Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a surround sound receiver that can bridge any of it's internal channels? I have powered main speakers, an amp for the rears, and 2 powered subwoofers. That leaves the center channel, which will be (relatively speaking) lacking in power as compared to the other channels. I was involved in the A/V business until a few years ago, but have been out long enough that I don't know all the stuff that's available now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Hi there,
I was looking for the same... forum for electronics.... can you help me out though since you said you were in this business for a while...
Thanks in advance.

I own a relatively old Onkyo HT-S3400 system. I do not know how to connect a mp3 player (non-ipod) to it and enjoy music.

I am living with that, but now I am thinking of getting another audio system for the other room, and this time I want to make sure that I can connect my mp3 player to the system.
Is there a generic method to connect the external mp3 players these days to the receiver OR do I have to check each receiver to verify if it allows for the input ?

Can you suggest any 5.1 HTIB's or combo's that I can get for around $400 or less for a 12 x 15 room ?

Now I am going to post this in 20 other forums !! lol.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM

393 posts, read 652,373 times
There is a website you need to check out. Its located at
AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin
I have been a member for many years and there are members there who will actually walk you through repairing your electronic equipment. There are experts in every electronic category who are more than willing to help you.
They are the best.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Does anyone know if there is a surround sound receiver that can bridge any of it's internal channels?
I've not seen that as a feature in a while. I think I had an older one that had higher output in 2ch mode then it did in 5ch mode, but the newer ones I've had are just 5, 6 or 7 ch mode all day long.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi there,
I was looking for the same... forum for electronics.... can you help me out though since you said you were in this business for a while...
Thanks in advance.

I own a relatively old Onkyo HT-S3400 system. I do not know how to connect a mp3 player (non-ipod) to it and enjoy music.

I am living with that, but now I am thinking of getting another audio system for the other room, and this time I want to make sure that I can connect my mp3 player to the system.
Is there a generic method to connect the external mp3 players these days to the receiver OR do I have to check each receiver to verify if it allows for the input ?

Can you suggest any 5.1 HTIB's or combo's that I can get for around $400 or less for a 12 x 15 room ?

Now I am going to post this in 20 other forums !! lol.
Any MP3 player that has the mini 3.5MM plug can be connected to any analog input (besides phono) by using a mini-to-RCA connector. You'll need to control the MP3 player via it's own controls. Many newer receivers can control an Ipod, but no other MP3 players. Another option is to connect the computer you use to load the MP3 player directly to the sound system.

No recommendations for a packaged system except to look for one that is a combo of other off-the-shelf components. They're usually a better value, and individual components can be sensibly replaced without the need to replace the whole system. At $400 you're not going to find a lot of variance between one system and the next. If I were you I'd buy a piece at a time, including shopping used. $400 doesn't buy much in new, complete, packages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
There is a website you need to check out. Its located at
AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin
I have been a member for many years and there are members there who will actually walk you through repairing your electronic equipment. There are experts in every electronic category who are more than willing to help you.
They are the best.
I'm familiar with that site. Just thought I'd throw out the question here.

I know what the problem is with my old receiver. It's the HDMI board, it's over $300 for the part, and it's not worth it to me to repair. That receive doesn't take audio off the HDMI, and now I want something that does. For this purpose, my needs have changed in the 4 years since I bought the old receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I've not seen that as a feature in a while. I think I had an older one that had higher output in 2ch mode then it did in 5ch mode, but the newer ones I've had are just 5, 6 or 7 ch mode all day long.
The reason the older receivers showed a higher per-channel output in 2 channel mode was the power supply. The early power supplies couldn't handle the power needs of multi channel amps, but eventually they caught up. Also, in the early days of surround sound, the center and rear channels were not full range, so they didn't require as much power. 5.1 and the new surround sound formats need equal power in all channels to perform correctly. Every newer receiver I know of will switch to 2 channel audio but only in the cheap ones will the power per channel be affected.

In any event I want a SS receiver that will redirect power from unused channels while in a surround sound mode. The only ones I've seen are big $$$ or multiple components, and that's not where I want to be.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 11-10-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The reason the older receivers showed a higher per-channel output in 2 channel mode was the power supply. The early power supplies couldn't handle the power needs of multi channel amps, but eventually they caught up. Also, in the early days of surround sound, the center and rear channels were not full range, so they didn't require as much power. 5.1 and the new surround sound formats need equal power in all channels to perform correctly. Every newer receiver I know of will switch to 2 channel audio but only in the cheap ones will the power per channel be affected.

In any event I want a SS receiver that will redirect power from unused channels while in a surround sound mode. The only ones I've seen are big $$$ or multiple components, and that's not where I want to be.
Yeah, I was going to say that true bridgable channels will only be found in high dollar equipment. I think any "cheap" receiver that has a built in amp will not be able to do this. I think you'll have to go to outboard seperate standalone amps and use a pre-amp to get the results you want.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, I was going to say that true bridgable channels will only be found in high dollar equipment. I think any "cheap" receiver that has a built in amp will not be able to do this. I think you'll have to go to outboard seperate standalone amps and use a pre-amp to get the results you want.
That's where I was 5 years ago, then started to downsize. I'd gotten down to just a Cambridge Audio receiver, mostly for the sound quality while listening to music. But it's beyond reasonable repair.

I think I'll just need to find a surround receiver with decent power, and go that route.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
I don't know if it does what you're needing. But I have the Denon 1912 in my home theatre room. And I love it. It has an app for the iphone where I can stream songs to it. I can also use the multi room function and play music in one room and watch a movie in the other all by the iphone. As for the receiver itself. It can stream pretty much anything off the net from Pandora to Internet Radio.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-34647681.html

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I'm not aware of any modern A/V receiver that can bridge any channels. Spend $2000 and you won't find that. These receivers are already very powerful (> 100 watts for 7 channels) so they will not need bridging. A lower cost receiver will likely be bought by someone less sophisticated and bridging requires a non-standard speaker connection. The manufacturer will not want to deal with that.

The OP really should just go with a surround sound preamp/processor. Then you choose the power amp(s) you need or want. I am a big fan of separates because of the maximum flexibility you have.

The selection is not huge, but you can look at Rotel, NAD, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Parasound, and of course the higher end brands like Anthem and others.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,564 times
It has an app for the iphone where I can stream songs to it. I can also use the multi room function and play music in one room and watch a movie in the other all by the iphone.http://www.uklv.info/g.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts