Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:58 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,249,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I knew a man many years ago who had never used credit to buy anything.
He got married late in life, and they wanted to get a new car. It his wife had to do the financing, because he didn't have good credit, he didn't have bad credit, he had NO credit rating at all! According to the credit reporting companies, he did not exist!
So, yes, establishing a good credit history by financing a vehicle CAN be a good thing!
In a case like that, though, where the borrower has no credit history, not much chance of getting a car loan without a co-signer; at least not at a reasonable interest rate. He would probably have to start out like a young adult just getting started in their career, opening small revolving charge accounts with merchants, paying on time, then apply for a major credit card, then apply for loans after becoming "established".

Much like the young person just starting out, who needs the backing of their parents, I think this man would need to do the same with his new wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,942 times
If you can get 0% interest, why not financing? Usually if your credit score is above 730, the dealer will offer you 0% as they advertise.

Then you can save that lump sum, and deposit in some low-risk investment that at least yields 2-3%. In the mean time, you build up your credit history (credit history is based on various kinds of loans which you pay back punctually).

And of course, if you buy new car, you opt for full insurance coverage. Do you mean you can afford a new car but skip comprehensive and collision?

Old 10-31-2016, 02:44 PM

57 posts, read 70,349 times
this is easy..NONE, no pros to financing anything.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
If you are going to get full coverage anyways the low interest rate may well be lower than what you can make on investments. If you do not want full coverage, and have cash, pay cash.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:46 PM

9,533 posts, read 4,362,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewheart View Post
this is easy..NONE, no pros to financing anything.
Please explain. Why would you not finance when you can borrow money for free or the interest rate on the loan is lower than the interest you're earning on the money? Unless you keep your cash in your mattress, have poor investment skills, or bad credit, financing almost always makes more sense than paying cash. The math on this is so fundamental, I'm amazed that people still cling to the "never finance anything" mantra.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:00 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I doubt an engine rebuild will cost more than a grand or possibly two on most cars. What was wrong with paying cash for my slightly-used car and still having $30k liquid? What personal loan?
A head gasket might cost a grand or possibly two on most vehicles.

A complete rebuild on a modern engine? Three to four thousand on a good day.

Just the rebuild kit for my piddly little 2.8 4 cylinder is $400.. And that doesn't include the timing chain or oil pump.. Both of which you'd replace when rebuilding the engine.

Folks doing rebuilds can speak more to specifics.. but.. You're way off on your numbers. I might still be way low at $3-4k.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:25 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,249,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Please explain. Why would you not finance when you can borrow money for free or the interest rate on the loan is lower than the interest you're earning on the money? Unless you keep your cash in your mattress, have poor investment skills, or bad credit, financing almost always makes more sense than paying cash. The math on this is so fundamental, I'm amazed that people still cling to the "never finance anything" mantra.
If you are offered 0% interest financing, and there is no additional discount or incentive available for a cash sale, then by all means, go with the interest-free financing. But understand, there is no such thing as an "interest-free" loan. IOW, the financing cost is factored into the price you are paying, somehow. Most of the new-car 0% financing deals are going to be in lieu of a cash rebate/additional discount applied to the vehicle sale price. I haven't run across any 0% deals for used cars.

Another element you need to factor in (which most sample formulas do not), is the money you would not be allocating to monthly payments, if you pay cash instead. If you invest that amount every month, instead of spending it on something else, does the financing deal still look better over the course of the loan?

Old 10-31-2016, 05:32 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
There are no real pros to financing a car at all.It is not good to borrow money on depreciating assets.
A car is not considered an asset. Also most people buy cars for necessity and don't look at it as a purely financial investment.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I haven't run across any 0% deals for used cars.
I got one once. Got one of those checks the credit card companies send out that had no fees whatsoever.
Usually there's a 2% or more fee (depends on how long you get 0%), but this one had zero, zip, nada.
Only a fool would not take that money. I bought a used Chevy Tahoe with it.
Used their free money (except for making small payments), for a year, then paid it off.

Otherwise I can get sub-2% on a used car anytime as long as it's not too old.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,290,934 times
I've bought new cars and trucks with cash 6 times and financed 6 cars, two that were leased. Ive financed from 50-100%. IMO, paying cash was not as beneficial as you would think. Sure I had a new car and no monthly payments, but when manufacturers offer 0% financing up to 3% it's almost stupid to not finance the car and invest the money instead.of course this isn't the case if you don't have great credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive