Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

Part of the blame can be placed on the cut-rate, mega trucking companies that treat their drivers so badly that their turnover is tremendous. Most don't last a year.

They will hire about anybody that can meet the basic requirements. Their training produces "steering wheel holders", not truck drivers. A few will last long enough to move up to better companies and eventually become truck drivers.

That plus people in general aren't as courteous as they used to be, on the road or anywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Whenever I approach an onramp (I'm already on the freeway and in the rightmost lane) and I see a truck on the onramp, I move one lane over, conditions permitting.
Thank you!! We aren't able to accelerate very quickly (because our power-to-weight ratio is vastly lower than that of a passenger car), and this makes it more difficult for us to merge into heavy traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Don't flash the high beams. Just cut the lows off for a second or two.
I'll second this suggestion. High-beams aren't good for our night vision.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Part of the blame can be placed on the cut-rate, mega trucking companies that treat their drivers so badly that their turnover is tremendous. Most don't last a year.

They will hire about anybody that can meet the basic requirements. Their training produces "steering wheel holders", not truck drivers. A few will last long enough to move up to better companies and eventually become truck drivers.

That plus people in general aren't as courteous as they used to be, on the road or anywhere...
Has nothing to do with the companies the job itself is a rough one most people can't handle. Even if they all increased pay the turnover rate will still be around the same. Living in a truck working 70+ hours a week dealing with everything on the road and being away from family most people can't handle no matter what the pay is. Not being able to take a shower every day, going pee in a bottle, not getting a good sleep, driving in crime ridden areas, truck break downs, sitting at shippers and receivers for hours, dealing with 4 wheelers, dealing with other truckers backing into you or damaging your truck, living in a truck the size of an average house bathroom, eating unhealthy truck stop food, on and on and on. 99% of people can't handle all of that.

And lastly the "new breed" of truckers have to go through more training then the old school drivers did. Back in the old school days there was no rules and regs like today.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM

174 posts, read 189,904 times
Quote:
Came here to say this. I'm not sure you're ever supposed to flash your high beams. except maybe to pass - definitely *not* to signal it's safe to cut in.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Passenger car drivers behave badly around trucks. I'm sure it is not anyone here, because you guys know your cars and driving, but a large number of car drivers do foolish and dangerous things around the trucks. I'm sure that has something to do with the truck drivers feeling less courteous about the car drivers when the car drivers seem to intend to kill them.

To be fair, those same self-absorbed drivers are doing the same dangerous things around other cars, but it is even more dangerous around a heavy truck that can not stop in a short distance.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
And lastly the "new breed" of truckers have to go through more training then the old school drivers did. Back in the old school days there was no rules and regs like today.
Back in the old school days you didn't just get a truck because you had a license.... There is big difference when you are small owner that is handing your very expensive equipment over to someone or if you are operating yourself. I worked my way up. I started with pickup when I was 14 on private property, then it was moving larger trucks around in the yard, then it was driving on the road with experienced driver, then it was following experienced driver in another truck... last but not least it was taking trips on my own.

I know smaller owner operators in my area if you don't have 10 years experience don't even bother applying. Those jobs more often than not are filled through the grapevine, they pay well but you aren't going to get it simply because you passed some test.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
It used to be easier back in the day to be courteous because there were fewer cars on the road and fewer idiots driving them. Today with so many people on drugs, cell phones or texting you have to be so defensive that it has come to be an every man for himself situation.

When I drove a box truck in the 90's I remember all the courtesy and respect I had for the big rigs.
Many drivers don't have a clue about courtesy, it is all about them and a big truck is just a big annoyance for them.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Today with so many people on drugs, cell phones or texting you have to be so defensive that it has come to be an every man for himself situation.
I almost killed a guy on a cell phone once, I was coming down a hill and had the green light at bottom. A guy in a car who had the red light stopped in the middle of the intersection because he was preoccupied with his call. I'll never forget the look on his face when he realized where he was and turned to see that giant grille and bumper coming at him getting ready to T-bone his car. Fortunately for him there was no one coming in the other lane and I had just enough time to safely move the truck into the other lane. If I had been little sooner I probably would not even had tried to avoid it and drove right into him. It would not surprise me at all if he pissed and **** himself.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

More experienced truck drivers use the "marker interrupt" to acknowledge, which is a special button on the dash or steering wheel that cars don't have. When the button is pushed and held it cuts all the lights on the rig except for the headlamps. Usually guys will do a double tap on that.

I do both. Daylight flash. Night time turn on off

Old 04-21-2016, 11:42 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
When I was learning to drive, my mother used to have me take the turnpike so I could get used to driving among the big trucks. At 17, it was quite unnerving, especially in the heavy truck area of northern NJ where I grew up. I learned a lot that has helped me throughout the last almost 50 years of driving all over the country. I still move to the left lane when they are picking up speed on a downhill to let them use that to build speed for the uphill and signal for them to pull in - surprised that many truckers these days don't seem to get that's what I'm doing. Recently, I have often waited quite a long time for the signal for ME to pull back in after passing.

Road courtesy, cars/bikes/trucks, sure does seem like it's going the way of the dinosaur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive