Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 AM

597 posts, read 667,090 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to the ones that are independent of the vehicle's main audio/touch screen system - not one that is actually installed to replace existing audio.

Just something I was thinking about if I ever want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
They work okay. FM modulation and be a bit picky. You also need to make sure you put the antenna on the highest place on the vehicle.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
I had one of those in one of my trucks. It worked OK, but would fade in and out a bit more than I liked. This was years ago, so Im not sure how much better or worse they got. Im noticing now too, it seems like the built in recievers seem to be getting bad about losing signal. I get to sevral spots where it cuts in and out so much I just hit the standard station buttons. My 08 Chevy truck had it and I never had any problems with it going in and out, but the 3 vehicles I havewith it now cut in and out more.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
I have one on each of my 3 vehicles.
They work fine.
There is signal loss in some mountain areas.

You can install yourself or pay to have installed. I paid a car stereo shop $30.00 to install antenna.
Best Buy for example will sell and install all.

I drive across country and have never had a bad signal.

These portable units can be used in car and used in home with a boombox unit. I do both with same receiver.

The receivers have a built in modulator. This is, you find a vacant FM channel and the satellite stations will broadcast through that vacant FM channel. Driving across country I have had to change the FM channel a few times.

Some receivers are Sirius and some are XM. Do a little reading as to which one you want/get.

The subscription pricing is all over the place. Read up on some forums as to how to get the pricing/plan best for you.
I pay the extra $2.00 for a US mailed bill. No credit card.

My plan includes internet XM radio. I listen/download the talk shows that I like and burn them to a CD disk and play at times I want.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
There are two key issues when it comes to the portable satellite radios. If you don't do both of these, I think you will be unhappy with the results.

1. Be sure to spend the extra money and get the FM Modulation hard wired into your radio.
Something similar to this.
https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-FMDA...adio+fm+direct

2. Have the antenna properly installed. If you just have it sitting on your dash, it might work decently in clear areas, but you get near buildings and such, the signal will come and go. For the best possible reception, it needs to be installed on the exterior of your vehicle. This is relatively cheap to have a shop perform, and I highly recommend it.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:37 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They work okay. FM modulation and be a bit picky. You also need to make sure you put the antenna on the highest place on the vehicle.
I disagree. You can just put the antenna inside the car on the shelf/deck behind the rear seat. The satellite is 20+ miles in space. A few inches of height is not going to make any difference.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
You won't be able to use the steering wheel controls to change the channel. I don't use mine anyways, but it's a big deal to some people.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:53 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I disagree. You can just put the antenna inside the car on the shelf/deck behind the rear seat. The satellite is 20+ miles in space. A few inches of height is not going to make any difference.
I had to rig mine up quickly before a long trip so I have my antenna on the front dash and it works great.

Also, most have a port/cord for an Aux input, so, instead of FM Modulation, you can just plug it right in.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Also, most have a port/cord for an Aux input, so, instead of FM Modulation, you can just plug it right in.
I wish I had an Aux input.. I have to use the FM Modulation and.. 90% of the time, I keep it tuned to 106.7 which is a dead zone that works good.. But.. Some odd mornings, when atmospherics are apparently just right.. I have to tune it to 106.5.. Then some mornings to 101.5.

Pain in the butt when I have to do that, but..

Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You would be surprised. I have had many different radios and have had XM since they launched the service. Everything from dedicated aftermarket tuners, portables(Inno,Onyx, Roadie, Skyfi,Skyfi2)to factory installed units. I have also hae antennas on the dash, rear package shelf and on the roof. When the antenna was installed outside if the car it always gave the best reception in urban areas. Its not the height that is the problem, when you have the antenna on the inside of the car, its just that many more things for the signal to go through before it gets to the antenna. I never said having the antenna on the inside of the car will not work, I just said for best results is should be on the outside.

Last edited by Me007gold; 09-01-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive