Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Haha yeah.... that's exactly what the Mustang did. He had the whole lot to choose from... I guess he wanted to park next to a Challenger. Notice how I'm shifted to the right... which is how I park in the big spots.

I haven't tried buying 2 parking spots yet... what I've done so far has worked out well.

People don't get it... it's not about being greedy...

I'm just trying to keep that ^^^ from happening to my ride.
Are you planning on modifying your Challenger? I voided the warranty the week I drove mine off the lot lol. Someone dented my front fender but I was able to get it repaired for $120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:13 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
I tend to park away from others, and what I have found is that I am likely to attract similar cars. Case in point, I was at a busy, upscale shopping mall recently, and found a spot next to a curb, with a landscape buffer behind, and I backed into the spot. When I left, I was the only car there, but upon my return there were six other cars in the same row, then blank rows, and then the people who park close to the store entrance. It was surreal, but not unusual in my experience.

It can backfire, though, parking in the far reaches of the lot. I was out of town and at another shopping mall, and came out of a Dillard's store, knowing that I had entered through it. I could not find the car, and there was a moment when I was doubting myself, but I was exhausted from traveling, and the valet stand was not open at the P.F. Chang's, where I met some people with whom I work, and it was then that I realized that the particular Dillard's in question was an end store with doors across from each other, so I walked around the building, and there was the car. It was amusing, but a potential hazard of parking in the far reaches of the lot.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM

505 posts, read 848,583 times
I try to park at the end of the lot whenever possible. The area near the store entrance is usually a mad house with kids running around, rogue shopping carts and lines of cars waiting for open spots. I get a chuckle walking past the latter because there are plenty of spots open if they'd just drive 20 ft ahead but they just HAVE to park near the entrance.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call it selfish. I certainly don't park like I do because I'm trying to hog all the parking spots. All I'm concerned about is you parking next to me and dinging my car.

This is what I was talking about earlier... LOL

As you can see... someone got happy with the sidewalk chalk. I'd NEVER do that in my car because you are just asking for trouble.

I keep it simple... parking on the end... big parking spots... I park shifted to one side leaving 2 feet or so between my car and the line... and it has worked out well for me.
I do the same. Often that is fine, but sometimes someone then parks so as to exactly put the normal amount of space between his or her car and mine. It's like a game, alright, like they don't think we should have more space on one side. Talk about overthinking.

My truck is not new but it is in excellent condition. I take great care not to touch anybody else's vehicle. So when someone with another vehicle that is NOT new yet still in excellent condition parks next to me, I take that as a good indication. After all, every vehicle was new at first. Some buyers of new vehicles start dinging early on. Someone with an older car that is not dinged is probably someone who thinks along the same lines of avoiding dinging!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Park diagonally across two spots or on the painted line taking two spots.
Some humorous solutions to those who think their precious car is deserving of more than one parking spot=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=takin...parking+spots+

Old 05-16-2016, 11:44 AM

759 posts, read 637,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Are you planning on modifying your Challenger? I voided the warranty the week I drove mine off the lot lol. Someone dented my front fender but I was able to get it repaired for $120.
Ouch! Glad you got it squared away.

Nah, I haven't done anything to the engine yet. I did remove the center of the interior headlight on the right side and installed a modified Hellcat airbox with a pipe straight from the light to the box... then I removed it on the other side so things would match and to give it the extra mean look to go with the ram air. The other side probably keeps the engine a couple degrees cooler too with the outside air coming straight into the engine compartment.

I may mod it later... but I dunno... My best 0-60 is 5.3 and that's good enough for me. She's plenty fast enough to get me thrown in jail. Haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I tend to park away from others, and what I have found is that I am likely to attract similar cars. Case in point, I was at a busy, upscale shopping mall recently, and found a spot next to a curb, with a landscape buffer behind, and I backed into the spot. When I left, I was the only car there, but upon my return there were six other cars in the same row, then blank rows, and then the people who park close to the store entrance. It was surreal, but not unusual in my experience.
Yep!

Here's the rear view of the pic I posted upthread.

As you can see, the Mustang had plenty of open spots available. He obviously just wanted to park next to the Challenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

My truck is not new but it is in excellent condition. I take great care not to touch anybody else's vehicle. So when someone with another vehicle that is NOT new yet still in excellent condition parks next to me, I take that as a good indication. After all, every vehicle was new at first. Some buyers of new vehicles start dinging early on. Someone with an older car that is not dinged is probably someone who thinks along the same lines of avoiding dinging!
Absolutely! I open my doors as if my car is parked next to me.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Going slightly off the main topic, I hate places that stripe the spots only for small cars. Some of them are painted with the word "Compact" on them, some are just obviously small. Some places have both small and normal size spaces, and that's fine--I abide by their designations.

But I refuse to patronize the businesses that obviously do not want customers who drive vehicles that don't meet their notion of PC-ness. Yes, these places really exist. So the places that ONLY have small places get crossed off my list of stores.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM

759 posts, read 637,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Going slightly off the main topic, I hate places that stripe the spots only for small cars. Some of them are painted with the word "Compact" on them, some are just obviously small. Some places have both small and normal size spaces, and that's fine--I abide by their designations.

But I refuse to patronize the businesses that obviously do not want customers who drive vehicles that don't meet their notion of PC-ness. Yes, these places really exist. So the places that ONLY have small places get crossed off my list of stores.
Totally agree. I avoid those places because under no circumstances am I going to squeeze my car into a spot where another car is 8 inches off my door.

Not happening.

I've made it 18 months without having to call the PDR guy because I've avoided parking in those spaces.

On the other hand... as I said upthread my neighbor had his new Challenger less than week and it had a nasty door ding on the passenger door and front fender.

Still had the temporary tag too... Sad.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:09 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,373,552 times
Quote:
Grouping? It's possible I guess.

I went to the mall recently and did my usual... I parked way out on an end spot... and when I came out I saw this...

I thought it was pretty cool that despite having a parking lot full of empty spots that this 2015 Mustang owner would park right next to my 2015 Challenger.
All that's missing is a Camaro and you'd have the Big 3 of muscle cars. I have a 2015 Camaro RS and put a lot into it to keep it nice. Always park it in the back of the lot and 95% of the time I haven't had a problem with idiots getting too close.

Some people just don't care, though. Whether is out of disrespect, jealousy, or ignorance, the idiots are out there. It's unavoidable one will get you when you least expect it. I've been lucky so far but inevitably it will happen, no matter how hard I try. You can only do your best to avoid this stuff or not take the car to the kinds of places where that might happen.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
If you bought a car to draw attention, don't be surprised when it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive