Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 PM

732 posts, read 391,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Indeed he was and, indeed, he did do his own driving in the movie. That was really him.
Only in a couple of scenes.

Bud Ekins drove the Mustang (and Hickman the Charger of course, like most car chase things of the era).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I absolutely love Christine.
It actually did a drive by in one of Stephen Kings other movies.
Steve McQueens Bullet Mustang is incredible.
Not sure I am sold that it the one though.
Christine at the Atlantic City car show auction last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Steve McQueen's 'Bullitt' Mustang to be auctioned.-img_20190209_131103_resized_20190816_082255971.jpg  

Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
OMG 'scene' not 'seen' (in post #1). Being a self-professed grammar Nazi, I'm mortified.

After watching the clip, I decided to search to see what happened to the Dodge Charger used by the villains.
https://www.carlylemotors.com/vehicl...d64ac1ba3ee3ec

They say they can't authenticate it 100%, but they think it's the one. The records from the movie have long since been thrown out by Warner Bros.

They say 2 different Chargers were used in the filming, and the fate of the other one is unknown. Maybe that explains the 5 hubcaps noted by 'turkeydance.'

Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
I recently saw a small documentary on the car. The guy that now owns it, his father bought it back in the 70's I think, and actually used it as a daily driver. At the time it wasnt a sought after car. It was stored in a barn, and the guys father kept running into it going in and out of the barn. I understand the guy wanted to rebuild it, and it wound up in pieces in the barn sitting for years. The father died and the son inherited it. He said he had never seen it running only in the movies. I hit the high spots. It goes in length when the father had it and kept it a secret what it was. He overheard one of his buddy's having a conversation about the Bullitt Mustang. He finally told his buddy, I have it, do you want to see it, his buddy was stunned when he took him to see it in the barn covered up. McQueen got wind of it and wrote a letter wanting to buy it. The guy refused to sell it. The son still has the letter. Interesting story.

Last edited by RcHydro; 08-16-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...mecum-auctions

According to the link, it was thought to be lost, but the longtime owner finally got in touch with Ford to let them know he had it.

I would have sent it to the crusher in President Obama's excellent 'cash for clunkers' program of 2009! I don't see a need any more for 'muscle' cars of this type.

Great chase seen though. This is the short version. There are longer versions on youtube if you want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7XR7s8Z7o

Interesting commentary. I'm sure it was done just to ruffle some feathers but it's amazing how often such comments are made, sometimes in all seriousness. Think of all the things we no longer "need." Literature, music, science, medicine, travel, comfort, fine food and drink.

It's kind of nice just to have things to enrich our lives that we don't really need. Even a beat up old muscle car.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:14 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...mecum-auctions

According to the link, it was thought to be lost, but the longtime owner finally got in touch with Ford to let them know he had it.

I would have sent it to the crusher in President Obama's excellent 'cash for clunkers' program of 2009! I don't see a need any more for 'muscle' cars of this type.

Great chase seen though. This is the short version. There are longer versions on youtube if you want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7XR7s8Z7o
Quote:
I don't see a need any more for 'muscle' cars of this type.
It's a rush one gets, that one can not get with the newer cars, but I do believe it's a feeling, not everyone feels.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
God that's a great chase scene. Why can't directors today make something as well as was made 50 years ago?

On a related note, there is some company that is making 65-68 Mustangs brand new, they come with a 460 HP engine, heavy duty brakes and suspension, airbags, etc., but designed to look just like the these original Mustangs. No idea what they cost, probably six figures.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Only in a couple of scenes.

Bud Ekins drove the Mustang (and Hickman the Charger of course, like most car chase things of the era).
That was McQueen in most of the scenes. Ekins and Corey Loftin (the truck driver in Duel) did take over in a few of the most dangerous situations, like the hill jumps and driving high speed between the truck and the guard rail later in the chase. But McQueen was the primary driver.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:35 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That was McQueen in most of the scenes. Ekins and Corey Loftin (the truck driver in Duel) did take over in a few of the most dangerous situations, like the hill jumps and driving high speed between the truck and the guard rail later in the chase. But McQueen was the primary driver.
I think McQueen did some auto and motorcycle racing. Paul Newman and Jim Garner also did some auto racing at a pretty high level as well. The studio's insurance requirements kept McQueen from doing the most dangerous car and motorcycle stunt driving. Jim Garner did do all his own F1 driving in "Grand Prix". They actually used F3 cars though, but still an impressive feat.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:11 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think McQueen did some auto and motorcycle racing. Paul Newman and Jim Garner also did some auto racing at a pretty high level as well. The studio's insurance requirements kept McQueen from doing the most dangerous car and motorcycle stunt driving. Jim Garner did do all his own F1 driving in "Grand Prix". They actually used F3 cars though, but still an impressive feat.

McQueen did race motorcycles, and was quite good. There are some good riding scenes of him, Mert lawwill and Malcolm Smith, both world class riders, in the movie, " On Any Sunday ". If you have a drop of dirt bike riding in your blood you have seen this movie several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive