Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
One point about CB radios (any radio really) is that to get the best most useful performance from the radio after it's installed is that you must set the standing wave ratio or cut your talking/listening to almost no reach out at all.

Any good radio shop can do this ,and unless you change the antenna, it's done.
Agree on this one. And to add to it, the antenna used is the heart and soul of the radio. The antenna will make or break ANY CB radio.

However some people, particularly truck drivers, think that if you want to get out past 2 miles, you must run a linear amp. Which is not only illegal but not necessary for talking 2 miles reliably.

I personally have talked 8 miles using a quality 5 foot whip magnet mount antenna connected to a 4 watt radio. And another time I talked 10 miles and even (but barely) 14 miles with a 4 watt radio into a 102 whip antenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i'm traveling alone or with family i very seldom talk on the CB as thats all part of truckers world and 4 wheelers are not thought highly of, but as i usually drive at night on I-95 listening to the truckers banter is better than anything i get on regular radio however i hear so little on Ch-19 these days i'm wondering if its even worth installing the cb for the trip anymore.
Where i do talk up on the cb is when we go on club rides, the cb is great for keeping every one together and informed about whats upcoming..
Jambo101, I can only speak for myself, but I truly believe that there are a fair amount of us truckers that would welcome conversation with a car driver that's not in the industry. For me, it's a VERY nice change of pace to talk about something besides the usual "trucker trash". I've enjoyed some wonderful exchanges with RV-ers and car drivers on vacation. And, in any case, it's a great way to stay awake and make the miles just roll by for both participants in the conversation. I do hope you're not turned off by the idiots you hear on Channel 19, there's still a great bunch of drivers out there!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Agree on this one. And to add to it, the antenna used is the heart and soul of the radio. The antenna will make or break ANY CB radio.

However some people, particularly truck drivers, think that if you want to get out past 2 miles, you must run a linear amp. Which is not only illegal but not necessary for talking 2 miles reliably.

I personally have talked 8 miles using a quality 5 foot whip magnet mount antenna connected to a 4 watt radio. And another time I talked 10 miles and even (but barely) 14 miles with a 4 watt radio into a 102 whip antenna.
Deez Nuttz, I'm truly tired of the "Radio Rambos' with their linears, Roger Beeps and other nonsense they put on their radios. I just run my radio right out of the box, set my SWR according to the instruction manual and I'm good to go to talk to the vehicles nearby. That's all I really want from my CB...

Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Deez Nuttz, I'm truly tired of the "Radio Rambos' with their linears, Roger Beeps and other nonsense they put on their radios. I just run my radio right out of the box, set my SWR according to the instruction manual and I'm good to go to talk to the vehicles nearby. That's all I really want from my CB...
Sounds like you might be ready to try for a tech license in amateur radio. But I can understand your frustration. Just that I often frequent the truckers report and some of the truckers on there "think" they need to run power if they want to talk past 2-3 miles. Yet they blame the radio ramboism and such on a some kid on his home base. Might be but not always. I'm sure you know as well as i that a good antenna will allow even a stock 4 watt radio to talk a good distance. Heck if only everyone would go back to the 4 watt rule instead of seeing who has the bigger radio.

Really if the FCC would come back to monitor the airwaves, you'd have less and less people running power and mal adjusted radios, bleeding across 10 bands in either direction, roger beeps here and there, echo....now when skip rolls in from down south (as it has been here lately), I don't think there's much that can be done to those south of the border.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you might be ready to try for a tech license in amateur radio. But I can understand your frustration. Just that I often frequent the truckers report and some of the truckers on there "think" they need to run power if they want to talk past 2-3 miles. Yet they blame the radio ramboism and such on a some kid on his home base. Might be but not always. I'm sure you know as well as i that a good antenna will allow even a stock 4 watt radio to talk a good distance. Heck if only everyone would go back to the 4 watt rule instead of seeing who has the bigger radio.

Really if the FCC would come back to monitor the airwaves, you'd have less and less people running power and mal adjusted radios, bleeding across 10 bands in either direction, roger beeps here and there, echo....now when skip rolls in from down south (as it has been here lately), I don't think there's much that can be done to those south of the border.
Deez Nuttz, I'm not sure I'm really interested in moving any farther up the radio ladder than I am now. I see the C.B. as a mixed blesssing and occupy my time behind the wheel with AM/FM and talk radio (as long as I can stand it...) far more than I talk on the Cee Bee.

Yep, I'd like to see the FCC step in and stop the idiots. But we certainly couldn't get more funding past the Tea Partiers...

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
Quote:
Who's the Stryker guy? And what's he say?
He has a recording that advertises his radio shop and the "Stryker" antennas that he builds. He is on the air sometimes, but more often that not it is the recording...

Quote:
Lately there's been a lot of skip rolling from what I believe to be from down south. Almost every channel on the CB, as of now you can hear Hispanic operators and almost all of them have their roger beeps on. That includes the emergency channel, channel 9.
I have noticed this a lot lately as well.. across EVERY channel.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
This time of year we would always get the Oklahoma skip on our old business band radios. This is prime time for skip in the low band.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,902 times
The cb radios work very well

Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
This time of year we would always get the Oklahoma skip on our old business band radios. This is prime time for skip in the low band.

Yep, so i hear right now or soon, we will be at the peak of the skip cycle. Been making a few DX contacts in my spare time.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,902 times
How to use a cb radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive