Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

I notice this more and more. It's natural to not see your turn ahead. If I see my turn at the last second, I'll just continue on until I find a safe place to turn around. More and more I'm seeing people slamming on the brakes to avoid missing their turn. This is very dangerous. The most recent example nearly caused a chain reaction multicar pile-up. Two lane road with a center turning lane. This person slammed on the brakes in the south bound lane to make his/her left turn across the center turn lane and north bound lane. We also had to slam on our brakes to avoid hitting this vehicle. Thankfully we had been maintaining a safe distance for the speed and didn't hit any vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,379,741 times
When I get on my brakes, the first thing I do is look in the mirror.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 PM

30,626 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When I get on my brakes, the first thing I do is look in the mirror.
Same here. But I do see a lot of what the OP describes here where I am; it is infuriating and quite dangerous. Another annoying thing I see are drivers moving into my lane before making a right turn as if they can't make the turn any other way I really don't know how some people get their license.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
nothing new here, people have been doing stupid things like this while driving for decades. i have actually seen people stop in the middle of an interstate, and back up to get to their off ramp. i have seen people dive across three lanes of traffic to get to the off ramp. i have even seen people stop at the top of freeway on ramps.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,336,034 times
One of my golden rules of driving is that, when making a turn, motorists behind me should never see my brake lights before they see my turn signal.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Then you have the morons who will back up on the interstate after they've missed their exit. Or stop on a high speed expressway so as not to run over some ducks.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:26 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
nothing new here, people have been doing stupid things like this while driving for decades. i have actually seen people stop in the middle of an interstate, and back up to get to their off ramp. i have seen people dive across three lanes of traffic to get to the off ramp. i have even seen people stop at the top of freeway on ramps.
This happened when they opened the HOT lanes on I-495 here. People wound up in the lanes, stopped, and tried to back up past the divider to get back onto the main lanes. Caused a massive accident on the first day. I absolutely think if you stop on an interstate for any reason other than traffic in front of you or a breakdown, you should automatically lose your license. Too many times I've seen an idiot backing down a ramp because they took the wrong exit - had it happen to me once. Young lady wound up on the ramp to the HOT lanes on I-95. Stopped in front of me and tried to back up, with traffic stopped up behind me. I didn't move and she couldn't make it around me and the cars behind me. She was quite upset a having to pay a dollar to get off at the next exit (and whatever the fine was for not having an EZ-Pass, I think it's like 12 bucks the first time around?)

Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Then you have the morons who will back up on the interstate after they've missed their exit. Or stop on a high speed expressway so as not to run over some ducks.
It's either back up or fly across three lanes of traffic to make the exit, hoping that everyone else manages to get out of the way. You know, even though the next exit is 1.5 miles away.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,543 times
This post won't be popular here, but this is why we're all taught to allow ample following distance between us and the car in front of us. You never know how bad or deranged of a driver the person in front of you is. They may slam their brakes to make a turn or to save some ducks and if you want to be a good driver, you'll have left ample space to react and slam and your brakes too.

If we're tailgaiting and the sudden braking is a problem, we're every bit as irresponsible of a driver as the person hitting the brakes. And who knows? Maybe they hit their brakes for something reasonable like a child or a chassis-shattering pot hole - but I agree, 4 times outs of 5 it's because someone forgot their turn/exit/etc.

A bit of responsible, attentive driving with use of your turn signal prevents these issues 80% of the time. Adequate following distance prevents the issues the other 20%. - Yes, I totally just made these numbers up, but they sound reasonable.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
The worst I saw was a moron who was in the far right but saw there was left exit to where he wanted to go. The problem, they were already right about where the exit begins, just three lanes over. What did they do? They came to a stop, changed one lane, and stopped again, then changed one more lane, then stopped again, then took the exit. This was at night in fairly busy traffic. The worst part was that there was a right exit going to the same road just a little ways up (1000 feet). That was the original exit before they installed the left exit, so there are two exits to the same road, in the same direction. Yes, there was a sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive