Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Sounds about right to me. You yield at the sign. You don't proceed past the sign until you can enter the highway safely.
I think a yield sign at a location like that is about as meaningless as a yield sign in the middle of nowhere on a straight road with no cross road. If something (car, bike, pedestrian) crosses the lane at that point, you probably need to yield. Once you are past the sign, you no longer need to pay any mind to it. A yield sign certainly doesn’t change basic road lane right-of-way.

For one thing, since I believe very few states put yield signs on entrance ramps like that, It makes me think they are not part of The Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Which means they are not approved by the FHA. Basic road lane right-of-way regulations are federal regulations. So I’m pretty confident that lane right-of-way laws have precedent over those stupid yield signs on entrance ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
In which case I am occupying the weave lane and you must yield to me, even if you are trying to exit. Just like you must yield to me if I am occupying any other marked lane.
I don't know how NY does it, but around here, you should not be occupying the weave lane in the first place until you have first yielded to traffic on the highway that is close enough to be a hazard. But, like I said, just about all on-ramps up here have yield signs on them, even non-weaving on-ramps with standard acceleration lanes.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:36 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
I don’t know why you are not getting it. The bolded part was irrelevant. You are not even listening to what I’m saying. It was the same mumbo jumbo about traffic entering the freeway must yield the right-of-way to the motorist leaving. I have acknowledged that. That's why I gave the example of me staying in the weave lane and not entering the freeway. In which case I am occupying the weave lane and you must yield to me, even if you are trying to exit. Just like you must yield to me if I am occupying any other marked lane.

You can’t pick and choose which traffic laws you want to apply and which you want to ignore. They are all relevant, including in this case basic lane right-of-ways. Like this from New York which is based on federal traffic regulations, so it’s the same or similar in every state.

Article 25 - NY Vehicle and Traffic Law
You better go re-read my post. I did not ignore what you were saying. It does not matter if you are entering the main lanes or staying in the weave lanes, you must yield. It is that simple. Now, the driver exiting is supposed to change lanes safely, but that does not change who has the right of way. This is the same thing I have been saying multiple times. Why do you not get it? The law in just about every state says entering traffic (including you) must yield to traffic exiting.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
I think a yield sign at a location like that is about as meaningless as a yield sign in the middle of nowhere on a straight road with no cross road. If something (car, bike, pedestrian) crosses the lane at that point, you probably need to yield. Once you are past the sign, you no longer need to pay any mind to it. A yield sign certainly doesn’t change basic road lane right-of-way.

For one thing, since I believe very few states put yield signs on entrance ramps like that, It makes me think they are not part of The Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Which means they are not approved by the FHA. Basic road lane right-of-way regulations are federal regulations. So I’m pretty confident that lane right-of-way laws have precedent over those stupid yield signs on entrance ramps.
Federal guidelines do not override state law.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:41 PM

You wanted a DMV quote? Here you go: (Page 11 of pdf)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen.../Chapter_4.pdf

Quote:
Weave Lanes

A weave lane is both an entrance and an

exit for an expressway. Traffic may come onto and leave the expressway at the same location. This traffic weave causes conflicts, both for motorists using a weave lane and those on the expressway and entrance ramp (in terms of speed and space adjustments). The motorist entering from the entrance ramp must yield the
right-of-way to the motorist leaving the expressway.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know how NY does it, but around here, you should not be occupying the weave lane in the first place until you have first yielded to traffic on the highway that is close enough to be a hazard. But, like I said, just about all on-ramps up here have yield signs on them, even non-weaving on-ramps with standard acceleration lanes.
That is a federal regulation. I said it is the same or similar in every state. I just chose NY, because it was easy to find. Below is the similar law from Maine. It says the same thing.

The fact that there may be a yield sign on the entrance ramp does not excuse you, from using due care when entering the weave lane. If you believe that you can just swerve into the weave lane without first making sure it’s safe, just because you are exiting, you had better hope that any vehicles you hit don’t have a drive cam, because you are going to be at least 50% at fault.

Quote:
§2051. Traffic lanes
When a public way has been divided into 2 or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, the following provisions apply. [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

1. Single lane. A vehicle must be operated as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane.
[ 2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §27 (AMD); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF) .]
1-A. Movement from lane. A vehicle may not be moved from a lane until the operator has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.
[ 2003, c. 452, Pt. Q, §28 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF) .]
Maine Revised Statutes - §2051. Traffic lanes

Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You better go re-read my post. I did not ignore what you were saying. It does not matter if you are entering the main lanes or staying in the weave lanes, you must yield. It is that simple. Now, the driver exiting is supposed to change lanes safely, but that does not change who has the right of way. This is the same thing I have been saying multiple times. Why do you not get it? The law in just about every state says entering traffic (including you) must yield to traffic exiting.
No, it is not that simple. You are still not listening. The car staying in the weave lane absolutely does not have to yield. He is not entering the main roadway, so the regulations that you keep quoting are irrelevant. The car changing lanes is guilty of an unsafe lane change, if he hits a car already in the weave lane, under both state and federal law.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Federal guidelines do not override state law.
I believe they do. Federal law always trumps state law. Anyway the state traffic laws are all based on federal regulations. Otherwise traffic laws would be completely different in every state.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You wanted a DMV quote? Here you go: (Page 11 of pdf)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen.../Chapter_4.pdf
You are still not listing. You are quoting totally irrelevant crap, that has nothing to do with the example I gave.

The first step is understanding that state driver’s manuals are not traffic laws, unless they quote a specific vehicle code. Driver’s manuals are just a bunch of crap written by DMV employees, about stuff they want you to know before you drive in the state. In some cases following the material written in a state driver’s manual could get you a traffic ticket. There are many cases of material in driver’s manuals conflicting with actual vehicle code.

What I have quoted are actual state vehicle codes, based on federal laws.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 PM

You drive the way you want. Everyone else seems to. You're just making stuff up now. I already said the car exiting has to make his lane change safely. Going by the rules of the road, your staying in the lane does not give you the right of way. Go ahead and test it. Hit somebody and see what the judge will say. This right here is the problem with driving in this country. Everyone just makes up their own rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive