Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I have seen plenty of the reflective tape dividers that didn't work at all.
Me too. I was driving from Ohio to Florida and on I-95 South in Georgia some of the lane markings were hard to see. Which is why I made this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 12:57 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
I don't know if Virginia changed the type or the formula of the paint they use but I've noticed in recent years that the lane markings are difficult to see when the roads are wet even during the day and especially at night. They are almost non-reflective at all. Even roads that are freshly painted.

Not the OP, but I'll bite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
a) Why aren't you using your headlights?
I do use my headlights. Mostly low beam since I do a lot of city driving.

Quote:
b) You shouldn't be driving the lines, but driving the road
When the road is 3 or 4 lanes wide plus turn, exit, and merge lanes those lane markings are super helpful.

Quote:
c) What's wrong with the current paint/glass bead reflectivity?
Lane markings are nearly impossible to see in wet conditions, at least on Virginia's roads.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:03 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
The lane markings get harder to see when concrete pavement is used (many parts of VA use concrete pavement). Many places are now using black paint along with the striping to make them more noticeable.

Southern states have a hard time with the sun bleaching out the pavement markings rather quickly.

The current paint/beads does well as long as they are regularly maintained. Unfortunately, with the recession, many cities, counties and states are still trying to play catch up on maintenance. Striping is probably being held off because plans are now in the works for pavement maintenance (milling or replacement).

We CAN do better. And we should - it's all about safety.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
It's more cost effective to repaint when needed and add highly reflective pigment or reflectors

Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
The lane markings get harder to see when concrete pavement is used (many parts of VA use concrete pavement). Many places are now using black paint along with the striping to make them more noticeable.

Southern states have a hard time with the sun bleaching out the pavement markings rather quickly.

The current paint/beads does well as long as they are regularly maintained. Unfortunately, with the recession, many cities, counties and states are still trying to play catch up on maintenance. Striping is probably being held off because plans are now in the works for pavement maintenance (milling or replacement).

We CAN do better. And we should - it's all about safety.
I agree.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Can we also just heat the highways to while we're at it? Imagine all the salt we could save...

Old 10-19-2016, 01:15 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Can we also just heat the highways to while we're at it? Imagine all the salt we could save...

LOL...I remember reading a story once about a place that ran sanitary sewer lines (I believe they were force mains) under roadways and somehow used the ambient heat from those to help melt snow. It was interesting, but I'm not completely sold on it's effectiveness.

Edit: check this out: http://www.oit.edu/docs/default-sour...4.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Not sure how viable an option this is for a majority of roadways, but still interesting!

Old 10-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
They probably could, I'm sure there is some technology out there to do it. We need to start doing things differently, we cant be doing the same thing since the 1960's.

New materials, new ideas, creativity etc

Old 10-19-2016, 01:47 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
LOL...I remember reading a story once about a place that ran sanitary sewer lines (I believe they were force mains) under roadways and somehow used the ambient heat from those to help melt snow. It was interesting, but I'm not completely sold on it's effectiveness.

Edit: check this out: http://www.oit.edu/docs/default-sour...4.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Not sure how viable an option this is for a majority of roadways, but still interesting!

That was a good read. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
The last time I saw lines being PAINTED was in a parking lot.

All the streets around here use white or yellows rolls of material. They roll it out and hit with a torch to bond it to the asphalt or concrete and it lasts for many years longer than paint does.

I believe the stuff they use is reflectorized, but as it ages and gets dirty that diminishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive