Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 11:17 AM

285 posts, read 263,009 times

Advertisements

So I'm just looking at cars, for fun honestly, and see one I wish I could get. A nice little 2008 Ford Taurus, as I'm not picky with cars and care little about the bells, whistles, and fancy mechanical buttons and stuff with these 2014 and up models. It has a financing option and I heard family screaming in my head to leave that button alone.

So now I'm genuinely curious. Exactly what good comes from financing a car if it's such a bad option and ends up costing you more? I also know that insurance must be full coverage, and I don't know if that's nationwide or just in MN, and that can't be cheap. So with insurance needs and the overall cost, it seems like you're losing more than you gain by financing a car. The only gain would be to maybe drive off with a damn good car you know you wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. But are there any other real pros to that option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
So I'm just looking at cars, for fun honestly, and see one I wish I could get. A nice little 2008 Ford Taurus, as I'm not picky with cars and care little about the bells, whistles, and fancy mechanical buttons and stuff with these 2014 and up models. It has a financing option and I heard family screaming in my head to leave that button alone.

So now I'm genuinely curious. Exactly what good comes from financing a car if it's such a bad option and ends up costing you more? I also know that insurance must be full coverage, and I don't know if that's nationwide or just in MN, and that can't be cheap. So with insurance needs and the overall cost, it seems like you're losing more than you gain by financing a car. The only gain would be to maybe drive off with a damn good car you know you wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. But are there any other real pros to that option?
There have been plenty of previous threads on this topic but to clarify are you saying you HAVE the cash to pay for it upfront and want to know what the advantage might be to getting a loan anyway? Or that you DON'T have the cash and want to know why you should buy that particular car even though you'd need a loan?

Also, do you have TWICE the cash to buy it? If not, going without full coverage is not a good idea even if you could, because after buying the first you'd be unable to replace it in the event of an accident or theft.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
There have been plenty of previous threads on this topic but to clarify are you saying you HAVE the cash to pay for it upfront and want to know what the advantage might be to getting a loan anyway? Or that you DON'T have the cash and want to know why you should buy that particular car even though you'd need a loan?

Also, do you have TWICE the cash to buy it? If not, going without full coverage is not a good idea even if you could, because after buying the first you'd be unable to replace it in the event of an accident or theft.
Don't assume, cause you're incredibly far off.

I'm not looking to buy, finance, get a loan, or even legit shop. I look at cars for fun. But I'm seriously curious on what the pros are in general.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 AM

21,921 posts, read 25,248,755 times
Just depends on interest rate. It's not as attractive for used cars. I'd pay cash in most cases. With new cars where you can borrow at 0-.9%, I'd rather borrow. I'd rather put my money in financial instruments and borrow at those interest rates.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Don't assume, cause you're incredibly far off.

I'm not looking to buy, finance, get a loan, or even legit shop. I look at cars for fun. But I'm seriously curious on what the pros are in general.
It depends on the situation. It is one thing to ask if someone should buy a car that they CAN'T pay cash for, it is another to ask if they should buy a car they DON'T pay cash for. Separate questions, separate answers.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It depends on the situation. It is one thing to ask if someone should buy a car that they CAN'T pay cash for, it is another to ask if they should buy a car they DON'T pay cash for. Separate questions, separate answers.
So would the pro basically be to get a car you can't pay cash with?....

I'm a little lost for real.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,811,699 times
Financing is for big ticket items that people need but cant afford to pay in cash. Thats all there is to it.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,419,714 times
There are no real pros to financing a car at all.It is not good to borrow money on depreciating assets.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 940,639 times
Quote:
So would the pro basically be to get a car you can't pay cash with?....
I'm a little lost for real.
Yes. For a buyer, there are no pros to financing a car. Not that I've ever heard of anyway. But there are huge pros to having reliable private transportation. It's just that having that is expensive. So people who can't afford the big all-at-once expense that comes with purchasing a car with cash resort to financing. That way they have the car and still have adequate money for their other expenses.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Yes. For a buyer, there are no pros to financing a car. Not that I've ever heard of anyway. But there are huge pros to having reliable private transportation. It's just that having that is expensive. So people who can't afford the big all-at-once expense that comes with purchasing a car with cash resort to financing. That way they have the car and still have adequate money for their other expenses.
This alone made far better sense then what I was trying to understand. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive