Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
So any time you are driving, you never talk to another person in the car or on a cell phone, never tune the radio, or eat/drink anything?
I do almost all those things. So do most people. Which is why I think a future with self-driving cars will be an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 PM

557 posts, read 606,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I do almost all those things. So do most people. Which is why I think a future with self-driving cars will be an improvement.
Improvement in what?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Improvement in what?
Safer. Easier commutes. Less rubber-necking traffic for starters.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:47 PM

557 posts, read 606,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Safer. Easier commutes. Less rubber-necking traffic for starters.
Won't be safer, unless self driving cars get their own roads. Easier commute if you're riding in one, cause you can play pokemon and watch redtube the whole ride, but if they try to mix driverless cars and normal cars, there will be gridlock.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:15 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
So any time you are driving, you never talk to another person in the car or on a cell phone, never tune the radio, or eat/drink anything?
I will talk to someone in my car, but I for one do not use my cell phone while driving, no texting, no talking. I don't eat or drink anything in my cars, and my car has steering wheel controls for the radio... no need to take my hands off the wheel or eyes off the road to listen to whatever I want. There ARE good drivers out there, but we're a dying breed.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:51 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Auto driving WILL be implemented on ALL cars. It's part of the plan. If Ron Kurzveil said so - it WILL be so. I think by 2030 it will illegal to drive one without autopilot type system.
Most of the cars sold this year will still be on the road in 2030, absolutely no way will it be illegal for people to drive them in 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They mandate seat-belt use everywhere don't they. Do you drive without one? The number of cars on the road without air-bags are not statistically significant. Neither are the number of cars that require leaded gasoline. And where do you buy leaded gasoline? Nowhere. You have to put an additive in the only kind of gasoline you can buy: unleaded. Need higher octane than 91? Additive. Not sold anywhere from a pump. If the driverless thing takes off and they mandate its use, then you will have it, or God help you.
Seat belts are mandated in new vehicles but you don't have to have them, or air bags, or ABS or anything else if the vehicle didn't have it when it was made. It's not illegal to drive a car without seat belts if it wasn't built with them.

It's not hard to find a gas station that sells leaded gas, they aren't common but they are still around. Need higher than 91? Again, there are stations that sell it. Do you actually know anything at all about cars?

Old 07-16-2016, 04:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
He's not wrong that this system does nothing to fix traffic...
Autonomous systems that cannot communicate with each other are not going to help with traffic. A centralized system that could coordinate all traffic would vastly improve road utilization, drive times and efficiency. To do that would require all vehicles have it. You would no longer need stop signs, red lights or direction of travel on a road.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post

I'm also curious as to where other road users (cyclists, mopeds and motorcycles) would factor in to your prediction.

The cyclist would not be an issue but the motorcycle is not something I've considered and a very good point. They could be made driverless but unless they were three wheeled doing so would probably make them very inefficient. You'd need some kind rotational force going sideways each way to keep them balanced so I would imagine it would be very impractical if such a bike could be built.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Autonomous systems that cannot communicate with each other are not going to help with traffic. A centralized system that could coordinate all traffic would vastly improve road utilization, drive times and efficiency. To do that would require all vehicles have it. You would no longer need stop signs, red lights or direction of travel on a road.
Even without V2V communications, at the very least, autonomous vehicles should cut down on rubber-necking and other situations where traffic seems to slow down for no reason other than driver distraction.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Won't be safer, unless self driving cars get their own roads. Easier commute if you're riding in one, cause you can play pokemon and watch redtube the whole ride, but if they try to mix driverless cars and normal cars, there will be gridlock.
I can envision scenarios where autonomous cars would cut down on traffic. For instance in urban areas, when cars can park themselves, you could cut down on much of the excess traffic generated by people looking for parking spaces near their destination. The car can drop you off, park itself offsite and then pick you up later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive