Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,284,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
I still even have the original clutch on the thing and I taught myself how to drive a stick on it.
Did you buy the car and then learn stick?
I did that. My sister had to test drive it with me as the passenger.
Then you got no choice but to learn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM

141 posts, read 105,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Did you buy the car and then learn stick?
I did that. My sister had to test drive it with me as the passenger.
Then you got no choice but to learn!
I did have a little experience in a junkyard since my buddy's grandma owned it, but my first real driving on the road was that car. Clunked it a bunch of times but eventually got it down and must have learned well enough as I still have the original clutch on it at 248,000 miles. I pretty did have to learn it or I guess I wouldn't be driving. I wanted a 5 speed anyway because I thought (still do) think they are cool.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Now I wish my other car (also American) was a stick, but I'll settle for what I got (1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator). Here is me driving that in 360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9NJP6U3Bo

Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 PM

Inside looks pretty good!
My Merkur is also an automatic. Wife can't drive stick.
If there's a fire she needs to be able to back it out of the garage.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,975,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The biggest problem I see with any vehicle is the owner/drivers that don't properly maintain them, abuse them, or use them for what they are not designed for.
I know a lot of people who do really stupid things to their cars, mostly having to do with the way they drive them, then they say the car is a piece of junk instead of owning the fact it's their fault.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I know a lot of people who do really stupid things to their cars, mostly having to do with the way they drive them, then they say the car is a piece of junk instead of owning the fact it's their fault.
That and I think a lot of people live in big cities where stop and go driving kills cars. Most of my driving on my car is highway miles so that's probably one of the reasons it's lasted so long.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
That and I think a lot of people live in big cities where stop and go driving kills cars. Most of my driving on my car is highway miles so that's probably one of the reasons it's lasted so long.
Or they live in a place where the weather doesn't kill 'hem.
The don't call it the Rust Belt for nothin'.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Or they live in a place where the weather doesn't kill 'hem.
The don't call it the Rust Belt for nothin'.
My Focus spent its first 6 winters in Wisconsin before I moved to Texas. You do have to worry about corrosion and stuff, but mine's held up. I guess last weekend did replace (after 9 years) the assembly for a license plate light due to corrosion: Holy Corrosion! Fixing a Burnt Out License Plate Light on the Focus - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 PM

193 posts, read 169,914 times
Yes. It's all in the details. Here is a side by side comparison of a Toyota Truck vs a Ford Truck.

The Toyota Truck has heat shield throughout the exhaust while Ford stops halfway. Toyota neatly tucks all wires and stuff under the car saftely. While Ford has theirs dangling all over the place. Don't get me started on the Motor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZA7lkcJYhA

Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Yes. It's all in the details. Here is a side by side comparison of a Toyota Truck vs a Ford Truck.

The Toyota Truck has heat shield throughout the exhaust while Ford stops halfway. Toyota neatly tucks all wires and stuff under the car saftely. While Ford has theirs dangling all over the place. Don't get me started on the Motor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZA7lkcJYhA
Meanwhile Toyota just settled on a 3.4 BILLION dollar frame recall suite on their trucks. Agreed that Toyota has the details down but sometimes still blows the basics (like adequate corrosion protection-duh!), glad they are taking responsibility for the issue. These aren't the first of their trucks to experience the problem either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive