Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluck View Post
So many people tailgate and follow way too closely for absolutely no reason at all.

I live in an area with mostly single lane backroads (one lane in each direction), no passing zones and very small shoulders. People are just on my ass all the time. Some days it's like every car that gets behind me is tailgating my ass. I drive with the flow of traffic. I don't drive annoyingly slow or inconsistent and I am well versed on the rules of the road. I always keep right except to pass. I know how to drive.

I'm always very conscientious about following distance and not getting close to people's bumpers because I know how much it annoys me. I don't understand why other people on the road cannot have even an ounce of self-awareness. What is so hard about just keeping even just a two car-length distance back? Why do people have to just get RIGHT UP on your ass when you are already over the speed limit and have a line of cars in front of you anyway? Two car-lengths is all I ask.

Not only driving though. This also happens when you're outside the car, like when you're walking for example. You're just out for a little stroll and then somebody has to walk right behind you practically breathing down your neck..and they refuse to just go around you. I remember I was in the mall one time and some lady is pushing a baby stroller behind me practically hitting the back of my heels with it. And then when I slowed down she nearly rammed me with the stroller and freaked out at me for it. What makes people exhibit these annoying, disrespectful, pushy behaviors? Why can't people just have an ounce of respect and self-awareness? Why doesn't anybody have a concept on personal space?
The OP sounds way too entitled and must be a slow person to have that issues. I honestly don't ever have people running into me when I walk unless somebody in front of me cut me off. I rarely have anyone tailgate me, if they can they must be driving fast.

I'm one of those people that if you drive below my car's most fuel efficient speed then I will tail gate you out of courtesy to ask you to move otherwise prepare for my honking. You have a right to drive your speed but you have no right to impair others from going their speeds. It is your obligation to move out of the way as soon as there is a change to do so. If I was driving heavy cargo and need to go slow, I would move out of the way to let faster cars move.

It's called courtesy, you show some and others will return the favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:36 AM

471 posts, read 977,430 times
I make a point to NEVER to react when someone tries to push me. Just turn the mirrors away so that they know you can't see them trying to glare a hole in the back of your head and drive the way you need to at the speed limits and all that.. Keep a small field of view for emergency vehicles of course..Life is too short to stress over idiots who are always trying to push and intimidate...

It just makes me smile when someone fails to push me, then roars around me and (I wait for this - people are so predictable) cuts over right in front of me like they are showing me some major disrespect....and then I pull up behind them at the next red light...LOL..they never learn...

Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have driven in six different states, including major cities like Denver, Salt Lake and the San Francisco Bay Area. I’m not saying I never get tailgated, but I aways lose the tailgaters pretty quickly.

If I see someone gaining on me in my rearview mirror I increase my speed and stay well ahead of them. If I get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle, and have tailgaters behind me, I pass the slow vehicle at the earliest opportunity. When passing I increase my speed to 80 to 85 mph, and keep it there for a minute or two after I get back into my lane. Then I start to gradually slow down to 65 mph. By that time I’m about a half mile ahead of the vehicles I passed. I’m never going to see any of those vehicles again, but if I do see one of them gaining on me, I'll increase my speed again, and stay well ahead of them.

It’s that simple. Tailgaters are only a problem for Type B drivers. I’m not a Type B driver.

You do know what word starts with A, don't you? Sounds like you're that kind of driver, indeed. Doesn't matter how many states you've driven in (it's entirely possible drive like an idiot anywhere, any time). Also sounds like you have real ego issues with anyone "gaining" on you - not the best combination with a driver's license.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Your example is in Roswell, not Woodstock, and the speed limit is 35 mph, not 40 or 45 mph. Also if you are going 55, I wouldn’t call that a parking lot. Parking lot = stop and go traffic.

Anyway I can see at lease a couple of places in that image, where you could pull off, if you really wanted too.
Oh, you mean pull over ENTIRELY OFF THE ROAD into someone's driveway or parking lot (and from the driveway visible you'd have to then back out into traffic) so that the Type A driver doesn't have to slow down and has it acknowledged that they own the road?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
So many people tailgate and follow way too closely for absolutely no reason at all.

I live in an area with mostly single lane backroads (one lane in each direction), no passing zones and very small shoulders. People are just on my ass all the time. Some days it's like every car that gets behind me is tailgating my ass. I drive with the flow of traffic. I don't drive annoyingly slow or inconsistent and I am well versed on the rules of the road. I always keep right except to pass. I know how to drive.

I'm always very conscientious about following distance and not getting close to people's bumpers because I know how much it annoys me. I don't understand why other people on the road cannot have even an ounce of self-awareness. What is so hard about just keeping even just a two car-length distance back? Why do people have to just get RIGHT UP on your ass when you are already over the speed limit and have a line of cars in front of you anyway? Two car-lengths is all I ask.

Not only driving though. This also happens when you're outside the car, like when you're walking for example. You're just out for a little stroll and then somebody has to walk right behind you practically breathing down your neck..and they refuse to just go around you. I remember I was in the mall one time and some lady is pushing a baby stroller behind me practically hitting the back of my heels with it. And then when I slowed down she nearly rammed me with the stroller and freaked out at me for it. What makes people exhibit these annoying, disrespectful, pushy behaviors? Why can't people just have an ounce of respect and self-awareness? Why doesn't anybody have a concept on personal space?

I never tailgate, either, I don't drive in the left lane unless I'm turning or passing, and I'd move a bit to the right if someone was riding my rear on a two-lane highway.

Yes, tailgating is dangerous. But so is playing passive-aggressive games by intentionally not allowing agitated drivers to pass you.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Quote:

Why, because they are annoying and also they want attention!

Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
When I first started driving a stick, I used to hate when people would pull right up to your rear bumper at a light...especially uphill. I'd try to make a point by revving the engine loud and moving up a foot or so just to give me some room...and they would pull right up along with me.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:26 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Your example is in Roswell, not Woodstock
Wrong side of the river!

Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, you mean pull over ENTIRELY OFF THE ROAD into someone's driveway or parking lot (and from the driveway visible you'd have to then back out into traffic) so that the Type A driver doesn't have to slow down and has it acknowledged that they own the road?
Yes, if you don’t like tailgaters behind you, that will work.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive