Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Any reason to go with Bolt over Volt?

BTW my SIL put $2k down on a Tesla 3 about two years ago (give or take). Last I talked to her, they told her they are still unable to give her an estimated delivery date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
What's the Federal Tax Rebate for the Bolt EV?

Looks lithe the "Premier" model is about $2K over MSRP.
$7500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That doesn't fit very well with the 250,000 in your report, but I don't know where the problem is.
Model 3 isn't released yet, there are 400,000 pre-orders. Those sales are Model S and X.
And Rome wasn't built in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

BTW my SIL put $2k down on a Tesla 3 about two years ago (give or take). Last I talked to her, they told her they are still unable to give her an estimated delivery date.
Volts use "some" gas, not much. That might matter if your a purist. Wouldn't matter to me.
Can you get an HOV sticker on a Volt? IDK...
Form factor of a Bolt is CUV. It's a lot roomier than a Volt.

SIL could consider leasing a Bolt and then getting a Model 3. Given Tesla's penchant for delays that might work out well.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
In a country that sells 7 to 8 million cars a year (Ford sells 2.6 million) 250,000 is just going to keep the doors open at Tesla.

And I have to point out a discrepancy in the figures.
Here's a report that declares Tesla sold 80 to 90 thousand cars in 2016.
Tesla projects total 2016 sales of 80,000 to 90,000 electric cars
That doesn't fit very well with the 250,000 in your report, but I don't know where the problem is.
I remain convinced that Musk is a huckster who has figured out a way to get stinking rich off the taxpayers. Not to say he doesn't have a car - he does! - but he doesn't have one that can be manufactured and sold in a fair market.
You need to add about 10 million to your figure to get to the total US auto market. You also can't really compare Ford to Tesla on a volume basis. Automakers like Subaru sell much less than Ford and do great financially. Size and profitability are not always related.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:

It really depends on what your needs are. Take me for example. I have a family of four and I commute about 40 miles per day to work. A Bolt would perfectly suit my commuting needs and I would never have to buy gas. For family trips we have a second vehicle. I don't think anyone would ever expect either vehicle to serve as the only car in a larger household.

Now if I were single, or even if I were married and we were a one car household I would probably go with the Volt so that it could handle longer trips.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 AM

January sales:

Bolt 1162
Volt 1611

And Bolt's just ramping up, only sold in two states.
I think the Bolt going to blow past the Volt in sales pretty soon. It seems like everyone wants a CUV.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Yeah, the Bolt's form factor is all the rage as a small CUV. The Volt is still a bit impractical in the rear seat area, though it's much more suited to be an only car for a lot of people, since most people realistically don't go over it's 45-55 mile electric range in daily use, and only need the longer range once a month, if that. For me, even the Spark EV's 85 mile range would be enough for it to be the daily driver in the household with the larger gas powered rig for longer trips and towing/home improvement duty. But I'm waiting to see the Bolt in person, as it might be perfect for all around use.

The sales of the Bolt will be interesting as GM is not giving it special lease rates like it did/does for the Volt. It's a pricier car, even with the tax credits, so it's sales will be slower. But it delivers a lot of usability. Real world range is proving out to be in the 250+ mile amounts, and that's with normal driving. At that rate, I could charge the car once a week and still be a perfect commuter/errand runner.

Oh, and they are here in MD and Virginia already.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:19 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
You need to add about 10 million to your figure to get to the total US auto market. You also can't really compare Ford to Tesla on a volume basis. Automakers like Subaru sell much less than Ford and do great financially. Size and profitability are not always related.
Oh, right. I got in the wrong column. About 15 million a year is right.

On the issue of profitability, though, Tesla is pretty bad.
Sales 2015..... 4,020 million (about 5 billion in 2016)
Gross profit... 933 million
Loss...............888 million

In order to have a real discussion about finances, we would need to go to a different forum, so I won't drill down any deeper.
Tesla will some day be extinct, though. They are just not getting the job done. And I don't think they ever will. The pay off for buying an electric car is just not there. Takes about 14 years according to the article previously cited.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, right. I got in the wrong column. About 15 million a year is right.

On the issue of profitability, though, Tesla is pretty bad.
Sales 2015..... 4,020 million (about 5 billion in 2016)
Gross profit... 933 million
Loss...............888 million

In order to have a real discussion about finances, we would need to go to a different forum, so I won't drill down any deeper.
Tesla will some day be extinct, though. They are just not getting the job done. And I don't think they ever will. The pay off for buying an electric car is just not there. Takes about 14 years according to the article previously cited.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply Tesla was profitable, just that size and profitability don't necessarily correlate.

I actually forecast car sales for a living. Once you get into the financial side I develop a blank stare.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I was considering a used volt as a replacement for my wife's van now we rarely need so much space. She only drives about 7 miles to work. However sometimes she needs to go as much as 180 miles one way (to visit our son) on her days off. Not sure how she would do that in a Bolt.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I was considering a used volt as a replacement for my wife's van now we rarely need so much space. She only drives about 7 miles to work. However sometimes she needs to go as much as 180 miles one way (to visit our son) on her days off. Not sure how she would do that in a Bolt.
Used Volt.
She'll only use gas on the trips, all electric the rest of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive