Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times

Advertisements

I had it on my previous car, but not my current. I definitely miss it. I found it very useful, but 90% of my driving is in a huge metro area with tons of traffic. If I lived more in the county with a lot less traffic, I probably would not find it as useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 02:34 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I have it on my car. Quite frankly, I wouldn't buy a car that doesn't have it. It's just a matter of time before it will be mandated on all new cars. Usually it's paired with rear cross traffic alert, since they use the same radar. Rear cross traffic alert is really helpful when backing out of a parking spot and you have a truck or van parked next to you. It's definitely a safety feature worth having. And I say that as a person who has two years experience using it.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have it on my car. Quite frankly, I wouldn't buy a car that doesn't have it. It's just a matter of time before it will be mandated on all new cars. Usually it's paired with rear cross traffic alert, since they use the same radar. Rear cross traffic alert is really helpful when backing out of a parking spot and you have a truck or van parked next to you. It's definitely a safety feature worth having. And I say that as a person who has two years experience using it.
Yes, it does come with rear cross traffic alert. I wasn't even thinking about how useful that would be for backing out.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:44 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
I had blind spot alerts in my SHO and while it was cool I found that if a car was close enough to alert it I could actually see it in my peripheral vision. I never found it actually helped.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
During my talks with dealers, one offered me a package that had, among other things, blind spot radar. Apparently when you turn a blinker on, if there is something in the blind spot, the mirror flashes and there is an audible alarm.

Any opinions on this? Is this really worthwhile? Just trying to understand the selling point.
I have this in my car, however it's called Chiluvr's radar. I quickly turn my head to make sure nobody is in my blind spot. I've learned never to rely on my mirrors.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:17 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
I *solved* blind spot* as follows.
Buy a replacement mirror for both your side view mirrors from a shop who does glass and mirrors.

Now have them cut them (straight up and down) in *about the middle* as shown on pic.
Then have them grind the cut edge so that when added together there is a minimum of gap, when mounted as shown with the slight raised part.
Mine are 40-60, slightly to the left, about 1/2 inch or more, for left mirror.
I started out with 25-75, and was not happy.
The other way for right side mirror.
Then glue the mirrors back to the original mirror but with a slight raised mounting surface right under the cut part.

It is similar to having that small add-on convex mirror, but the *view* is normal, not reduced like the right hand mirror.

Seems to work for me ...
I have no blind spots !
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have blind spot radar?-newcarmirror.jpg   Anyone have blind spot radar?-mirrorgap.jpg  

Old 09-17-2016, 01:07 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
I have it and like it. Mine is silent, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I have it, kind of like it. I found it easy to get used to using on the left but pretty much never use it on the right. No substitute for checking over the shoulder however.
You should still turn your head! The blind spot check is just an extra layer of defense, nice to have when someone changes lanes into your blind spot, is driving with their lights off at night, or whatever dumb stuff people like to do.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:33 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I spent a couple of bucks on those stick on convex mirrors. Along with glancing over my shoulder, blind spots are eliminated.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:23 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Does anyone find all these new 'features' that beep and buzz, etc. annoying and distracting at all?

I have managed to drive for 50 years and never needed them - and my dog doesn't like sudden noises which worries me since he takes very long trips with me. It seems all the darned appliances in my house already beep enough - I don't need that on the road too.

Unfortunately these days when I look at new model vehicles they all seem to have them if I want leather seats - and that is the ONLY thing I want - the leather seats. I don't want anything that distracts me or upsets the dog so it annoys me to have to pay for them initially just to get what I do want (and I am sure they will not be cheap to fix either down the line), especially if they cannot all be turned off completely so I never have to know they are there. I will be in the market for a new vehicle myself soon .. and I always buy 'new' (or I have in the past) but for the first time I am thinking I have to buy used to get a 'no beep' vehicle.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:55 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Does anyone find all these new 'features' that beep and buzz, etc. annoying and distracting at all?

I have managed to drive for 50 years and never needed them - and my dog doesn't like sudden noises which worries me since he takes very long trips with me. It seems all the darned appliances in my house already beep enough - I don't need that on the road too.

Unfortunately these days when I look at new model vehicles they all seem to have them if I want leather seats - and that is the ONLY thing I want - the leather seats. I don't want anything that distracts me or upsets the dog so it annoys me to have to pay for them initially just to get what I do want (and I am sure they will not be cheap to fix either down the line), especially if they cannot all be turned off completely so I never have to know they are there. I will be in the market for a new vehicle myself soon .. and I always buy 'new' (or I have in the past) but for the first time I am thinking I have to buy used to get a 'no beep' vehicle.
People drove for years without airbags or seat belts. Doesn't mean we should take those out of cars. "New" does not equal "bad."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive