Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 01:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Lots of different opinions in this thread...I love it! I get the "frugality" of a lot of people, and yes, I understand a car is a depreciating asset, but don't try to mask your hidden pleasures/wants/desires to try and sound macho or insensitive to what others "think" of you.
I have one question for all of you:
Say if you were the LAST PERSON ON EARTH...like Will Smith in the movie I Am Legend minus the zombie threat. You came out of your home one day and had a fleet of 20 cars at your disposal ranging from a Old Model Honda Civic to a $2 Million Bugatti....which one would you hop into first to take a spin up the countryside?
I'd probably approach the question with the considerations of the lunar rover. That is, don't drive so far that you are hurting if the thing breaks down.

Same thing here. I'd pick one that gave me the best operationality for the situation, be it multiple fuel sources, get me home engine design, loaded with tires, something with a snorkel, whatever.

I'd have to approach the situation like what they said in "The Beast": "Out of fuel, become a pill box. Out of ammo, become a bunker.".........I think we can skip the third part of that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'd probably approach the question with the considerations of the lunar rover. That is, don't drive so far that you are hurting if the thing breaks down.

Same thing here. I'd pick one that gave me the best operationality for the situation, be it multiple fuel sources, get me home engine design, loaded with tires, something with a snorkel, whatever.

I'd have to approach the situation like what they said in "The Beast": "Out of fuel, become a pill box. Out of ammo, become a bunker.".........I think we can skip the third part of that, though.
No...the scene is already set....there is no threat to your existence. You don't necessarily "need" an all-terrain vehicle even though one may be a part of your fleet. This is a simple pleasurable drive through the country-side.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:03 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Here in Los Angeles it's very common for all the real estate agents to lease luxury cars so their potential clients will think they sell a lot of homes. Not sure if it works, but they all seem to do it. As for me, my main requirement is reliability. In my job, a car has to start every day without fail. I always liked Accords for that reason and also had a CRV (great car). As I made more money I went for more comfort and moved to Lexus SUVs. When the kid grew up, I didn't need the SUV and got an LS 460. I'll probably never drive anything else, this car drives like you're on a cloud. As much time as I spend on the road, I appreciate the comfort & safety of a big car and I was able to pay cash. It's not to impress anybody, I'm just the appraiser and nobody cares what I drive.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
No...the scene is already set....there is no threat to your existence. You don't necessarily "need" an all-terrain vehicle even though one may be a part of your fleet. This is a simple pleasurable drive through the country-side.
Except you are setting the scene for the type of person I am not. With over 50 years of life and a lot of missed attempts which many might be due to Divine Intervention, I am not the kind of risk taker to, oh how did Kryten put it, "Are you the kind who prefers to live in happy and blissful ignorance of the nightmare you are facing?".

You say there are no zombies, but I don't know that. I'm not going to go driving around where there might be something blocking the road over the next hill, a bridge may be out, or some other thing to make this a real short trip. I've seen The Omega Man, I've been briefed on the Port Isabel Causeway collapse, I've read The Stand.

If there is no one around to help me, I'm not going to throw caution to the wind.

Now if you say it is Fantasy Island, I can play to my heart's content, and if I get in trouble, they will be there to help me, that's different.

So say it is Fantasy Island. I'd opt for a Subaru wagon. I was about to say a Lotus but I had to step back because I don't have the kind of expertise it takes to handle a car like that.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:17 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
My sister was going to trade in her suv she bought new, kept dealer serviced, drove it 120,000 miles. I was like, I will give you cash for it. I intend to put another 120,000 on it, and then sell it with 240k on the clock. I dont have any doubts the car will make it.

Not having car payments frees up cash to do other things with. I don't want to struggle every month just for the sake of having a new car.

I must admit, I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler
But they are so expensive. I bought a used 6 speed Unlimited Sahara with navigation from a dealer for 17k. This is the most expensive vehicle I ever had. I intend to keep it forever. It looks brand new. I feel like a baller when I drive it.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:28 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Who is shallow enough to judge a person because of the car they drive?

Old 09-17-2016, 06:58 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Lots of different opinions in this thread...I love it! I get the "frugality" of a lot of people, and yes, I understand a car is a depreciating asset, but don't try to mask your hidden pleasures/wants/desires to try and sound macho or insensitive to what others "think" of you.
Say if you were the LAST PERSON ON EARTH...like Will Smith in the movie I Am Legend minus the zombie threat. You came out of your home one day and had a fleet of 20 cars at your disposal ranging from a Old Model Honda Civic to a $2 Million Bugatti....which one would you hop into first to take a spin up the countryside?
This:

Costs more than this:

The truck will allow me to do more things than any car.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:07 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
I think that my grey hair is a bigger part of my image.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:32 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I don't judge people by the car they drive but it definitely can enforce preconceived notions.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:33 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So appearances DO count to you, you just have a different line in the sand you use to judge. You WOULD judge someone differently if they were driving what you call a "piece of crap." And you'd probably not hire them because if they can't take care of THEIR stuff, how could you trust them to take care of yours?
First impressions matter.
i know guys who drive old trucks to work. But they get there on time every day. I know guys who have new trucks that are unreliable. If you judged me by the vehicle I drove you would be far off the mark. Yes it's a 16 year old truck that literally looks brand new. But by the physical shape it's a old truck. And I can get more for it today than you can for the same year S550.

Quote:
The Honda. Because you wanna get back home. You get a flat in the Bughatti you're walking and the chances of getting it back on the road is pretty much zero. You get a flat in the Honda there is another one on the side of the road you can get the tire from. And spare parts. Either way some people are inpressed by others who come in flashing cash/clothes/cars. Not everyone is impressed by that. Not everyone cares about the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive