Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times

Advertisements

Another Telsa autopilot wreck, luckily this one was non-fatal:

Driver: Tesla was on autopilot in Pa. Turnpike crash

In his crash report, Vukovich stated that Scaglione's car was traveling east near mile marker 160, about 5 p.m. when it hit a guardrail "off the right side of the roadway. It then crossed over the eastbound lanes and hit the concrete median."

After that, the Tesla Model X rolled onto its roof and came to rest in the middle eastbound lane. A 2013 Infiniti G37 driven in the westbound lane by Thomas Hess of West Chester, Pa., was struck by debris from the Scaglione car, but neither he nor his passenger was hurt.

Vukovich said he likely will cite Scaglione after he completes his investigation, but he declined to specify the charge.

Tesla says that before Autopilot can be used, drivers have to acknowledge that the system is an "assist feature" that requires a driver to keep both hands on the wheel at all times. Drivers are told they need to "maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle" while using the system, and they have to be prepared to take over at any time.

Last month at a conference in Novi, NHTSA chief Mark Rosekind argued that technology like Autopilot should be twice as safe as the manual systems they replace.

The other risk illustrated in the Florida crash is the tension between what automakers call automated driver assist features, such as emergency braking, lane departure alert and adaptive cruise control, and a more daring level of autonomy that is touted as allowing occupants to text, email, watch movies and otherwise disengage from driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 10:41 PM

759 posts, read 636,703 times
They should call it "Tesla driver assist" rather than "Tesla autopilot"... because that's what it is.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,706,517 times
i think i'm going to hang out in palo alto and hope a driverless car hits me, i could use the cash lol

Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
They should call it "Tesla driver assist" rather than "Tesla autopilot"... because that's what it is.
Kinda like how autopilot in planes and boats is meant to assist the operator?

Tesla has been abundantly clear the autopilot does not mean you climb into the car and sleep, watch videos, or whatever until you get to your destination.

Inattentive drivers are simply using it as an excuse for why they weren't paying attention, just like people use cruise control as an excuse for why they smashed into something.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 PM

759 posts, read 636,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Kinda like how autopilot in planes and boats is meant to assist the operator?

Tesla has been abundantly clear the autopilot does not mean you climb into the car and sleep, watch videos, or whatever until you get to your destination.

Inattentive drivers are simply using it as an excuse for why they weren't paying attention, just like people use cruise control as an excuse for why they smashed into something.
I know they have... and too many people have or will use it as an excuse to do exactly what it isn't intended for... sleeping and watching videos until you get to your destination... just as you said.

Oh... autopilot in planes vs Tesla's autopilot isn't even remotely close to being the same thing. Poor comparison.

Planes basically fly themselves... punch in a few coordinates and you can get from NY to Tokyo with a pilot who is asleep.

Tesla isn't quite there yet.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:49 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Isn't that a little disingenuous?

Notice for how much of the video the driver isn't touching the wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNhYGAgmZo

There are dozens more videos just like this. Some are worse. People reading books, watching movies, etc.

They are deliberately inattentive, to say the least.

I believe Musk encourages a culture of recklessness, no matter what Tesla's official disclaimers might say. It's not called Autopilot because they couldn't think of another name.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Another Telsa autopilot wreck, luckily this one was non-fatal:

Driver: Tesla was on autopilot in Pa. Turnpike crash

In his crash report, Vukovich stated that Scaglione's car was traveling east near mile marker 160, about 5 p.m. when it hit a guardrail "off the right side of the roadway. It then crossed over the eastbound lanes and hit the concrete median."

After that, the Tesla Model X rolled onto its roof and came to rest in the middle eastbound lane. A 2013 Infiniti G37 driven in the westbound lane by Thomas Hess of West Chester, Pa., was struck by debris from the Scaglione car, but neither he nor his passenger was hurt.

Vukovich said he likely will cite Scaglione after he completes his investigation, but he declined to specify the charge.

Tesla says that before Autopilot can be used, drivers have to acknowledge that the system is an "assist feature" that requires a driver to keep both hands on the wheel at all times. Drivers are told they need to "maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle" while using the system, and they have to be prepared to take over at any time.

Last month at a conference in Novi, NHTSA chief Mark Rosekind argued that technology like Autopilot should be twice as safe as the manual systems they replace.

The other risk illustrated in the Florida crash is the tension between what automakers call automated driver assist features, such as emergency braking, lane departure alert and adaptive cruise control, and a more daring level of autonomy that is touted as allowing occupants to text, email, watch movies and otherwise disengage from driving.
Tesla: The New Ford Pinto. That’s now two serious wrecks in 130 million miles. Their safety record is plummeting. I’m sensing a recall coming.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Isn't that a little disingenuous?

Notice for how much of the video the driver isn't touching the wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNhYGAgmZo

There are dozens more videos just like this. Some are worse. People reading books, watching movies, etc.

They are deliberately inattentive, to say the least.

I believe Musk encourages a culture of recklessness, no matter what Tesla's official disclaimers might say. It's not called Autopilot because they couldn't think of another name.
How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLmxS71FIJc

Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
The PA Turnpike is one the oldest highways if not the oldest highway in the country depending on who you want to argue with about it. It's built through the terrain instead of around it like most modern highways, it's extremely flat and straight in many areas but can have sharper corners than you would expect on a highway. Banking on those corners can be substantial for a highway. Cars traveling 90+ is common. There is two downsides to it. The median is concrete barrier for most of it and many sections are going to have little to no apron on the right side, there is not whole lot of room for error

Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
It's amazing that people are becoming test dummys for Tesla. They put out the autopilot feature and people are helping tesla test the system out with their lives.

Even for someone like me who is more savvy with technology than majority of the people I wouldn't trust Autopilot yet. There are too many situations unaccounted for that a software and sensors would not anticipate or make the best judgement.

For instance, yesterday I was changing lanes on a 2 lane road and a big truck was in front obstructing my view of the front. As I changed lanes, I carefully peeked over to see if the road was clear. Luckily I was going slowly, the minute I changed into the lane there was a slow car hidden on that lane that I couldn't see because the truck was in the way.

A computer program would need to account for that and process in real time what to do at that moment. If it could not see the other car it could cause an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive