Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Anyone reading here have a dog? How do you keep your nice black interior clean of dog hair?
I have a black dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Really?? Try and explain that. So what are you trying to say, that they want every customer out there but dropping there prices as far as they need to?? Do you really think they would rather lose $100 each on 10 cars, or make $50 on one??? Please try and explain that, (to me and lets say the directors and shareholders).

EDIT: I think you're forgetting a little thing called "the cold war". Back in the 60s and 70s there was A LOT OF fear and uncertainty about the future, of almost everything. In the 80s we started to realize how bad the U.S.S.R. was, and how were actually not doing that bad (overall, in general, and comparatively). There just isn't that mentality of needing to try to get every customer they can. They can do better by focusing efforts more appropriately.

Even in the last decade there was that thing called a "bailout". The big manufacturers don't need to worry about catering to every customer. They need to make money. There not going to bleed themselves or the shareholders when they can slowly make money. If any other company has a major breakthrough, or they have a major blunder; they will get one last blowout to pocket as much cash as they can.

Glad you at least looked up part of it, and found that bonded leather IS leather, (ok, its glued not sewn ) . Now go look up the other part; Vinyl is NOT leather, Its a synthetic.

Back to the point of this thread; How many of those 2016s are in the showroom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You said it very well and made the point I was making. These days, they are more interested in profit than the customer.

Back then, they were more likely to please the customer and offered a much wider choice of colors and special orders.
Back then, there was a lot more profit in it. I worked with a couple of guys that had sold cars for many years. The GM's would turn away people looking to be salesmen. Guys could walk right into it and make $60-$70K a year right away. In the late 80's/early 90's the Toyota salesmen bragged about making $100K/year working 38 hours per week.

Now days, everyone knows what it costs a dealer to buy the car. The days of making $1,500 on a car are long gone, except for the high end/high demand vehicles.

So to for the manufacturers. Used to be that everyone that sold cars sold a car made by UAW labor. Not so much anymore. Imports, manufacturers moving to the sun belt to avoid unions, moving to Mexico, means that everyone has to work to be competitive for the customer. That means offering the most for the least amount of money. Its like buying a large tract house in a new subdivision; limited customization and upgrades.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:

Viewed all 7 new cars in showroom.
Did you view any of the vehicles on the lot? What interiors did they have out on the lot? I wonder if this was nothing more than the dealership being all matchy matchy with the cars in the showroom.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:47 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I currently have tan leather. I am in the market for a new car in the next year, and one of my big requirements is that it have a black interior. The tan looks great when it's new, but it gets dirty quickly and is impossible to get totally clean. You can even see a blue tint on my driver's seat from my jeans, which I wear nearly every day (it doesn't come off, BTW).

I have two kids, so that doesn't help. I also have a dog, but she's only ever in the back (it's an SUV), she's never on the seats, so that's not an issue.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Black is my preferred color. I had grey leather in my last car, and it looked great when new, but as it aged, it showed the dirt well.

I solve the issue of dog hair by not having a dog.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:25 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Back then, there was a lot more profit in it. I worked with a couple of guys that had sold cars for many years. The GM's would turn away people looking to be salesmen. Guys could walk right into it and make $60-$70K a year right away. In the late 80's/early 90's the Toyota salesmen bragged about making $100K/year working 38 hours per week.

Now days, everyone knows what it costs a dealer to buy the car. The days of making $1,500 on a car are long gone, except for the high end/high demand vehicles.

So to for the manufacturers. Used to be that everyone that sold cars sold a car made by UAW labor. Not so much anymore. Imports, manufacturers moving to the sun belt to avoid unions, moving to Mexico, means that everyone has to work to be competitive for the customer. That means offering the most for the least amount of money. Its like buying a large tract house in a new subdivision; limited customization and upgrades.
Yeah, I know someone who worked at a big city ford dealership in the 80s and 90s and said there salary was $100-$120K

Old 12-17-2016, 05:20 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Lots of people like the Darth Vader look. Guess they think it makes them look like a bada$$ too.

I get that, but don't understand the trend towards black wheels on trucks and SUVs. They just look gawdawful, IMO.
Because it looks better than chrome.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:27 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Yeah, I know someone who worked at a big city ford dealership in the 80s and 90s and said there salary was $100-$120K
There's a older guy at my Porsche/Mercedes dealer who sells 200+ cars a year. We guesstimated he makes at least $300k a year, the dealer rewards him with a massive bonus at 200 cars. He lives in a private high end city here.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
nothing wrong with a 6-speed manual magnetic ride control 2016/2017 Regal Peacock Green Metallic Chevy SS with Black leather interior

Old 12-18-2016, 02:40 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
Used to be able to get a green interior, blue interior, white interior, tan interior and on and on.
I get it. Some DO like black. But does everyone?
Yes, it does save the manufacturers some money. But really, how much more would it cost to offer at least a tan interior?
Black seats, black dash, black carpet . . . the worstest to keep clean.
I love the color in the old vehicles and wish they would bring it back. Just how things are all black, I like all one color but at least a choice. To add to your rant, the painted rims are all black now too. I liked when they were painted to match the car.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...5_00041_01.jpg
http://www.classicchambered.com/rims/car.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...660c02e442.jpg
Then you have tires.
http://inventorspot.com/files/images...ist_custom.jpg
https://www.dbtires.com/store/shopbrand.cfm?brand=60
Why settle and have all these cars look the same?

As for pet hair, I don't care. My dog has black, white, gray, and brown hair so it shows no matter what. I do like tan or gray for my interior as I use my truck. Plus black is a killer in summer, my family had one I the air broke four years before we got rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive