Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:45 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

If you were to going to do a several thousand mile drive and wanted an auto to rent that had a really nice smooth ride what would you pick?

Just 2 people and couple of suitcases, that's all the cargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Mustang Convertible

Old 08-06-2016, 08:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Technically, you rent a class of car, not a specific car. In your case, I'd rent as large a car as you're comfortable driving for such a long trip.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:53 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Chevrolet cars. I use to valet park and the latest chevys were as comfy and quiet as cars costly a lot more.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I wouldn't go with the Largest class, that's the SUV and I find them tiring to drive for much more than a couple of hours. While I've only rented for Local travel (well, I drove around Ireland for 2 weeks in a Ford Fiesta, which was ideal), I'd also caution you away from the cheapest "tin can" class too, they're great for narrow/local travel. Beyond that, what does budget dictate? What's your personal preference? There are LOTS of options... have you always wanted to try out a top tier car? Rent the "Premium Elite" class (BMW 5 series is an example). Don't have that in budget, try the "Premium Standard" (Audi A3 ~ though I found that car to be less "premium" than my own VW Jetta). There's a "sporty" class (Dodge Challenger) as well as a "convertible" class (Mustang), etc...

All the vehicles will be newer and have a good/smooth ride. Just pick the class that is most appealing within your budget and enjoy the drive without being concerned about the Specific car.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Chevrolet- that sounds like the type of thing we're looking for. (What they used to call "a boat"). Budget not the biggest issue- just tired of traveling for vacation in economy class cars that we use for around town. I thought we could specifically request a brand of car for rental???

Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
I've never been able to specify a car brand online only at the counter. I think in general American cars have surpassed Japanese and just about equal to expensive Euro brands for long distance travel comfort.

Plus buying them used is a serious bargain.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:21 AM

OK thanks all!!! I guess we need to just specify "premium". Is Buick LaCrosse a good one? that comes up around here.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:40 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
When you reserve a class, you can ask at the counter which cars are available in that class when you arrive to pick it up. Then you'll have your selection of a specific vehicle. You can also ask which other vehicles are available in different classes. We once reserved a full size car, then switched at the last minute for a totally different car.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Chevrolet- that sounds like the type of thing we're looking for. (What they used to call "a boat"). Budget not the biggest issue- just tired of traveling for vacation in economy class cars that we use for around town. I thought we could specifically request a brand of car for rental???
There is no one answer.
What car is comfortable for one is not for the other.

You don't state anything about fuel economy.

You get a big "boat" with big engine and you pay dearly for gasoline.

I have rented large luxury rear drive cars of the 1980's and 1990's. Most comfortable cars ever. But they don't make any of those anymore.
I have also driven compact economy cars across country. Not as comfortable. No matter how one adjusts the seats.

It's one thing to drive a car for an hour or two with no complaints. It's another thing to drive a car 8+ hours per day.

Best to look at the seats. Are they small? Hard?
Does the car have a huge center console that will cramp your right leg?

There is no one answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive