Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

If you live anywhere with extreme weather a hybrid is not the car for you. For sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 09:47 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
So much WRONG in this thread.

I am on my 3rd FoMoCo hybrid, Lincoln MKZ.

The ICE does NOT run continuously for the first 15 minutes. Ever.

Temps in my area get over 100 a lot for 4 months a year. A fair amount of hills. No matter how silly I drive or how much AC I run I get 39-40 MPG all year long.

Premium over ICE only model was $0.

Living here in SoCal, tons of my friends and colleagues have had hybrids of every make and model for about a decade now and not a single one has ever replaced a battery. Ever.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:39 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There have been some bad mojo going with Chevy Volt....
No, there hasn't. Quit talking out your butt.

I'd take a used Volt in a heartbeat. 250+ mpg city (actually, nearly infinite fuel mileage as it doesn't use gas at all for up to 45 miles. Yeah, try to get that in a gasser or diesel) and if I wanted to take a long road trip and use Hold mode to run on gas when up to highway speeds, I saw over 50 mpg on the gas engine. Which is what I saw driving from Baltimore to Hartford, CT and back and also from Baltimore to Maine and back in my '13 Volt. I got about 33 miles all electric in the dead of wintger in single digit temps, and over 45 miles of electric use in the heat of summer with temps at 100 and the AC on all the time.

Used '13 Volts off lease are around $14k. Not a bad price for what you get for tech and driving dynamics and practicality.

Last edited by Tiffer E38; 11-28-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Camry hybrid also has much better torque than the comparable non-hybrid. Step on the gas, and it GOES. It's also very quiet. Camry Hybrid has some standard creature features that are nice. Same features require a higher level trim on the non hybrid . So it's not an exact apples-to-apples when comparing Camry Hybrid to non-hybrid with same trim level.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:54 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Coming up on 4 years, and 102,000 miles, on my Prius C. I bought it at a time when I was driving 70 miles each way to work. The added cost of the hybrid tech paid for itself in 22 months. I'm not going to claim that this is typical because a 70-mile commute is not typical.

These days, my commute is a much more reasonable [and typical] 16 miles each way through metro Atlanta suburbs. Most definitely not level ground, and plenty of slow-and-go traffic. On a round trip to work and back, I get anywhere from 52-60 mpg. Mileage is definitely better at speeds appropriate for suburban arterial roads than at interstate speeds. The only time it begins to take a hit is when you're sitting in crawling traffic, you've got air going, and the ICE kicks on when the battery starts getting low. Its little wonder that my best mileage days have been in spring or fall.

Much like WyoNewk, I've found that long road trips are a bit more taxing on my mind and body than they were when I owned a Honda Fit. I'm only 40, so its not just an age-related complaint. Aside from cabin noise, having to acquiesce to the will of anyone else with more horsepower for passing takes its toll.

BTW, if you ever get pulled over for speeding in a Prius, the traffic court judge might be the only one who believes it actually happened.

15-20 minutes for a hybrid system to warm up? I'm not even sure how one qualifies that statement.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
My mother had a Prius that she drove pretty much pedal to the metal constantly. But keeping up with that only required 1/2 throttle However she would still get 35mpg minimum even driving like that.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:27 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Classic Hybrid / EV Worries. Don't worry.
My Dad and I have rebuilt several Prius batteries over the past few years and have noticed that battery life is more about the batteries age rather than how many miles are put on it. Toyota has such a conservative battery management system on all its hybrids that simply driving the car does not fatigue the hybrid battery packs. Most of the battery's we have been rebuilding are from 2nd gen prius with various mileage ranging from 140k all the way to 300k. What is consistent is that they are 2004-2007. We had a few 2008 and 09s but none thing newer than than. If you are considering a 2016 that battery will give you many years of service before you have any worries.

As for the inverter it depends on the luck of the draw. I have seen inverters go out and I have seen some go 300k. It all depends on how well you maintain it by keeping coolent replaced at the regular interval. Plus not doing something stupid like towing beyond the limits.

I have owned toyota hybrids both Highlander and Prius for over 10 years and would say its a good buy. I only wish Toyota get the heads off the Fuel Cell and put more Plug In and All EV technology into their cars. (Prius Prime is a start but I am still not convinced not to go buy a Bolt)
HiHy Battery and Inverter Length of Use - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highest Mileage HiHy's - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 11-28-2016, 08:25 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Don't worry about replacing the battery.
They rarely fail.

It's a good time to buy a gas sipper.
Buy economy when gas is cheap, guzzlers when gas is expensive.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Thanks for the tip. I drove a C-Max once as a rental in Europe and liked it.
I owned a C-Max energi and got over 200+ mpg by the time the lease was up. I had free charging at work and charged overnight at home. My commute was only 10 miles each way so it worked out well. I'm thinking of getting a used one in a couple of months as they are dirt cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive