Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:22 AM

621 posts, read 1,126,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So when you said "many states" you just made that up? You just admitted that you don't know.
With all the problems this country has, Law makers have had to set aside important issues so they could address...waste their time to draft, vote on , and install what they call "slow poke laws" to address the behavior you condone.

That wasteful process has been successfully implemented in 38 different states. 38. 38 of 50 is many, most, an abundance, and the majority. I expect that you'll dispute the term "many" based on the omission of the US territories of Guam and Puerto Rico because that's how you people are.

Wanna go slow? ride the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,482,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Actually I think it has little to do with speed itself and more to do with the pack mentality. Just do this experiment a few times (usually works better on the interstate where they can pass as a group). Watch what happens when you're cruising along by yourself maybe 5 miles over. Pretty soon several cars will catch up and pull up close behind you. They'll stay there right on your bumper, not one pulling out to pass even though they could at any time. Until someone else from way back passes the whole line. Then watch as they all jockey to pull out from behind you and speed up until they can tailgate the car who just passed. Yep they all want to hug the butt of the current alpha dog, but not one of them has the guts to just pull and go themselves.
You have a good point about the pack mentality. The times I was tailgated and passed on the interstate, I almost always wound up passing those vehicles, because they want to pass you, but they don't want to leave the traffic behind. So, I usually wind up having to pass the very same cars that tailgated and eventually passed me.

But those who tailgate on two lane highways that are much slower are the main ones they grind my gears. I'm going 65MPH on a 55MPH highway - more than enough to get pulled for speeding, and the wackos behind me are tailgating.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,114,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtluck View Post
So many people tailgate and follow way too closely for absolutely no reason at all.

I live in an area with mostly single lane backroads (one lane in each direction), no passing zones and very small shoulders. People are just on my ass all the time. Some days it's like every car that gets behind me is tailgating my ass. I drive with the flow of traffic. I don't drive annoyingly slow or inconsistent and I am well versed on the rules of the road. I always keep right except to pass. I know how to drive.

I'm always very conscientious about following distance and not getting close to people's bumpers because I know how much it annoys me. I don't understand why other people on the road cannot have even an ounce of self-awareness. What is so hard about just keeping even just a two car-length distance back? Why do people have to just get RIGHT UP on your ass when you are already over the speed limit and have a line of cars in front of you anyway? Two car-lengths is all I ask.

Not only driving though. This also happens when you're outside the car, like when you're walking for example. You're just out for a little stroll and then somebody has to walk right behind you practically breathing down your neck..and they refuse to just go around you. I remember I was in the mall one time and some lady is pushing a baby stroller behind me practically hitting the back of my heels with it. And then when I slowed down she nearly rammed me with the stroller and freaked out at me for it. What makes people exhibit these annoying, disrespectful, pushy behaviors? Why can't people just have an ounce of respect and self-awareness? Why doesn't anybody have a concept on personal space?
The simple answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
With all the problems this country has, Law makers have had to set aside important issues so they could address...waste their time to draft, vote on , and install what they call "slow poke laws" to address the behavior you condone.

That wasteful process has been successfully implemented in 38 different states. 38. 38 of 50 is many, most, an abundance, and the majority. I expect that you'll dispute the term "many" based on the omission of the US territories of Guam and Puerto Rico because that's how you people are.

Wanna go slow? ride the bus.
You think I condone going slow? Hilarious! I don't condone making up laws though. He just said "many" without any knowledge. You say there are 38. Am I suppose to just take your word for it, or do you got a source?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I don't condone making up laws though. He just said "many" without any knowledge.
The only person making things up is you in your desperate attempt to pass a biased opinion off as fact.

Sounds like you wholeheartedly agree that 38 is indeed "many" and just want the proof before you offer an insincere apology to KaaBoom for your stupidity. 38. Check it out or you'll remain "without any knowledge".

Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,043,524 times
Quote:
So when you said "many states" you just made that up? You just admitted that you don't know.
You said it was only one state. That was all the evidence I needed to prove your wrong, and that’s all I’m going to provide you with. You were wrong. End of conversation.

Quote:
The only state I know of with that law is California.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM

469 posts, read 577,911 times
For lack of better words, because they're @ssholes, plain and simple. I hate tailgaters, especially when you're not in the passing lane and are doing 10 over.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You said it was only one state. That was all the evidence I needed to prove your wrong, and that’s all I’m going to provide you with. You were wrong. End of conversation.
I said I know of only one state. You have not proven me right or wrong, and neither did the other poster. You guys can make whatever claims you want, but please back them up with facts and/or sources. Neither of you can do so, so that calls into question your claim. Quit making up laws. I can factually state that none of the states I have lived in have such a law. That is all I claim to know for sure. I know 2 states now.( thank you KAaBoom for at least trying). Why is it so hard to back up what you say?

Old 06-09-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
The only person making things up is you in your desperate attempt to pass a biased opinion off as fact.

Sounds like you wholeheartedly agree that 38 is indeed "many" and just want the proof before you offer an insincere apology to KaaBoom for your stupidity. 38. Check it out or you'll remain "without any knowledge".
I didn't make up anything. I asked for a source. Got one?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I didn't make up anything. I asked for a source. Got one?
Yup, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive