Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times

Advertisements

Generally, most internet info regarding claims is wrong. Are there any claims questions you have? If so, belly up to the bar and ask the old claims guy. I've got over 14,000 claims under my belt and would be happy to dispell the myths you may have heard. We can have some fun and kick it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 992,906 times
Personally, I think you have FAR too much time on your hands.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM

288 posts, read 1,555,304 times
Just the person I was looking for. I recently had such a poor excuse of an adjuster that I may shop with another company here in a few weeks.

My questions:

I will be 25 this December. Is this the age that premiums drastically reduce? (I will also have my 4 points gone by this time.)

Will a claim called in and cancelled by me affect my premium? (I cancel them because my deductible is close to the repair.)

I may have a few more questions later, when I think of them.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Personally, I think you have FAR too much time on your hands.
And you don't? Huh, MR Executive.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_47_00 View Post
Just the person I was looking for. I recently had such a poor excuse of an adjuster that I may shop with another company here in a few weeks.

My questions:

I will be 25 this December. Is this the age that premiums drastically reduce? (I will also have my 4 points gone by this time.)

Will a claim called in and cancelled by me affect my premium? (I cancel them because my deductible is close to the repair.)

I may have a few more questions later, when I think of them.
It shouldn't. Although an insurance company can take into account frequency in the absence of payment, very few will hold it against you. The reason why is that some people seem to be a magnet for claims. And even if no payments are made, they are still worked by the claims staff. But for one nonpay, I'd have a hard time with a carrier using it to effect your rates. If they do, shop around for a different carrier.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Well I have a question:

Are claims adjusters independent agents or are they employees of the insurance companies?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Well I have a question:

Are claims adjusters independent agents or are they employees of the insurance companies?

Both.

All companies have a claims staff. Some companies utilize independent adjusters that work either alone or in a claims management company. Some of the larger companies use their own adjusters almost exclusively. I've worked both sides and there are advantages & disadvantages to both.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,869 times
I was recently in a serious car accident on 10/16. The accident caused me to go into early labor and I delivered a prematue baby. My Aunt died on 9/11 at the age of 85. She was a foriegn service officer and worked for the american embassy. She did not have any children of her own and I was more like a grandchild to her. I missed her burial at Arlington Cemetary on the 4th of Dec. What is fair compensation for missing such a important event in my families life?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
A lot of people think that all one has to do to bring an insurance company to their knees is to threaten to claim they were injured in the accident.

I think this is bunk....care to expound?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb7091shopper View Post
I was recently in a serious car accident on 10/16. The accident caused me to go into early labor and I delivered a prematue baby. My Aunt died on 9/11 at the age of 85. She was a foriegn service officer and worked for the american embassy. She did not have any children of her own and I was more like a grandchild to her. I missed her burial at Arlington Cemetary on the 4th of Dec. What is fair compensation for missing such a important event in my families life?

A few things come to mind. But before I start, let me express my condolances. I lost my parents early in life and know what's it like to lose someone close to you.

First, the burden of proof that the motor vehicle accident directly caused your premature labor. That won't be easy. There's nothing unusual about a premature birth. I have 3 kids. Two were 2 months early and one was 2 weeks late.

Second, premature labor isn't an "injury". As such, the insurance carier has grounds to deny coverage and it's unlikely you'll get money from the driver as most people allow a default verdict and then declare bankruptcy.

Third, let's say you can prove the premature labor was directly related to the accident and that the insurance carrier will indemnify you. What is missing a funeral really worth? I don't mean to be mean, but missing a one day event has minimal value. Maybe $1,500 to $2,500 in "go away" money. Also, since the settlement is not due to an injury, it is taxable income. If you have an attorney, they get 30-40% as well.

Fourth, let's say everything rolls your way. Proof, coverage, a sympathetic claims adjuster or jury... Missing a funeral just isn't a high dollar event. The accident didn't hasten her death so you have no loss of time with her. You simply missed her funeral. If you wanted to try and prove it will cause life long emotional scars, you will have to go thru a lot of serious counseling and convince them.

You can certainly make a claim, but I would caution you about having unrealistic expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive