Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 02:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a lot of new cars no longer have the sharp cutoff on their HID headlights, so you get dazzled by oncoming cars. It's also bright enough to damage your retinas if you stare at them, which you sometimes have to do in order to gauge distance etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 04:22 PM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
If they're just aesthetic I'm sure you could have them disconnected.

As far as driving lights you could swap out to a more warm light. Even at the same lumens (amount of light) I find that warmer/yellow light easier on the eyes at night than bright white or blue.
Oh cool!!! I have to tell that to hubby!!!
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:30 PM

Mine is inspected with the lights and they pass no probs.

They are lovely to drive at night for visibility and I do have an auto dim rear mirror. But unfortunately they seem to bother others maybe without the dimming mirrors.

Dunno. But maybe reaiming the lights can help?? Is there a way to maybe re aim it lower???

But that warm light is a better color for not hurting the eyes I agree.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I've noticed a lot of new cars no longer have the sharp cutoff on their HID headlights, so you get dazzled by oncoming cars. It's also bright enough to damage your retinas if you stare at them, which you sometimes have to do in order to gauge distance etc.
What is a sharp cutoff can I ask???

And you are right because I am not the only ones on the road with these brighter lights...
That's why I said most all lux cars nowadays seem to all have the same bright lites. And where I drive, (also country side) most other cars have these bright lights.
So it didn't bother me till a gent actually stop his car (first time ever) thinking we got high beams on. He drove off after we show him it's low beam.

Hence the question.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:17 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
Mine is inspected with the lights and they pass no probs.

They are lovely to drive at night for visibility and I do have an auto dim rear mirror. But unfortunately they seem to bother others maybe without the dimming mirrors.

Dunno. But maybe reaiming the lights can help?? Is there a way to maybe re aim it lower???

But that warm light is a better color for not hurting the eyes I agree.
Yes, headlight aiming can be adjusted. It used to be that inspection stations had a white board with vertical and horizontal rulers that were used to check headlight aim and adjust it if necessary. But, though the law requires specific aiming, it has been a lot of years since I have seen an inspection station with one of these boards. I asked about it not long ago, when I was getting a vehicle inspected, the mechanic's response was "Nah, I don't bother with that."

Quote:
What is a sharp cutoff can I ask???

And you are right because I am not the only ones on the road with these brighter lights...
That's why I said most all lux cars nowadays seem to all have the same bright lites. And where I drive, (also country side) most other cars have these bright lights.
So it didn't bother me till a gent actually stop his car (first time ever) thinking we got high beams on. He drove off after we show him it's low beam.

Hence the question.
The 'sharp cut-off' is an obvious light/dark delineation of the beam, where it is super bright at a low level but the height of the illumination is severely limited.

The lights I recently installed in my wife's Jeep have this feature on the high beam. It is unmistakeable. It took a little while to get used to it.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:00 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Two solutions I'd love. Have a rack of rear facing off road lights. Someone behind with excessive brights, light em up. Just before you drop a bucket of tire flattening jacks in the road behind you. Bye bye.

Same in front, have like a 500 billion cdl power light bar, and hit that when someone has their brights on.

Might also want to bulletproof your car too...

Old 11-10-2016, 02:35 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
We have a BMW that came with custom LEDs.

And when out one night in town, a guy in front actually stop and would not move because he thought we had our high beams on. Till my hubby flashes him that it's just driving lights.

My question is..
Did anyone with these LEDs ever gets pulled over by cops thinking they are high beams???

We sure seem to have quite a few people thinking they are actually high beams.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:54 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
And when out one night in town, a guy in front actually stop and would not move because he thought we had our high beams on. Till my hubby flashes him that it's just driving lights.
The requirement for driving lights/fog lights, is that the beam must be adjusted such that the center of the beam focus point is two inches lower than the actual mounted height of the light itself on the vehicle at a distance of 25 feet while the vehicle is parked on a level surface.

What this means, is that if your 'driving lights' are blinding people, they are absolutely improperly aimed.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The requirement for driving lights/fog lights, is that the beam must be adjusted such that the center of the beam focus point is two inches lower than the actual mounted height of the light itself on the vehicle at a distance of 25 feet while the vehicle is parked on a level surface.

What this means, is that if your 'driving lights' are blinding people, they are absolutely improperly aimed.
Thanks!! Great answer.
What my hubby suspect too.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Two solutions I'd love. Have a rack of rear facing off road lights. Someone behind with excessive brights, light em up. Just before you drop a bucket of tire flattening jacks in the road behind you. Bye bye.

Same in front, have like a 500 billion cdl power light bar, and hit that when someone has their brights on.

Might also want to bulletproof your car too...
Won't need to bullet proof my car.
As long as other cars on the road is not bullet proof too.

Safe civilized area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive