Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times

Advertisements

I've never owned a car before, thanks to an awesome public transit system I've never felt the need to own one. And if I did need a ride, I had Zip car and other car sharing services at my disposal. BUT, I'm getting married and it'd be really awkward if the future wife were driving us around all the time.

My budget is anywhere from 20-40K and it's a wide range b/c I've been looking at everything from a Mazda 6 and a Prius to a C Class/Lexus/Audi. Basically what I'm looking for in a car is this: a sporty look with good reliability and good gas mileage. I love the Prius because of the mileage but I don't like the way it looks, if that makes sense? I've read good reports on the Mazda 6, I'm a huge fan of the Honda Accord Sport and that's my front runner. However, I took a drive in a C class and enjoyed the hell out of it but the maintenance costs are probably going to be big. I haven't test driven an Audi or a Lexus but in the case of an Audi, things like leather seating and a roof are their standard options rather than add ons like the C class.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Your Honda Accord idea is the way to go. Very reliable and not outrageous maintenance costs like Audi, MBs. Only look at the German cars if you plan on trading them off when the warranty expires.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:53 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
You could get a fully loaded Honda Accord Coupe. You'd have reliability and sporty looks.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Your Honda Accord idea is the way to go. Very reliable and not outrageous maintenance costs like Audi, MBs. Only look at the German cars if you plan on trading them off when the warranty expires.
Yep, my idea if I went higher end would be to trade it in as soon as the warranty expires and move onto something else. Regardless of what kind of car I got, I don't plan on driving it every day. So I may be naive when I say I'd be shocked if I got 10K miles per year on it.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:59 AM

732 posts, read 884,434 times
Why not go for a Tesla 3? It has excellent mileage, maintenance is low and it's sporty.
Only downside is you have to wait until 2017-2018.

Other than that, go for the Accord.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:12 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Can I ask your ballpark age and vicinity of where you live (State is close enough).

Being as you don't have a driving or vehicle insurance history, you're probably going to get slammed on insurance. More so if you're young. The more valuable the car, the higher the premium.

Also, being inexperienced and depending on where you live (e.g. snow or frequent rain), I'd say you can plan on banging up or totaling your first vehicle, maybe the first couple vehicles.

I'd run your current vehicle choices through some insurance agents to get quotes. It may be a deciding factor on which to select.

If I were in your shoes, I'd avoid the premium vehicles and actually select a used Accord or similar for under $10K and pocket/hold the remaining $ until you have some miles under your belt.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Can I ask your ballpark age and vicinity of where you live (State is close enough).

Being as you don't have a driving or vehicle insurance history, you're probably going to get slammed on insurance. More so if you're young. The more valuable the car, the higher the premium.

Also, being inexperienced and depending on where you live (e.g. snow or frequent rain), I'd say you can plan on banging up or totaling your first vehicle, maybe the first couple vehicles.

I'd run your current vehicle choices through some insurance agents to get quotes. It may be a deciding factor on which to select.

If I were in your shoes, I'd avoid the premium vehicles and actually select a used Accord or similar for under $10K and pocket/hold the remaining $ until you have some miles under your belt.
31 and live in DC. We don't get a lot of snow. I mean last year we got like 28 inches total, but the year before that we had a couple of inches all winter so the weather here varies. My fiance has a Wrangler, and she does understand regardless of make and model, my car probably won't be used to drive in the snow. I've been driving on a regular basis the last few years but I didn't take into account how much insurance would be.

My initial thought was to go used, but some of the cars I'm interested in go anywhere between 15-20K (dependent on miles really) and I figured for an extra 5 to 6K, I may as well buy new. Bad line of thinking?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 AM

308 posts, read 499,295 times
I would go with the Honda Accord idea also. It will be more practical and reliable. With it being your first car, you don't want to overwhelm yourself with higher maintenance and insurance cost.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
If you're looking for reliability, I would cross the Audi and Benz off the list.

Last edited by CarnivalGal; 08-17-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
31 and live in DC. We don't get a lot of snow. I mean last year we got like 28 inches total, but the year before that we had a couple of inches all winter so the weather here varies. My fiance has a Wrangler, and she does understand regardless of make and model, my car probably won't be used to drive in the snow. I've been driving on a regular basis the last few years but I didn't take into account how much insurance would be.

My initial thought was to go used, but some of the cars I'm interested in go anywhere between 15-20K (dependent on miles really) and I figured for an extra 5 to 6K, I may as well buy new. Bad line of thinking?
Being in DC, you can probably scratch "some" of the weather factor but due to pure volume of traffic in that metro area, I wouldn't reduce the # of fender benders related to daily driving.

I'd still suggest you check with an insurance agent before making any purchase. Not sure when you plan on getting married but insurance will probably go up on the Wrangler as well. We just added our daughter to our auto ins and said which vehicle she'll be driving. I got the bill and they have her driving that vehicle but also added her to our 2 most expensive vehicles since they're at the same place and she theoretically could drive them (although we won't let her).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive