Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 PM

76 posts, read 125,875 times

Advertisements

It's not worth getting a second vehicle to keep miles off a Malibu. Never mind using a truck for that purpose. If you had a sports car, it'd make sense to have a cheaper car to keep the miles off it.

Now, having a truck as a second vehicle can be great for hauling things and driving through the snow. Also very useful if you need to bring 1 car to the shop or you're waiting for a part to come in. Having an 2nd option to drive is a huge plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 01:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,622,308 times
If you are gonna get a 2nd car then buy a small gas sipping vehicle that is reliable.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 7,627,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
A friend I know bought another truck and is selling the one he has. It's a 2003 Ranger and runs okay and has had no major issues. He's just looking to get rid of it since it has 160k miles on it. He asked if I wanted to buy it and would sell it at a discount.

I bought a 2 year old Malibu late last year and the miles are racking up due to my 50 mile each way commute. It had 30k and I bought it and has 45k now in only 8 or so months! They are mostly highway miles but the miles are accumulating quick!

I thought maybe buy this truck and drive it for part of the year (warm weather months) to keep the miles on my main car down so it will last longer.

I have a relative who has just purchased another car and looking to get rid of her car (about 15 years old). She also asked me if I wanted to buy it, it's a full size car and she suggested I could drive that in the winter to save wear and tear on my main car.

If I keep driving my current car, it's going to hit 100k miles in the next two years at this pace.

Insurance should be pretty cheap since both of these vehicles are around the 15 year old mark.

Would it be a good idea to have another vehicle? Or are there drawbacks and hidden costs I'm not thinking of?
OMG, no. It would be cheaper to keep your existing car and run it into the ground, and then buy another car (that gets good gas mileage).

Insurance and maintenance,not to mention the lack of good gas mileage on that old geezer truck, would make that purchase a very unwise decision, IMO.

Then save your $ to move closer to your job.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:19 PM

707 posts, read 1,412,903 times
Trust me you want a Ford Ranger as a DD its just not comfortable at all.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,463,944 times
If you had a need for a second car, i.e., a 4WD or AWD for wintry weather, then I'd get a truck. If not, then it's probably not worth it to spend $2500 and insurance/maintenance on another vehicle to keep miles off a Malibu, not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's a regular FWD sedan and it's value to you is in the safe transportation it provides during your daily commutes.

I have more than one vehicle, and do think that it is a good option to have a second vehicle, but both vehicles you described are older and/or with higher mileage, so you will have higher maintenance and repair costs over time, although you did not mention the make/model of the relative's older car. If it is a Honda Civic, Accord or a Toyota Corolla, then I'd consider it, as even at an older age, you will have a generally reliable second car. The downside is the age and lack of advanced safety equipment that you have in a modern Malibu, so given the longer commute, you would put yourself at higher risk in a vehicle that does not have the latest in safety features, which I would want if driving 100+ miles per day.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,041,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
A friend I know bought another truck and is selling the one he has. It's a 2003 Ranger and runs okay and has had no major issues. He's just looking to get rid of it since it has 160k miles on it. He asked if I wanted to buy it and would sell it at a discount.

Well, I've always had a car and a truck. But I actually used to truck in restoring an old house. Comes in handy.

But if you are living with Mom and Dad or renting an apartment. The truck makes no sense.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:19 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,507,816 times
the logic is grounded.

I'd still get a garage inspections before purchasing just so you know the shape of it.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 PM

739 posts, read 849,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you had a need for a second car, i.e., a 4WD or AWD for wintry weather, then I'd get a truck. If not, then it's probably not worth it to spend $2500 and insurance/maintenance on another vehicle to keep miles off a Malibu, not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's a regular FWD sedan and it's value to you is in the safe transportation it provides during your daily commutes.
This is a truck, but a smaller one (ranger), not a 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have more than one vehicle, and do think that it is a good option to have a second vehicle, but both vehicles you described are older and/or with higher mileage, so you will have higher maintenance and repair costs over time, although you did not mention the make/model of the relative's older car. If it is a Honda Civic, Accord or a Toyota Corolla, then I'd consider it, as even at an older age, you will have a generally reliable second car. The downside is the age and lack of advanced safety equipment that you have in a modern Malibu, so given the longer commute, you would put yourself at higher risk in a vehicle that does not have the latest in safety features, which I would want if driving 100+ miles per day.
Good points re safety. The other car is a Monte Carlo, early 200s

Old 06-12-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
OMG, no. It would be cheaper to keep your existing car and run it into the ground, and then buy another car (that gets good gas mileage).

Insurance and maintenance,not to mention the lack of good gas mileage on that old geezer truck, would make that purchase a very unwise decision, IMO.

Then save your $ to move closer to your job.
The truck gets 28mpg on the highway, my current car gets 34 mpg

Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 PM

Good points pro and con, thanks all for the different perspectives! Still haven't made a decision yet but will think it over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive