Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 AM

94 posts, read 68,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The Aztek is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen right up there with Citroen.
Well, it DOES look like a BMW X6.

X6

Aztek

Now. As Walter White's car.. I think maybe I can get with an Aztek. If finding one not a POS. Bigger than a Subaru, not a minivan (?) and ... yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:11 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Say what you will about them, but the K-Car Imperials were FINE automobiles - and astonishingly elegant, considering what they were made from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU668s0F3XI

My husband almost bought a '92, sitting unsold at the Chrysler dealership, in '93. The dealer was eager to discount it radically. But DH opted for another Volvo - used - instead. That Volvo ended-up saving his life. The Imperial might not have done so. And our Volvos, obviously, afforded us far better social status and image. Still, I sometimes wonder how it might have been, floating around in all that pillowy, velvety, gadget-intensive luxury.
The K-car-based Imperials had some major issues. They went through transmissions faster than some people go through underwear! The 3.3L (std in 1990) and 3.8L (std. 1991-1993) V6 engines had a reputation for sludge buildup (eventually causing 'catastrophic engine failure'). Some of them also blew head gaskets on a regular basis.

The K-car platform was designed for an economy car- the Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant. In their final year of production (1989), the Aries had a starting price of $7,595. The '90 Imperial started at $26,925. That's quite a stretch, literally and figuratively. It wasn't a very rigid platform and stretching it only exacerbated that. One of the inherent problems with platform sharing is that you can make it longer, but you can't make it wider. So the Imperial was exactly one inch wider than the Dodge Aries.

I've always been a car buff and I remember reading about the Imperials when they were introduced in 1990. Many dealers had nicknamed white Imperials as "Virginia Slim" (referring to the long, thin cigarettes). Not to mention that they all seemed to have that hideous burgundy interior that was the same color as a slaughterhouse floor.

Trust me when I tell you that the pillowy, velvety interior is nowhere near as comfy as it looked. Those seats had no sort of lateral or lumbar support. Meanwhile, Volvo is known for having the most comfortable seats in the industry. I would take austere Scandinavian simplicity and functionality over American pseudo-luxury gimmicks any day! You (or your other half) made the better choice, especially considering the Volvo saved his life! Prior to the early-mid 2000s, nothing was safer than a Volvo.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:13 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Scion xB....Honda Element. I like those square cars for some reason
When I was shopping for a new car in late 2005, I really wanted an Element. But I couldn't find an EX model with manual transmission anywhere in the Southeast! So I bought a 2006 Mazda3 5-door instead.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:22 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee2 View Post
Well, it DOES look like a BMW X6.

X6

Aztek

Now. As Walter White's car.. I think maybe I can get with an Aztek. If finding one not a POS. Bigger than a Subaru, not a minivan (?) and ... yeah.
Finding one that's not a POS might be the trick. I have noticed that they don't seem to rust, or at least if they do the plastic panels hide it well.

Watch for all the usual GM 3.4l troubles, intake manifold gaskets, head gaskets, heads, etc. The AC has probably gone beyond the point of "needs a recharge" and the electrical system is going to be full of little gremlins on a mid 90's VAG scale. It's telling that GM has a service bulletin on how to open the tailgate (you have to drill holes in the inside cover) and sells plugs to cover those holes. I managed to fight mine open and rewired the gate to open with the key.

But if you find a good good yu will be surprised at what it will do. It's a Swiss Army knife.

Carries lots of "sporting goods"

more fun items

Somewhere I have one of the 'Tek at the Arctic Circle, handles the Dalton Highway and the Denali Highway like a champ.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:25 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
Oh, when that tailgate comes down, you will find scallops for your seating comfort and cupholders, and in a nice one the rear audio controls will work the sound system while you sit on the tailgate, have a drink and watch the world go by.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:36 AM

94 posts, read 68,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Oh, when that tailgate comes down, you will find scallops for your seating comfort and cupholders, and in a nice one the rear audio controls will work the sound system while you sit on the tailgate, have a drink and watch the world go by.
I do that in my Blazer.

WHY do the GM cars always seem to have "problems."

Oh well. My unicorn is out there...

Old 12-24-2016, 11:30 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
I love Studebakers, Packards, and Cadillacs. When they were a Cadillac not this poor excuse overpriced garbage.
Bullet nosed champ.

I'd lower it slightly, build a 327 tie it to a Muncie T10 leave it just the way it is. Headers to glasspacks exiting out the back. Nothing sounds better than a high compression solid lifter choppy cam through glasspacks...

Studebaker hawk

47 all steel Packard clipper. Econobox cars would bounce off of these things

56 Packard clipper.

67 Coupe Deville.

I'd leave it just like this only run 3 inch chrome pipes under the quarter panels exiting under the rear bumper. 472/500 cadillac V8 to glasspacks.

61 Lincoln Continental convertible. Suicide doors are sweet.

50s Nash metropolitan. About the only econobox I'd ever own, however it would be the perfect candidate for an LS swap.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
For some reason people had the hate on for AMC Gremlins,Mom had one just like this one and i loved it =

Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,165,715 times
I've always liked the 71 Riviera. Most people think it's an ugly boat, but I love the lines and that rear window. Of course, that window would probably be expensive to replace if it broke.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 PM

230 posts, read 173,241 times
Opel Manta!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive