Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is best (and why) in your opinion?
Ford F 250 6 22.22%
Ford F 350 12 44.44%
Chevy Suburban 3 11.11%
Toyota Tundra 0 0%
Chevy PU 1 3.70%
Other (please explain) 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:18 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
I'm looking at bumper pull travel trailers for solo fulltiming. I need to keep the cost @ $30K for the trailer and truck combo, so new or late model trucks are out.
Good luck with that!! Youre going to have to sacrifice one for the other. Maybe 25 for the truck, and 5 for the camper to get anything dependable enough to travel. But its doable, small camper, F150/1500 range truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 05:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I'm looking at bumper pull travel trailers for solo fulltiming. I need to keep the cost @ $30K for the trailer and truck combo, so new or late model trucks are out.
You first need to lower the size and weight of the trailer you buy, and have a lower amount to pull. You are indicating you can only buy an older truck. You are going to have a difficult time buying an older truck, that has not due to wear and age, still able to pull a large trailer like you are considering. Older trucks due to wear and tear over time, do not have the same ability to tow, and pull the size trailer you want. The upkeep out on the road is going to be high in nearly all cases. An older truck can be in good condition for general pick up duties. But when you start putting heavy strain on it, it can very soon not be in the physical condition to do the job.

Examples:

Shocks probably need replaced. Fine for normal local duties, but with a large trailer the shocks can blow out real fast due to long time wear and tear.

Engine and transmission, may be excellent for local general use. However when you suddenly are pulling a large trailer up hill and down, the strain on the transmission and engine, often exceed the ability they have to carry light loads around town, and give way to serious problems.

And these are just some of the problems, using an older truck to pull a large travel trailer. An older truck may be great, even with a small trailer, but when they are used to pull something like you propose to want they just did not hold up very long. Before you buy a pickup, have it checked by your mechanic for condition, and it's ability to do what you want a pickup for. A F-350 as an example, may now have the ability of a F-150 due to it's age, and the wear and tear on the parts.

A few years ago, I was managing partner of a 250+ space R.V. Park. I saw many times when a couple were staying at the R.V. Park, had an older pickup to pull a large travel trailer and the problems they were facing, or told me about problems they had on their trip.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:

You do not want to pull a travel trailer by the bumper. You need a Class III or IV receiver, which will be mounted to your frame.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:33 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You do not want to pull a travel trailer by the bumper. You need a Class III or IV receiver, which will be mounted to your frame.
He probably didn't literally mean with a bumper hitch, "bumper pull" is a common way to describe a RV that isn't a 5th wheel.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:54 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
If I was into RVing...the only tow vehicle I would consider is conversion like this guy builds:

RV Haulers | RV Haulers

With one these bad boys, you don't have to worry about the weight of the trailer, tongue weight, stopping it...none of that.

He has some good videos on YouTube.

And these rigs are comparably priced to a spiffed out pickup truck.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:28 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
He probably didn't literally mean with a bumper hitch, "bumper pull" is a common way to describe a RV that isn't a 5th wheel.
Exactly.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You first need to lower the size and weight of the trailer you buy, and have a lower amount to pull. You are indicating you can only buy an older truck. You are going to have a difficult time buying an older truck, that has not due to wear and age, still able to pull a large trailer like you are considering. Older trucks due to wear and tear over time, do not have the same ability to tow, and pull the size trailer you want. The upkeep out on the road is going to be high in nearly all cases. An older truck can be in good condition for general pick up duties. But when you start putting heavy strain on it, it can very soon not be in the physical condition to do the job.

Examples:

Shocks probably need replaced. Fine for normal local duties, but with a large trailer the shocks can blow out real fast due to long time wear and tear.

Engine and transmission, may be excellent for local general use. However when you suddenly are pulling a large trailer up hill and down, the strain on the transmission and engine, often exceed the ability they have to carry light loads around town, and give way to serious problems.

And these are just some of the problems, using an older truck to pull a large travel trailer. An older truck may be great, even with a small trailer, but when they are used to pull something like you propose to want they just did not hold up very long. Before you buy a pickup, have it checked by your mechanic for condition, and it's ability to do what you want a pickup for. A F-350 as an example, may now have the ability of a F-150 due to it's age, and the wear and tear on the parts.

A few years ago, I was managing partner of a 250+ space R.V. Park. I saw many times when a couple were staying at the R.V. Park, had an older pickup to pull a large travel trailer and the problems they were facing, or told me about problems they had on their trip.
Excellent points. I'm not planning on traveling much, or very far.

I'm considering purchasing a smallish brand new TT and having the dealer deliver it and set it up after I rent a space in a park that welcomes fulltimers. If/when I move to another park, maybe I can rent a truck for the move. How does that sound?

Old 10-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
If I was into RVing...the only tow vehicle I would consider is conversion like this guy builds:

RV Haulers | RV Haulers

With one these bad boys, you don't have to worry about the weight of the trailer, tongue weight, stopping it...none of that.

He has some good videos on YouTube.

And these rigs are comparably priced to a spiffed out pickup truck.
If I could swing it financially I'd buy a toterhome for sure. I can't.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
You might find a nice old F250 (or F350) like my former 2000 that I traded off 2 years ago. It was a nice pickup, had the 7.3 turbo diesel, very clean throughout, even at 150K. I got somewhere around $3.5K-$5K in trade for it, because a few different problems had cropped up in the weeks prior to the trade. Fixed up at a shop, it would have been worth $10K-$12K. But it would have cost $8K-$10K to fix up (turbo waste gate, 2 injectors, clutch).

I had just started driving it 30K per year about 3 years before trading it. Before that, I'd driven it 5-6K miles per year since new. It was a great, reliable truck for that. But once I started driving it a lot, repairs started costing $8-$10K per year. You probably won't be driving it that much, but keep in mind that repairs on these trucks, if you can't do it yourself, will be expensive, and they WILL NEED REPAIRS -- all kinds of little things that cost $1-$2K to fix at the garage.

With the 2000 F250/F350 PSD, the engine itself is very reliable, but the automatic transmissions were apparently weak. Mine was a 6-speed manual. The clutch went out without warning at about 125K miles. (Then the waste gate leaked on it a year later and damaged it.)

The 2001, iirc, had a better automatic transmission. I'd stay away from Ford's 6.0 diesel unless it's been upgraded, especially if it's been "chipped". I think they came out around 2004. Look into it more closely if you decide on a Ford.

You might also consider Ford's V-10 gas engine in the early 2000s. It's a gas hog but a strong, reliable engine... and a fair bit cheaper than a Power Stroke Diesel.

Look for clean, low-milage (under 100K) trucks. They're not easy to find, but there are a few out there.

I'd second the recommendation for a 5th-wheel camper. They pull nice, usually have more storage space, and good, 4-season campers are more common as 5ers. It's what most full-timers use; it's certainly what I'd use if/when we go full-time camping.

But I understand why you don't need something big if camping alone. I'd be tempted to get a big pickup camper if it was just me. I've owned a couple and loved them, but never full-time. And that's another reason why you might want a bigger pickup (F350 dually), as that's what you'd need for a large pickup camper. Bigger pickups give you more options should you want to change campers.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Excellent points. I'm not planning on traveling much, or very far.

I'm considering purchasing a smallish brand new TT and having the dealer deliver it and set it up after I rent a space in a park that welcomes fulltimers. If/when I move to another park, maybe I can rent a truck for the move. How does that sound?
Ahhhhh.... very important information.

Then you won't need a particularly reliable truck, should you decide to get one. That opens up your options quite a bit. In that case, about any decent 3/4-ton would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive