Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

1. Which one offers more space for luggage and stuffs? Which one offers more passengers' seats?

2. What type of vehicle is this one http://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_j...bt_600x450.jpg ?
Do you also know its model?
It depends on the size of the vehicle. A full size SUV(Suburban) can hold more stuff then a crossover. Most SUVs come with 2 rows(5 people), some come with 3(fit 7). Just about all vans can fit 7.

That vehicle looks like its a Suzuki SX4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The picture of that Durango and the Nissan Quest look similiar because that Durango is really a crossover. A lot of crossover and minivan are very similiar these days. In fact, it's even more confusing when minivan can be equiped with 4WD and Crossover are lowered to the same height as minivan.
Wrong. Durango isn't a crossover. It use to be based on the Dakota pickup truck. I believe its a unibody frame now.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Try going to a car site--specifically Blue Book or Edmunds or Car and Driver

Plenty of automobile specific info by mfg, make, reviews, forums with personal comments

Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

1. Which one offers more space for luggage and stuffs? Which one offers more passengers' seats?

2. What type of vehicle is this one http://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_j...bt_600x450.jpg ?
Do you also know its model?
1) Minivan or passenger van. Minivans are smaller, passenger vans larger but less efficient use of space. Full-sized SUV like a Suburban comes pretty close to offering the same passenger/luggage space as a minivan though. Minivans are as cool as Velcro shoes so there's a big market for things that look like SUVs, which resulted in the crossover craze which are just cars like the Durango that look like SUVs. There's the constant challenge of image and practicality. Buyers want the cars that look like SUVs to look like SUVs but also want practicality like a minivan which makes it tougher to style the thing to look like an SUV.

2) That's a hatchback. No clue on the model. Something similar to a Toyota Yaris or Mazda2. We don't have very many small hatchbacks in the US. The size up (Kia Soul, Mazda3, arguably the Honda Fit although it's fairly small) are growing but still relatively small market.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-12-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
That's a CUV, the compact version of an SUV. Can't tell from the photo, but CUVs include the Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage, Honda CRV, and VW Tiguan. Some of the larger SUVs can hold as many passengers as a van, but in general a van holds 7, SUV 5. With the seats removed the van can hold more luggage, and with the SUV it varies, some have a longer storage area than others. You can see from the photo that the one you posted has very little space behind the back seat, but with only two people the seats will fold down for more storage space.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Wrong. Durango isn't a crossover. It use to be based on the Dakota pickup truck. I believe its a unibody frame now.
Used to be being the operative word. Not sure why you're contradicting yourself. It used to be an SUV and now it's a crossover, which is what's happened to most SUVs. Not that many left, most are now crossovers.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Tim

Suzuki no longer sells vehicle in the US. The value of them has dropped like a rock. Best to avoid them unless you can get a real good deal.

I own a Suzuki Gran Vitara and while I like the car and plan on keeping it for a long time, I realize it has little value.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:54 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
which makes it a crossover!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's a CUV, the compact version of an SUV. Can't tell from the photo, but CUVs include the Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage, Honda CRV, and VW Tiguan. Some of the larger SUVs can hold as many passengers as a van, but in general a van holds 7, SUV 5. With the seats removed the van can hold more luggage, and with the SUV it varies, some have a longer storage area than others. You can see from the photo that the one you posted has very little space behind the back seat, but with only two people the seats will fold down for more storage space.
CUV to most people means crossover and not compact. Durango, mentioned above, is a crossover and certainly not compact. Huge difference between a Jeep Wrangler and a CR-V. Both are compact "SUV"s to some people. CR-V is a CUV, Wranger is an SUV. They're both compacts. Most people prefer to reserve CUV to mean crossover for that reason rather than compact.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
OP don't feel bad about not knowing the difference between SUV vs. VAN. I couldn't tell the difference between cars unless I read the little logo in front/back. That was until 3 months ago when I started car shopping & went to test drive lot of cars and started reading review. Now I have opinions on cars & looks and signature style of a company which I can recognize even without logo.

Its cool. Regarding your topic. SUV looks cool but VAN hold more people. But as others said there are few SUV that can match VAN but on average SUV holds less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive