Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:37 AM

202 posts, read 1,017,534 times

Advertisements

I was considering getting a used second or first generation Ford Escape. Concerning the models with a hybrid engine, how much better gas mileage do they get over the non hybrid versions? I already looked on Edmunds and it didn't show mpg figures for the hybrid versions at all, just the regular versions.

I was also wondering if the hybrid versions were available with all-wheel-drive too?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 08:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
EPA says 31 hiway, 34 town, no that's not a typo. It gets better gas mileage in town per EPA testing. I have a bud that drives cars for the dealers who trade cars when a buyer has specific wants and another dealer has what they need. He claims the hybrids are horrible by comparison on the hiway when it comes to gas mileage. He claims the gas version without the hybrid crap runs circles around it and gets far better gas mileage, hiway. Town driving he claims they are about the same. This is real world results, not an EPA test. If you are a good driver and know how to drive one without hot rodding it, the straight version is ahead of the hybrid fuel wise.My wife has a 2014 Fusion and she beats the Fusion hybrid all the time with fuel mileage. We get 41-44 hiway with it and that's a number the hybrid won't touch. Her town in stop and go is a surprising 25-27 mpgs with the standard 2.5 4 banger. So depending on your driving habits will determine what you actually get out of one. I don't try to read much into the EPA numbers as we beat them with everything we own.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
EPA says 31 hiway, 34 town, no that's not a typo. It gets better gas mileage in town per EPA testing.
This is nothing new, nor all that surprising. You benefit from regen braking in town and you don't on the highway. Most hybrids are similar in that sense.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
We get 41-44 hiway with it
Driving 55 mph and drafting behind big rigs?

Old 08-15-2016, 11:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
Driving 55 mph and drafting behind big rigs?
Nope. She does have some kind of gas saving Michelin tires on it though. I assume they work fairly decent. They take 51lbs of air and rolling resistance is nothing as it will coast forever in a tailwind. The gas mileage is based on our travels in the Texas hill country, not flatland driving. While the 2.5 I-4 is a bulletproof engine, in this car it's no power house. It will move the car but I'd hate to drive it on a single lane hiway where heavy trucks are also on the road. You'll need LOTS of room to pass one.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Nope. She does have some kind of gas saving Michelin tires on it though. I assume they work fairly decent. They take 51lbs of air and rolling resistance is nothing as it will coast forever in a tailwind. The gas mileage is based on our travels in the Texas hill country, not flatland driving. While the 2.5 I-4 is a bulletproof engine, in this car it's no power house. It will move the car but I'd hate to drive it on a single lane hiway where heavy trucks are also on the road. You'll need LOTS of room to pass one.
That's impressive. LRRs do work pretty well but their grip is next to nonexistent, but then again, you're in Texas, so it's not as big a deal as similar tires were on my Energi Hybrid in Pittsburgh (ugh). Definitely hear you on the 2.5 - my wife currently drives a '15 with the same engine and a sprinter it is not. But then again, I drive a Focus ST, so anything normally aspirated and heavy is going to be slow to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:05 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
I have a 2016 C-Max which has a similar drivetrain but better aerodynamics. I get 45mpg in the city and 40mpg on the highway going 70mph. At 80mph the highway mileage drops to about 37mpg. Those numbers are still much better than the closest non-hybrid vehicle, the 2016 Escape.

BTW look at the C-Max. Brand new ones are cheap

Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
Quote:
EPA says 31 hiway, 34 town, no that's not a typo. It gets better gas mileage in town per EPA testing. I have a bud that drives cars for the dealers who trade cars when a buyer has specific wants and another dealer has what they need. He claims the hybrids are horrible by comparison on the hiway when it comes to gas mileage. He claims the gas version without the hybrid crap runs circles around it and gets far better gas mileage, hiway. Town driving he claims they are about the same. This is real world results, not an EPA test. If you are a good driver and know how to drive one without hot rodding it, the straight version is ahead of the hybrid fuel wise.My wife has a 2014 Fusion and she beats the Fusion hybrid all the time with fuel mileage. We get 41-44 hiway with it and that's a number the hybrid won't touch. Her town in stop and go is a surprising 25-27 mpgs with the standard 2.5 4 banger. So depending on your driving habits will determine what you actually get out of one. I don't try to read much into the EPA numbers as we beat them with everything we own.
The Fusion hybrid does get over 40mpg on the highway though. It should get about 45mpg. And if there are any type of hills, it will beat the non-hybrid.

25mpg in the city is abysmal compared to the hybrid. 45mpg city saves a LOT of gas vs 25mpg. Almost half the fuel usage.

You seem to have bought into the myth that hybrids are worse on the highway. At worst they're equal!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
The Fusion hybrid does get over 40mpg on the highway though. It should get about 45mpg. And if there are any type of hills, it will beat the non-hybrid.
Not in my experience. I used to drive a Fusion Energi and it averaged 35 mpg at highway speeds and over 40 in the city.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:27 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I just had a rental for a week. 2016 I'm assuming. It was one of those that shuts itself off every time you stop, Ecoboost?
It had a gas mileage gaugey thing where if you take your foot off the pedal you are getting 66 mpg and if you are accelerating it sinks.
I can't honestly say what it got average, highway it seemed to hover 24-28, but I felt like I was filling it up all the time. At first I was thinking - this must have a tiny tank. But when I filled it it seemed to take a normal amount of gas.
Sorry I don't have good specifics on the gas mileage. My impression is its not that great. This was all highway.

That said it seemed a nimble car with good acceleration and the back seats folded flat! (not down, flat). Or closer than anything comes these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln