Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM

174 posts, read 189,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll go further and observe that in almost 60 years on this planet I have not witnessed even a minor re-design of any road I use. No matter how much discussion, anger, emotion, accidents, tie-ups, etc, etc. and etc. that is caused by the present design, they remain the way they have been since before I came into the world and, I imagine, will remain thus for the rest of my natural life, and some time beyond that.
Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it's never happened. Though if you've never witnessed even a minor redesign of any road you use, it doesn't sound like you've ever strayed very far from where you were born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 02:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll go further and observe that in almost 60 years on this planet I have not witnessed even a minor re-design of any road I use.

I'm only half your age, but I've seen plenty redesigns of the roads I use. The roadways in the county I grew up in look nothing like they did maybe 10-15 years ago. And even where I live now, I can think of plenty of exits and on ramps that have been redesigned.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:47 PM

35,019 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
Today, I was driving home from fishing with a friend, and I could not exit the freeway where I intended to because the lane was a weave lane (entrance and exit ramp at the same time), and there were so many cars entering that I could not find a space to squeeze into. The ramp is literally about 30 feet long, so I had about 2 seconds to try and get over, and I couldn't. I then got off the next exit, turned around in a parking lot thinking it would get me back on track, but I wound up back on the freeway in the same direction I had already come from. By the time I finally got home (took the next exit and took the surface streets home), I was so frustrated it ruined the good mood I had been in. My question is, why do these types of lanes exist if they are so dangerous for drivers? If that exit lane was not a weave lane, I would've been able to exit the freeway where I wanted to and avoided this frustration.
I sympathize because I-287, the Cross Westchester Expressway uses many of those lanes. The problem is there is no alternative. For example, I-684, a major north-south road must connect with I-287, and downtown White Plains, the real reason for both highways' being, has its exit about 1/2 mile from where I-684 enters.

Both, unfortunately, are indispensable.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
Are you supposed to stop on the freeway while you're waiting for the opening? Because when you're going 55mph or better, you can only wait so long for it to materialize.

I don't think you understand that when there's a on-ramp using your off-ramp's lane, it's entirely possible for you to be blocked from exiting the freeway.
You shouldn't be driving 55 mph if you know your exit is coming, weave lane or not. With a weave lane, traffic is forced to slow down. Even here in Massachusetts where drivers are beyond aggressive, it's understood how weave lanes work - you line yourselves up so cars kind of come together like a zipper (every other car) before splitting into their appropriate lanes. The only time you wouldn't be able to get over is if you tried to bypass the lane of traffic in the right lane waiting to get off the highway. And that's the only time weave lanes really feel dangerous.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:44 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Are you supposed to stop on the freeway while you're waiting for the opening? Because when you're going 55mph or better, you can only wait so long for it to materialize.

I don't think you understand that when there's a on-ramp using your off-ramp's lane, it's entirely possible for you to be blocked from exiting the freeway.
Why do you think I don't understand it? I've been driving for many years now. I know exactly what is being discussed. One thing, if there were so many cars that you can't get over, then you can't drive 55 through there. It will be too congested. It is possible, during congestion, that one may have to stop, or slow way down. The OP needs to learn how to merge assertively when using these kind of exits and entrances. If you could go 55, a turn signal and take a gap in the flow (possibly having to slow a bit) is all it takes.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:

What I do when the opportunity to get on the ramp is short is slow down to 40 mph and put my flashers on. My tennis club is a driveway off a 40 mph limited access highway where the traffic moves at 55 - 60 and I slow down to 20, put my flashers on and I don't care how much the car behind me is upset.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
Quote:

I would force my way into the exit lane. Traffic entering a freeway is required to YIELD to traffic already on it. Most entrance ramps have one of those yield signs that nobody pays attention to.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I would force my way into the exit lane. Traffic entering a freeway is required to YIELD to traffic already on it. Most entrance ramps have one of those yield signs that nobody pays attention to.
Good advice but the "yield" sign is usually up-ramp from the "weave" lane.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Good advice but the "yield" sign is usually up-ramp from the "weave" lane.
Trucker is right; yield signs are usually placed on the ramp for vehicles entering the highway. However, the point is that you shouldn't have to force your way into the exit lane (at least, ideally). This is why interchange configurations which create weaving movements (namely cloverleafs) are generally not suggested as safe and practical designs.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
@ Prof Griff - but they exist and sometimes the only way to exit is by being aggressive.

When I first moved back to NY after living in New England for nearly 30 years, I had forgotten how aggressive drivers are in the tri-state area. It took a little while but I got back into it. I'm glad we aren't there any more. 20 years of driving aggressively like that was easy to let go of (and my blood pressure has dropped) but the only option is to be faced with what the OP does - drive 1, 2, or even 3 exits past where one wants to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive