Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
ok bare with me as i try to decipher the things that need to be done b/c i don't full understand it all and i only took quick notes while he was talking lol
- rear brakes (got the front ones done last year)
- calipers (?) are frozen
- flex pipe (?) (or exhaust pipe?) needs to be replaced
- new wiper blades
- rotate tires
- belt (some kind of belt?) should be replaced/fixed/something? at 90,000 miles, which has never been done and i'm at 105,000 miles so they want to fix this - this is a big ticket item about $1,000 alone

does any of that make sense? lol

From looking at your list, yes, those are items that need to be done to keep the car safe and alive.

Rear brakes, with a frozen caliper is certainly in need of being done.

Exhaust pipe, must be rusted out, ask them to show you that and if so, have it done. Fumes in the car are deadly.

Wiper blades, eh, that is a gray area, but if they are not wiping clean, then yes.

Rotate tires, this is one that is questionable, but since two back ones will be off for the brake job, how much are they charging for that job ? Should not be much, if anything.

Belt, they are probably talking about the timing belt, and yes, VERY important to do on some cars more than others. If it breaks, it can cause internal engine damage and spell the end of that motor or at least cost a whole lot to repair. ( I killed a Honda Accord when I ignored the timing belt and it broke. Pistons kissed valves and it was done)

The $1000 for the timing belt could be reasonable, but call another mechanic or dealer and ask how much they get to do the same job on the same make and model.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
ok bare with me as i try to decipher the things that need to be done b/c i don't full understand it all and i only took quick notes while he was talking lol
- rear brakes (got the front ones done last year)
- calipers (?) are frozen
- flex pipe (?) (or exhaust pipe?) needs to be replaced
- new wiper blades
- rotate tires
- belt (some kind of belt?) should be replaced/fixed/something? at 90,000 miles, which has never been done and i'm at 105,000 miles so they want to fix this - this is a big ticket item about $1,000 alone

does any of that make sense? lol
First, you're not texting us here. Use upper and lower case as a courtesy.
Your own dad advises you to have your old car repaired, so you come on here where you have never met any of us and want us to advise you?
Do you think car maintenance is optional? Sorry to rant but as an Aircraft tech (A&P) , I get a little crazy when people challenge a service schedule even when they admit they don't understand what any of it means.
Listen to your dad!

Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
First, you're not texting us here. Use upper and lower case as a courtesy.
Your own dad advises you to have your old car repaired, so you come on here where you have never met any of us and want us to advise you?
Do you think car maintenance is optional? Sorry to rant but as an Aircraft tech (A&P) , I get a little crazy when people challenge a service schedule even when they admit they don't understand what any of it means.
Listen to your dad!
Well im 28, so id like to start doing these things myself rather than relying on my dad for this, i mean will i still need him to do this when im 40? Didnt think it to hurt to ask here... And why not challenge it to make sure that they are doing things right? Just like someone mentioned chAllenging a doctor who advises someone to have surgery.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
From looking at your list, yes, those are items that need to be done to keep the car safe and alive.

Rear brakes, with a frozen caliper is certainly in need of being done.

Exhaust pipe, must be rusted out, ask them to show you that and if so, have it done. Fumes in the car are deadly.

Wiper blades, eh, that is a gray area, but if they are not wiping clean, then yes.

Rotate tires, this is one that is questionable, but since two back ones will be off for the brake job, how much are they charging for that job ? Should not be much, if anything.

Belt, they are probably talking about the timing belt, and yes, VERY important to do on some cars more than others. If it breaks, it can cause internal engine damage and spell the end of that motor or at least cost a whole lot to repair. ( I killed a Honda Accord when I ignored the timing belt and it broke. Pistons kissed valves and it was done)

The $1000 for the timing belt could be reasonable, but call another mechanic or dealer and ask how much they get to do the same job on the same make and model.

Don
Thank you for this info !

Old 08-30-2016, 07:12 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
OP: this is the job. You could always do it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_a-ECaWSU

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Your dad trusts these guys for a reason. They may be a little pricey, but they sound honest enough. And I trust your dad, so... lol

It doesn't sound like they are screwing you over. I had almost all that SAME work done recently to my 2006. Replace the belt, too. You don't want that breaking on your at 2:30 in the morning.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I wondered why it took so long for someone to recommend a self proclaimed nonknowledgeable person, who had to ask if brakes were an important fix, do the work herself.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Your dad trusts these guys for a reason. They may be a little pricey, but they sound honest enough. And I trust your dad, so... lol

It doesn't sound like they are screwing you over. I had almost all that SAME work done recently to my 2006. Replace the belt, too. You don't want that breaking on your at 2:30 in the morning.
Ok thanks. My dad is very stuck in his ways so just another reason why i didnt think it hurt to ask lol but im glad the work sounds reasonable. Thanks !

Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
How likely is that to happen? Im actually driving pretty far on friday for a trip to another state. Now im actually worried the car will break down? Probably a 600 mile round trip. Can it wait?
I'm assuming that you are asking if the timing belt can wait. That all depends on how far past the recommended service interval it might be. There is almost certainly some amount of 'safety factor' built in, but the further you go past it the more likely the eventuality becomes. It is also partially dependent on how the car has been driven, certain styles/conditions of driving cause more wear than others.

None of us can really give you any dependable advice on this particular matter, there are too many factors that we cannot calculate. Ya rolls the dice and ya takes ya chances.

But if you *don't* fix it first, you might want to consider a AAA membership (premium, with increased towing allowance), at least you'll be able to get rescued if you *do* get stranded. I carry AAA and a big box of tools when I go on long trips- they have both saved my bacon more than once, and breakdowns are much less inconvenient. (I once got stranded in VA (alternator failure), 80 miles from the back side of nowhere, had to hoof it to get a cell signal and it took some hours for a tow truck to reach me, garages were all closed but the driver towed me right to a parts store that was still open and had the alternator I needed, and 1/2 hour after that I was back on my way again.)

Old 08-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm assuming that you are asking if the timing belt can wait. That all depends on how far past the recommended service interval it might be. There is almost certainly some amount of 'safety factor' built in, but the further you go past it the more likely the eventuality becomes. It is also partially dependent on how the car has been driven, certain styles/conditions of driving cause more wear than others.

None of us can really give you any dependable advice on this particular matter, there are too many factors that we cannot calculate. Ya rolls the dice and ya takes ya chances.

But if you *don't* fix it first, you might want to consider a AAA membership (premium, with increased towing allowance), at least you'll be able to get rescued if you *do* get stranded. I carry AAA and a big box of tools when I go on long trips- they have both saved my bacon more than once, and breakdowns are much less inconvenient. (I once got stranded in VA (alternator failure), 80 miles from the back side of nowhere, had to hoof it to get a cell signal and it took some hours for a tow truck to reach me, garages were all closed but the driver towed me right to a parts store that was still open and had the alternator I needed, and 1/2 hour after that I was back on my way again.)
yeah i have triple AAA... it definitely is giving me peace of mind. i've used them a few times for flats and they are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive