Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:55 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good except that you can BUY a lojack system, AND get free installation for $695;

LoJack - Recovery System for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Equipment, Cargo & Laptops - LoJack

which means the dealer is marking up the system by $300
Or it wasn't truly installed so they were just trying to make more cash then install it. Dealer surely pays less than $695 also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
<snip> I have read in the past that since dealers make money via financing, they prefer not to have cash deals and might not negotiate as much on total price and one should only mention cash after the price has been established.
Correct: It's a well earned stereotype that the dealer's profit revenue from financing can be much greater than the actual sale, so dealers love if you finance with them.
Make the deal for a cash amount, with financing to be discussed after you get a Drive-Off-The-Lot price.

OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
The dealer is reputable. They are one of the biggest dealers in the country (world) and have independent dealerships for all the major brands (Xyz Ford, Xyz Honda, etc...) in the area. Great Yelp reviews, which is shocking for an auto dealer. I went to another one of their dealerships (different brand), the day before, and while they still went for the "4 square" trick, they did not force Lojack onto the car.
Some dealers are just franchises, either local or regional, so it's hard to anticipate how ethical they are. And Yelp reviews (and other social media) can be biased by a bunch of different ways, so Buyer Beware.

As for your specific situation, I was in a similar one. I gave the dealer of list of dealer-options:
  • Options I Must Have. ie: Dealer handled Tax & Title (a good deal vs taking off work for the hassle at the DMV)
  • Options I want and will pay for, but only the parts cost. To make the sale the dealer must toss in the labor. This is a great move as the dealer makes the sale, but isn't out cash, just install labor. ie: Alarm system, trunk-mounted disk changer.
  • Options I won't pay anything for, but won't kill the deal (IE: Lojack).
  • Options I won't pay for, as I consider them a part of the dealer's overhead. (IE: floor mats, 1/2 tank of gas, dealer's paperwork). These are typical line-adds directly used to bump the dealer profit.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good except that you can BUY a lojack system, AND get free installation for $695;

LoJack - Recovery System for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Equipment, Cargo & Laptops - LoJack

which means the dealer is marking up the system by $300
As I said, the dealer is in business to make money. It's only an issue if they hard-sell it or won't back off of it.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Yes, they are. It's the same as etching the VIN into windows or something. Almost no one would buy them if the dealer didn't do it for you already and then make you pay. It's pointless and worthless.
Just because it has no value to you doesn't mean it has no value to someone else. Plenty of people want a LoJack, plenty don't.

And regardless of whether it has value to you or not, it certainly doesn't qualify as a scam to try and add it in. It's not a scam to try and sell add-ons.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:55 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Just because it has no value to you doesn't mean it has no value to someone else. Plenty of people want a LoJack, plenty don't.

And regardless of whether it has value to you or not, it certainly doesn't qualify as a scam to try and add it in. It's not a scam to try and sell add-ons.
It's a scam when it's already included and the dealer will not remove it. Plain and simple. If it was an "add on" it would be presented by the finance manager at the time of sale. Not already done to the car when I go to buy it

Had a dealer try to pull that with me and a $300 "security" fee which included a special sticker with a code on all doors, the trunk lid, hood, wheels etc that could then be traced if removed from the car. I told them if someone stole my car and removed my doors, I could care less about retrieving the said door. Not to mention, who steals car doors and windows?

Old 05-09-2016, 02:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post

It's a scam to advertise a car for sale at a certain price, but then not let you get out the door without paying the price + $995 for lojack.

If the dealer advertised the car in the paper without the cost of the lojack, OP can actually report the dealership to the state attorney general for false advertising. It's a classic bait and switch, and it's illegal.

I went to a dealership that did this- they advertised a car for $27,999, which from my research was a good price (somewhere between KBB retail and private party), so I said "I'll take it". When they came back with the paperwork it had a $1,000 prep fee added to the price on top of the other normal fees (plus another $400 for "doc fee"). I left the lot and while leaving told him that his boss would be hearing from the attorney general's office. A few minutes later while driving away, the price was magically a couple hundred below $27,999 with no silly fees.

It's illegal in most states to advertise a price but then make it impossible for a buyer to buy the car at the advertised price, with obvious exceptions for taxes, registration, etc.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post

If the dealer advertised the car in the paper without the cost of the lojack, OP can actually report the dealership to the state attorney general for false advertising. It's a classic bait and switch, and it's illegal.

What you are describing is NOT bait and switch. Bait and switch is where one thing is advertised(that thing does not exist) and when you show up they move you to a more expensive and different product. Lo Jack is just a dealer added service, if you don't want it, don't pay for it. Its really that simple

Old 05-09-2016, 04:51 PM

242 posts, read 493,301 times
Thanks everyone. I did not ask for the Lojack to be removed. Simply left and asked here. It was late on a Sunday and I was busy all weekend. I am in no rush and I am playing the waiting game to make them sweat. If it sells, I won't be too disappointed.

I googled "four square" trick and that is not what they did. The had a 3x3 grid which contained the monthly payment breakdown between various loan schedules and down payments. But the full amount was hidden in those numbers.

At this point, there is a bigger lingering issue which occurred to me afterwards. I will create another topic.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
It's a scam when it's already included and the dealer will not remove it. Plain and simple. If it was an "add on" it would be presented by the finance manager at the time of sale. Not already done to the car when I go to buy it
How is that any different than what I said? I've qualified it every time with "so long as the dealer removes it." Perhaps the dealer has a high rate of people asking for LoJack and just went ahead and put it on. Here in Texas, it's not unusual at all to have window tint added on. It's not a "scam" when they add the price on to the price of the car. It's only a scam if they don't adjust the price if you object.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's a scam to advertise a car for sale at a certain price, but then not let you get out the door without paying the price + $995 for lojack.

I went to a dealership that did this- they advertised a car for $27,999, which from my research was a good price (somewhere between KBB retail and private party), so I said "I'll take it". When they came back with the paperwork it had a $1,000 prep fee added to the price on top of the other normal fees (plus another $400 for "doc fee"). I left the lot and while leaving told him that his boss would be hearing from the attorney general's office. A few minutes later while driving away, the price was magically a couple hundred below $27,999 with no silly fees.

It's illegal in most states to advertise a price but then make it impossible for a buyer to buy the car at the advertised price, with obvious exceptions for taxes, registration, etc.
First, that's not "bait and switch." Second, nowhere has the OP said the dealer made it impossible to buy a car at an advertised price.

Quite a lot of assumptions going on in this thread. It's buying a car, it's not war. It's a business decision on both sides. It either works or it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive