Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:06 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Plus the Expedition has that 2nd row center seat which you can slide up and back about a foot to get the carseat closer to the front.
Mine slides up about 3 inches and not easily, so I never used it. Maybe the new ones slide up further ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there are only two SUVs available with second row captain's chairs. They're standard on the 2013+ Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and they're optional on the Dodge Durango.
Ford Explorers, Toyota Highlanders, Ford Expeditions, and I believe the Yukons all offer second row captains chairs.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:47 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
OP, I have 3 children now in their teen years and have owned 4 different mini-vans and a full-size SUV over the years. Currently own a 2015 Odyssey and a 2005 Expedition. My wife loves the higher up driving position of the Expedition but drives the Odyssey because it is newer and cleaner.

The Expedition is great - 170K miles with minimum repairs (but regular maintenance). It is a tank, will drive over everything. The 3rd row actually will fit an adult and is easy enough to adjust cargo capacity with the fold in the floor 3rd row (it's competitors didnt fix this shortcoming in their models until the 2015 model year and are very expensive). Gas mileage is poor, but people should know that going in for a vehicle of that size.

The Odyssey is nice, convenient, flexible, doesn't depreciate, etc. My 3 complaints are: 1) everyone in our area has one, 2) the front row needs more legroom for taller drivers (think the 2nd row might have more legroom than front row) and 3) our model, EXL, only has 2 power ports/cigarette lighter outlets (the Expedition, which is 10 years older, and a lower trim level has 4). Very inconvenient when 4 people in the front 2 rows need/want to charge 6 devices at a time. [First world problems I know]

Also, had a 2002 Mazda MPV, which had some reliability issues and fixing anything on it was extremely complicated due to its compact size. Had a 2008 Odyssey which we sold before 3 yrs because the transmission seemed like it was going. On the plus side it only cost us $100/month to own it, because they don't depreciate. Also had a 2010 VW Routan which was woefully underpowered, would occassionally cutout at highway speeds and had very sensitive sliding door buttons on the remote, so would frequently walk outside to a sliding door being open when we thought the van was locked up tight.
Thank you for the reply cheapdad.

Reading through many posts, we definitley will not put our kids in car seats in the third row. We want them in the safests part of the car. Not sure what is better, a bench seat in the middle row or pilot chairs. Seems almost all vans come with pilot chairs.I've seen a few that looked like maybe they had pilot chairs with a colapsable third seat maybe in between.

Also, reading through the posts, it seems that the Odyssey is maybe actually the cream of the crop of mini vans. Not knowing a lot about them, i just assumed it was the Sienna.

Almost, Saturday, looking forward to getting over to the dealerships and seeing what they have to offer.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:51 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We were shopping for a new one earlier in the year and there were great deals in the Odyssey. We decided to keep our Sienna for another couple years, but we were getting quotes for the 2016 Odyssey SE for $25,300. We were going the new route because, as PP mentioned, they don't depreciate that much so instead of getting a 2014 for $24,000, you can get a 2016 for $1.5k more.
That sounds like a deal for a new Odyssey.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Ford Explorers, Toyota Highlanders, Ford Expeditions, and I believe the Yukons all offer second row captains chairs.
Also meant to add the Honda Pilot to that list. The Odyssey also offers a 2nd row bench with foldable/removable center (I think).

Old 08-19-2016, 11:35 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The Odyssey also offers a 2nd row bench with foldable/removable center (I think).
Odyssey 2nd row is two stand alone bucket seats. The middle piece is another singular piece that is either a hump seat or folds down to a cupholder. All three pieces can be easily taken apart & rearrange in any order you wish.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
I'd give consideration to buying a new Kia Sedona or Dodge Caravan, just because from new you don't have to rely on the previous owners maintenance and upkeep. Those two, but specifically the Dodge, can be had at great doscounted prices.

Dodge is very generous with their service department, if that's your justifiable hang up. Chrysler invented the minivan, they do it better than anybody else.

My wife has a Hyundai/our beater, and after 2 years and 55,000 miles it's a pretty decent car, I don't see why that wouldn't carry over to Kia.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:43 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Odyssey might seem like the cream of the crop, but it isn't. They're all good vehicles. Just about any of the minivans will meet your needs. The Dodge, though, gives you more for less money, and the stow and go, an exclusive on Chrysler/Dodge vans, made it the winner for us.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:33 PM

459 posts, read 620,151 times
We have the 15 Sienna and love it, the dope saying they are slow has never driven one.
They are quick, even carrying 8 adults but are rather noisy at full throttle.
Previous generation Pilot was a dog, avoid like the plague.
Previous generation Sedona was let down by horrible transmission programming, but had very impressive brakes and could turn on a dime.

I personally would avoid a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle now because they were designed when the company had no money to do proper development, I think this is going to hurt reliability long term.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
We have the 15 Sienna and love it, the dope saying they are slow has never driven one.
They are quick, even carrying 8 adults but are rather noisy at full throttle.
Previous generation Pilot was a dog, avoid like the plague.
Previous generation Sedona was let down by horrible transmission programming, but had very impressive brakes and could turn on a dime.

I personally would avoid a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle now because they were designed when the company had no money to do proper development, I think this is going to hurt reliability long term.
The Dodge/Chryslers have been in development so long that if there were any expensive problems they've been mostly worked out. You don't buy a car the first year its redesigned for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive