Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:33 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times

Advertisements

Tires, Brakes, other fluids other than oil. Brakes is a fairly simple DIY job if you've got the right tools. You won't save much money changing the oil but other fluids like the tyranny fluid you can save alot with a DIY job.

You could easily get it under a grand if you're frugal. That's assuming nothing major goes wrong, buying used you always run the risk that the previous owner didn't believe in oil changes. I would budget $1000 a year or so to maintain the car, I feel like that's a safe estimate. Thats not including Gas, insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 03:39 PM

546 posts, read 764,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Tires, Brakes, other fluids other than oil. Brakes is a fairly simple DIY job if you've got the right tools. You won't save much money changing the oil but other fluids like the tyranny fluid you can save alot with a DIY job.

You could easily get it under a grand if you're frugal. That's assuming nothing major goes wrong, buying used you always run the risk that the previous owner didn't believe in oil changes. I would budget $1000 a year or so to maintain the car, I feel like that's a safe estimate. Thats not including Gas, insurance, etc.
omg lol .so how much with gas, insur. ?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I did the math a few years back as a work related assignment. Actual mile per mile driving costs at about 40 cents a mile. Gas, tires, oil changes, 30,000 mile major services brakes, fluids, normal wear and tear parts, not to mention a new set of windshield wiper blades every year!

Not counting insurance and registration, which is not related to actual driving. If I only drove my car 10 miles a year the cost of insurance would work out to $100 a mile!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Assuming we are talking outside of gas and insurance, it shouldnt cost you more than a couple hundred/yr for normal maintenance.

I rember years ago I had an '81 Monte Carlo. I bought it from my boss in 1988 with 118,000 miles on it. Even then in the era of disposable cars I got 7yrs out of it and in the time I had it I put brake pads on it, an alternator, and a water pump and put $1000 into an engine rebuild. Back then the car barely cost me $200/yr to maintain if you average it out over the 7yrs I had it.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Assuming we are talking outside of gas and insurance, it shouldnt cost you more than a couple hundred/yr for normal maintenance.

I rember years ago I had an '81 Monte Carlo. I bought it from my boss in 1988 with 118,000 miles on it. Even then in the era of disposable cars I got 7yrs out of it and in the time I had it I put brake pads on it, an alternator, and a water pump and put $1000 into an engine rebuild. Back then the car barely cost me $200/yr to maintain if you average it out over the 7yrs I had it.
Of course the real penalty was having to own/drive an 81 Monte Carlo for 7 years!

Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
There is almost no way to predict what a car will cost you per year, especially a used car. If something breaks, especially something major, then your estimates go out the window real fast.

Under normal circumstances, you can figure gas costs, oil changes, insurance, and fixed costs like that. 25 miles a day would probably be 3 gallons per day tops, maybe 2 gallons. You would change oil every 6 months, at about $20, if you do it yourself, and $30 at an oil change place. Insurance is based on your age, record, etc. Tires should last a few years, based on that mileage.

I like to drive cars I pay cash for, because I hate car payments, so, when something breaks , I take the hit. But, for me, that is preferable to writing a check every month for car payments.

The facts are, every time you turn the key, it costs you money in some fashion. Every mile you drive is one less mile the car will last, or that some part will last. There is no free ride, in ANY car.

That being said, $5000 is a little excessive, IMO.

Don

Old 05-07-2016, 11:41 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
And what happens to other scheduled maintenance?
The other scheduled maintenance is once every 5 to 10 years depending on how many miles a year you put on it. Even if you follow all recommended maintenance it still wouldn't total $5K in an single year.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,255 times
It depends, my advice would be to stay on top of your maintenance calendar. I make sure I go every 3/5 months. I get a pass because my care is mostly used on the weekends.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The other scheduled maintenance is once every 5 to 10 years depending on how many miles a year you put on it. Even if you follow all recommended maintenance it still wouldn't total $5K in an single year.
No, it wouldn't. But regular scheduled maintenance (depending on what it involves) is usually around 10K miles.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:37 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Just make sure to put money aside for the unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive