Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why pay $1000 when you could pay $0? It depends on what your savings earn and how much liquidity you have.
That $1000 is saved over time several years, not immediately.
If I had $100k cash, and a car cost $30K, I'd still finance. I'd rather have the entire $100k for spur of the moment investment opportunities, maxing out retirement accts, having cash for vacations, surprise insurance claims, etc.
Saving the $18 or so interest per month is not worth the missing out on the opportunities available by having a giant pile of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:53 PM

285 posts, read 262,637 times
Wow, so this is awesome. I literally knew NOTHING about what you all posted, so I read everything. Learned a lot. To answer ncole, I just wanted information in general. And to whoever posted about the 2008 Taurus, as I'm not going through and looking for you (not being rude, just lazy tbh), I wasn't saying I am actually looking at getting it. Just an example of what would satisfy me. I'm 19 and childless, don't gotta go too far for work either, so I don't need (or want) no fancy 2016 car. I honestly think that if you're under 21 and without kids, you really don't need the newest truck/car model. It's a waste of money and you're just trying to stunt, plain and simple. But that's my opinion.

Again, though, thanks for the info. Just had a wonderful learning moment here.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:10 PM

9,528 posts, read 4,353,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If you are offered 0% interest financing, and there is no additional discount or incentive available for a cash sale, then by all means, go with the interest-free financing. But understand, there is no such thing as an "interest-free" loan. IOW, the financing cost is factored into the price you are paying, somehow. Most of the new-car 0% financing deals are going to be in lieu of a cash rebate/additional discount applied to the vehicle sale price. I haven't run across any 0% deals for used cars.

Another element you need to factor in (which most sample formulas do not), is the money you would not be allocating to monthly payments, if you pay cash instead. If you invest that amount every month, instead of spending it on something else, does the financing deal still look better over the course of the loan?
I've actually gotten 0% car loans and an additional rebate because I used manufacturer financing. Trust me, I've purchased quite a few new cars and I do all of the math (including the point you raised in your second paragraph) and I almost always come out ahead by financing.

Finally, investing the money in monthly installments can't possibly come out ahead of having the entire amount remain in the investment from day one (unless the investment is producing negative returns, which is a different discussion).

Old 11-01-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Wow, so this is awesome. I literally knew NOTHING about what you all posted, so I read everything. Learned a lot. To answer ncole, I just wanted information in general. And to whoever posted about the 2008 Taurus, as I'm not going through and looking for you (not being rude, just lazy tbh), I wasn't saying I am actually looking at getting it. Just an example of what would satisfy me. I'm 19 and childless, don't gotta go too far for work either, so I don't need (or want) no fancy 2016 car. I honestly think that if you're under 21 and without kids, you really don't need the newest truck/car model. It's a waste of money and you're just trying to stunt, plain and simple. But that's my opinion.

Again, though, thanks for the info. Just had a wonderful learning moment here.
Funny but I see it backwards. If you're young and childless, that's when you should buy your dream car. By the time you're married with kids, your car choices will get much more limited. You'll be relegated to 3 Row SUVs and minivans. Don't waste your early 20s on an old Taurus.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:17 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Funny but I see it backwards. If you're young and childless, that's when you should buy your dream car. By the time you're married with kids, your car choices will get much more limited. You'll be relegated to 3 Row SUVs and minivans. Don't waste your early 20s on an old Taurus.
With the costs of vehicles now.. that old Taurus is about all that someone in their early 20's can afford.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
With the costs of vehicles now.. that old Taurus is about all that someone in their early 20's can afford.
And that's the other reason to finance...

Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,601,896 times
Quote:
That $1000 is saved over time several years, not immediately.
If I had $100k cash, and a car cost $30K, I'd still finance. I'd rather have the entire $100k for spur of the moment investment opportunities, maxing out retirement accts, having cash for vacations, surprise insurance claims, etc.
Saving the $18 or so interest per month is not worth the missing out on the opportunities available by having a giant pile of cash.
Then why don't you max out all the heloc's you can get, 0% credit cards, borrow against everything you can, and margin your investments to the hilt?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Then why don't you max out all the heloc's you can get, 0% credit cards, borrow against everything you can, and margin your investments to the hilt?
Depends on what the assets are. If it's a spur of the moment vacation, it doesn't make sense to sell money making investments to fund it.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:48 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,601,896 times
Quote:
Depends on what the assets are. If it's a spur of the moment vacation, it doesn't make sense to sell money making investments to fund it.
So why don't you apply the same logic to the car loan as the other kinds of debt - namely that it doesn't always make sense?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:58 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,335,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
So would the pro basically be to get a car you can't pay cash with?....

I'm a little lost for real.
Yes. I finance cars because my PERSONAL decision is that I'd rather have small payments, then take money out of savings or investments to pay cash. Yes, I know that I'm paying more for the car in the end because of interest, but often, I'm able to get a 0% interest loan, so that's not really a huge factor (still comes with fees though). If the interest rate is 16%, it's a pretty dumb financial decision, but if it's 1.7%, it's not so bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive