Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,742,950 times

Advertisements

Especially when it isn't pitch black out yet. It's hard to tell if your headlights are on or not if it is overcast.

People have driven away with gas caps ajar, hood unlatched, trunk open. I wouldn't immediately call these people morons, just momentarily lapses in judgement. Same with driving without headlights. And like mentioned before, the car manufacturers aren't helping out by installing always-on instrument clusters. These used to be a tell-tell sign of whether headlights were on or not but not so much anymore

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,533,258 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

A previous poster said he has a car that DOES NOT have an indicator that tells you when your headlights are on.

As far as people being "idiots", I always remember the guy I was in the army with. He used to do math equations for relaxation, he was an electronics whiz, he's probably a millionaire today. He could never get down the concept of "lefty loosey, Righty tighty" as far as changing a tire or something like that.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-04-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,965 times
Back in the 90's, driving around without headlights at night was, in certain circles, part of a gang initiation process. You drive around with no headlights. Whoever flashes you, rolls alongside you trying to get your attention "gets got".

Don't know if this is still going on but please be careful out there!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:47 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,305,114 times
I've done way stupider things in my life than drive the first 1/2 mile at night with nothing but the daytime running lights. My DRL kick out enough light that it takes a minute or two to notice that I've managed to turn the automatic headlights off once again.

Aaahnold had no trouble doing it. Good enough for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBemvVNYdk

Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,809,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Don't buy into that excuse. Any moron knows whether it's day or night when they get in their car, streetlights or not.
I was in the car with a friend of mine after dark. He was driving along and all of a sudden I caught the driver beside us gesturing frantically so I rolled down my window and she shouted "your lights aren't on!"

His instrument panel was illuminated and we were in an area with a lot of street lights, so he didn't even realize he hadn't turned them on.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,704,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some of it may also be tied to the brightness of streetlights. People can see because of them and forget it's night.

The electric company redid ours a couple years ago and residential streets are so bright you can sit in your front yard and read a newspaper.
Bingo. Why turn on your headlights if it's not dark? I had a friend who lived on a hillside 5 miles out of town. You could read newsprint on his front porch by streetlights that were 5 miles away.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,599,148 times
This is what happens when you buy a vehicle without automatic headlights. All of my vehicles have them. I never have to worry about turning them on. My truck and my Jeep will also activate the headlights if the windshield wipers are turned on.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 08-04-2016 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,599,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
Back in the 90's, driving around without headlights at night was, in certain circles, part of a gang initiation process. You drive around with no headlights. Whoever flashes you, rolls alongside you trying to get your attention "gets got".

Don't know if this is still going on but please be careful out there!

Totally debunked. Go to snopes.com

Old 08-04-2016, 11:39 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,793 times
My husband and I have a game we play when driving: "indifferent", "ignorant" and "entitled" when we see irresponsible driving behavior. Some are all three. We recently added a front replacement bumper to our large truck with camper to see if it would make a difference in people who pass in oncoming traffic seeing us looming ahead or those who make abrupt left hand turns in front of us. It seems to have made a difference. Lights on all day and night for us when driving, espevially in unfamiliar areas. Drive safely.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,275,581 times
I realized every single time I brought my car in to the dealer for service they would switch the headlight control from automatic, where I always kept it, to off. Now I make a point to check it when leaving. I couldn't figure out why people were signaling me as I never had a problem with headlights before till I discovered this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive