Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

I've been internet car shopping for pre-owned cars at local dealerships, and I've found three that I really like. Assuming prices and mileage are similar, which one would you pick?

Nissan Leaf--all electric vehicle, doesn't take gas, amazing.
Toyota Prius--hybrid vehicle that gets about 50 mpg
Nissan Versa--4 cylinder vehicle that gets about 35 mpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 02:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
All are good.
Depends on your needs and requirements.
And do check resale and trade-in values for down the road.

One is not better or worse then the other.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:29 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
For What task?

Driving cross country (or any more than 40 miles, which is its real world range)? The Leaf is out. It's a good Dedicated route vehicle if you have a primary already or travel more than 40 miles in a day only on very rare occasions where you can just rent/borrow something.

The Versa is in a lower class of vehicle, it's simply made to a cheaper price point as evident by their brand new price (about $10k cheaper than a Prius). The Prius is simply a nicer car across the board.... but the old adage about something being too good to be true should be held firmly in mind if you've found one that's the same mileage and price as a Versa unless there's a decade of age between the 2.

I, personally, wouldn't buy any of those. Which you should buy is for you to decide.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:40 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Brian asked a very valid question.
What for?
All across Prius is known for unbeatable reliability. It's not a street racer but I have heard some interesting news about the updating version of it. Associate owns 1st gen Prius and his father owns Prius V. He told his father can literally run circles around him when driving. Literally. Those were his words. they did something to the engine to make it more responsive.
Otherwise, it is utilitarian workhorse. Roomy. Then it also has that "it's a Prius" fame.
Before looking at Leaf, cute it is, make sure you understand ALL the costs of its ownership. It turns very pricy in about 5 years, while Prius keeps going and going and going.

https://vimeo.com/27535208

Versa? Never heard anything good about them. I think it's one of the most drab cars sold.
What's wrong with Civic? Or Corolla?

Old 11-26-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Brian asked a very valid question.
What for?
All across Prius is known for unbeatable reliability. It's not a street racer but I have heard some interesting news about the updating version of it. Associate owns 1st gen Prius and his father owns Prius V. He told his father can literally run circles around him when driving. Literally. Those were his words. they did something to the engine to make it more responsive.
Otherwise, it is utilitarian workhorse. Roomy. Then it also has that "it's a Prius" fame.
Before looking at Leaf, cute it is, make sure you understand ALL the costs of its ownership. It turns very pricy in about 5 years, while Prius keeps going and going and going.

[vimeo]27535208[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/27535208

Versa? Never heard anything good about them. I think it's one of the most drab cars sold.
What's wrong with Civic? Or Corolla?
I got the Prius. I hope I didn't make a mistake. It turns out the mileage was higher than the Versa and Leaf, but I got an extended warranty that even covers routine maintenance. The Leaf had the lowest mileage, though, and I'm still curious about it. Maybe I'll check on it in three years when I have this paid off.

Last edited by krmb; 11-26-2016 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 08:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I'd skip the Nissans, so I think you made a good choice among the three with the Prius. The Versa is inexpensive, and feels it, without great performance and average reliability. The Leaf depreciates like a rock and is not as safe as a Prius. The Prius is a very reliable vehicle, and many cabs are Toyota synergy drive hybrids, and cabs have to be reliable.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-26-2016, 08:16 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Prius.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:00 AM

Well, I already bought it, so I can't really change my mind, but I hope I didn't make a mistake. The retail price of the car was like $8500, but the car company financed it for me for 12 percent and $500 down, plus the trade-in of my old vehicle. The car is 2010, and it has around 98,000 miles on it. I checked the Kelly Blue Book value, though, and it's worth more than what they say they sold it to me for, but I'm a little concerned about my interest rate and what I can do to pay off the car early and avoid paying more interest than necessary. I also got an extended warranty just in case the major components, like the hybrid battery, fail. After all, I didn't want to be left without a vehicle due to a major repair and still owing on the car.

Last edited by krmb; 11-27-2016 at 03:39 AM..

Old 11-27-2016, 03:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
which one would you pick?

Nissan Leaf
Toyota Prius
Nissan Versa
None of them. I leave those cars to my mother-in-law. My car has a V-8.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
None of them. I leave those cars to my mother-in-law. My car has a V-8.
...and it probably burns gas like one, too. Sorry, but to someone on a budget, a fuel efficient car is worth a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive