Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
man If I can tow a trailer with a v8 dodge dakota, ill be happy! I really like how the dodge dakotas look ha ha! But so far I am just aiming at a used f250 or if my MPG is not bad on my k10 chevy 1974, ill just keep it.

i hired a mechanic to change quite a few stuff on the K10 and he is estimating 11 - 12 MPG after doing the twins ticks carb configuration etc. Sadly I have a big block (well good but sadly on the mpg) I also wonder if a 1974 k10 with a big block and 4 speed is more than capable of hauling a 6,000lb RV

The V8 Dakota would no doubt haul your loads, but don't expect much gas savings over a full size. I think you'd be better off with a full size pickup equipped with a towing package, maybe even a diesel. Especially if those several states you mentioned involve long grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,211,031 times
It is funny how in this country we all think we need big trucks to tow anything but it all comes down to weights and capacity. You don't want to over load your trucks engine and transmission.

I have been to Ireland several times and over there they tow everything with small cars. I saw small cars with 4 cylinder engines pulling horse trailers that here in the states would have a F250 3/4 ton truck doing it. A relative bought a 26' boat that I would question my crew cab F150 towing but he used his VW Toureg.

The major hurdle in towing anything is overheating your vehicle going up a incline and burning up the brakes going down.

Having the ability to safely stop a trailer is more important than pulling it.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM

376 posts, read 499,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have been to Ireland several times and over there they tow everything with small cars. I saw small cars with 4 cylinder engines pulling horse trailers

Thats stupid and those people should be severely reprimanded for that. I dont know if they are just ignorant or what but they dont have the mass, the brakes, the power, appropriate class 3 receiver for horse trailer, etc.... How can they merge safely on the highway? Not to mention what about the safety of the horses?

IMHO an F-250 is far more appropriate for horse trailers.

God I hate Europe and its ****ty small cars.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
It's Ireland. Short distances and no mountain grades. Relax.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:03 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
Probably wouldn't take much of a gradual incline to slow that down to a crawl. I think the major difference is, and I'm only speculating here, but I'm guessing that it's probably one horse in a tiny trailer, the people that I've seen hauling livestock/horses, in a super duty, are usually 4+ animals. Now you get 4, 1,000 pound animals plus a 2,000lb+ trailer, feed, and equipment doing that with your Renault sedan would fry it quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive