Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 06:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times

Advertisements

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...mecum-auctions

According to the link, it was thought to be lost, but the longtime owner finally got in touch with Ford to let them know he had it.

I would have sent it to the crusher in President Obama's excellent 'cash for clunkers' program of 2009! I don't see a need any more for 'muscle' cars of this type.

Great chase seen though. This is the short version. There are longer versions on youtube if you want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7XR7s8Z7o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 08:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
That car and Christine are two of my favorites. There have been other movie cars, but those two are iconic, IMO.

I am not that far away from the auction site, and may go, just to say I saw it.

I just watched the Gas Monkey Garage episode where they "recreated" the car, but in usual Gas Monkey tradition, they didn't get it quite right, and couldn't keep the car running long enough to do what it was supposed to do. They finally got one scene shot, but it was still a little lame.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
They had this thing displayed on the D.C. mall last year. Pretty neat to see it in person. A bit beat up (rusted areas as well as holes drilled into the car for camera/rigging, etc.), but the display was awesome as it was in a lit glass enclosure.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:40 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...mecum-auctions

According to the link, it was thought to be lost, but the longtime owner finally got in touch with Ford to let them know he had it.

I would have sent it to the crusher in President Obama's excellent 'cash for clunkers' program of 2009! I don't see a need any more for 'muscle' cars of this type.

Great chase seen though. This is the short version. There are longer versions on youtube if you want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7XR7s8Z7o
That would most definitely be a must see for anyone living in the area. For the chase seen alone, I saw that movie at least a half dozen times when it was first released.

I must confess, though, to a tad bit of skepticism that that is the mustang. Kept quiet all these years, all the while the movie being iconic? Stretches to the limits of credibility.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
I seem to recall reading that Steve McQueen was a very skilled driver. I think maybe participated in racing from time to time. Wonder if he did his own driving in the scenes? IIRC it was set in San Fran, and they were flying up and down the steep hills.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:56 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I seem to recall reading that Steve McQueen was a very skilled driver. I think maybe participated in racing from time to time. Wonder if he did his own driving in the scenes? IIRC it was set in San Fran, and they were flying up and down the steep hills.
Indeed he was and, indeed, he did do his own driving in the movie. That was really him.

One of the first things I did after moving out here in '73 was to drive a good portion of his route....a bit more slowly and carefully, though.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:17 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,421,537 times
He at one time had a custom built FLEXABLE bus converted into a car hauler for his race car, It had a small kitchen and shower a a couple of beds. It was powered buy a 426 hemi engine which replaced the old diesel one before the conversion. I rode in it several times when a fellow I knew had it. It was used in a christian mobile book ministry in south america before my friend acquired it for a traveling rock band.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
movie trivia: bad guys lost five hubcaps in chase. last one is hard to see.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:33 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I absolutely love Christine.
It actually did a drive by in one of Stephen Kings other movies.
Steve McQueens Bullet Mustang is incredible.
Not sure I am sold that it the one though.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
The other iconic cars are the 32 coupe, 55 Chevy, and 58 Chevy from American Graffiti. Not so much for the 58, but the other two are great.

Funny part is, the 32 really wasn't built perfectly, as any hot rodder will know. The grille shell was chopped because they were going to channel the body, but they ran out of time, so the grille shell is way too low. There are some other no no's on the car, but it is still cool because of the movie.

The 55 was actually built better than the studio wanted . Jerry Ruth built the car for another movie "two lane blacktop", and thought the studios wanted a full blown gasser, so it was very trick and very fast. When the movie was done, the movie folks used it for the Graffiti movie too.

After the movie was over, the coupe and 55 were stored away in an outdoor storage lot at the Universal Studios facility. After a few years, they ran an ad in the local paper advertising the coupe and 55. I forget the final selling prices, but I think they were in the $ 800-$2500 range. At that time they were just old used up movie cars and no one knew they would become iconic.

Another iconic car was Grabowskis T bucket from 77 Sunset Strip. That one was turned into a show car with goofy stuff like twin blowers and 4 slicks on the back, and is hidden away somewhere where the new owner will not let anyone near it.

Just a little car/movie history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive