Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There's actually a bit of a renaissance of manual transmissions happening right now.

Shift it yourself: Manual transmissions regaining popularity | Digital Trends
From that article: "Stick shifts used to be a cheaper option, but now automatics are a no-cost option on most cars, if a manual is offered at all."

Most new cars are no longer offered with a manual transmission. If they were, a significant portion of drivers would choose them. "If you build it, they will come."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
You will build a monster quadricep on your clutching leg! It'll be funner once you take it on Las Virgenes/Kanan Dume or if you're really brave... Decker Canyon! Have fun!
Las Virgenes? That's for beginners -- the real action is on Tuna Canyon Road.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:29 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet. Very few drivers use stick anymore. Trade in value will be lower.

I don't buy my cars for "The Next Guy"....

Let him buy his own.

In the mean time, I seek out manuals because it "pleases me".

Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
it's rough on the left knee using the the clutch all the time you sometimes never get to let it out all the way which really wears out the clutch as well.
You're doing it wrong, then.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It still does not matter, because all drivers back then, regardless of number drove manual (from kids to adults). What's happening today is that everything in our lives must be "easy." Soon enough we won't even drive automobiles, but let the automobiles drive for us. I learned to drive manual in the 60s in NYC and the rest of the boroughs, with heavy traffic jambs and the rest. That was not a problem to me. Nowadays the clutches are featherlight compared to years ago.
You make is sound like that's a bad thing. Not everyone is an enthusiast and wants to deal with manually shifting a car. You don't lose your man card because you prefer an automatic.

Same as people who like A/C or power everything (windows, seats, locks, steering). These make things easier and more comfortable to drive.

Modern amenities and features have make driving modern cars more enjoyable, safer, and yes EASIER. It's not such a bad thing

Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
The vast majority of guys who are on the road for a living are rowing 18 gears manually hauling heavy loads up and down inclines and through cities.

Manuals being bad in traffic is a marketing myth to sell everybody a $1000 automatic transmission add-on.
I don't believe there's a "saving" for a manual over an auto anymore as most cars are auto. IME, I haven't paid less for a manual since early 2000. Could be the cars I buy though. {Shrugs}

Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Still a $1000+ option on many cars that give you a choice. Some significantly more than that as it involves stepping up an entire package from the base. For those that don't it's just inherently baked into the price.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet. Very few drivers use stick anymore. Trade in value will be lower.
Actual trade-in value to a dealership (new or used), then maybe. Mostly because the people buying used cars are probably looking for an auto.

However, I'd say it depends more on the car; out of the 10+ cars that I've owned, only one really lost value because it was a stick (but that was understandable as it was an Accord). The OP said he wants a Miata and most Miata owners would want a stick (IME anyways). I have a stock Mazda 3 HB. Every time I go to the dealership, they price it out while I'm waiting (unbeknownst to me) and then a sales manager comes out and offers to buy it off of me because they are in high demand in the area.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Still a $1000+ option on many cars that give you a choice. Some significantly more than that as it involves stepping up an entire package from the base. For those that don't it's just inherently baked into the price.
We're not talking "advanced" auto options like triptronic, right? Or auto's coming with special features? I dunno, my Mazda 3 wasn't any cheaper than an auto. Neither were a handful of previous cars. Most base models I looked at 5+ years ago (granted, that is the last time I looked so I could be completely wrong), were auto. I just looked at the Mazda website and sure enough, the stick was about $1k less. Hmmm. Maybe it was due to what was available that it wasn't any cheaper, my car was the only one in a 250 mile radius, so maybe they jacked up the price. Hey!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yeah sounds like you just got ripped off there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive