Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 AM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

So you had slow coolant leak somewhere, dripping onto hot engine parts. That will produce smell. Should have been addressed right away.
As the result, you slowly lost coolant until - not sure what your system is, sealed or not - air was sucked inside and created an air bubble. And vacuum, that collapsed the hose.
You lucky.
On a 2.4L 4 cyl t-stat is for some dumb reason down at the engine block bottom. It's beyond me, why. Just getting there and draining it all was what kept me from replacing it on my 99 Ranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Would a bad heater core leak fluid inside the cab?
Yes, it could. Recommend eliminating the t-stat as a culprit first.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Getting too old to do this myself I had my upper and lower hoses replaced on my 12 year old Ranger a few months ago. Ever since I continued to smell radiator water
Why didn't you immediately go back to the shop that replaced the hoses?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
OK here is the update. I believe yesterday I bleed the system without realizing what I was doing. When I got back I opened the cap (no pressure, hmmmm) and watched as air came to the surface and the coolant dropped. I added anti-freeze and water to get it to full but it was not much at all, maybe a quart to 2 quarts at most. Hard for me to believe I had a coolant leak if this is all the level had dropped since October. As I said I after the smell I monitored the levels and they stayed pretty constant.

But I still go back to the Hot reading, the immediate drop there which screams thermostat sticking, and the lack of pressure which points to the cap. So to be safe replace the thermostat, the cap and have the system pressure tested?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Why didn't you immediately go back to the shop that replaced the hoses?
Because I am an idiot, do not drive the truck often, and figured it would go away as I thought it was overflow. The smell is not terribly strong, there is no visible steam, truck never ran hot before yesterday so that's the reason.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I'm leaning to radiator cap.

If you look under your radiator cap it has a spring and a tip with a metal plug surrounded by a rubber skirt.

Your cooling system warms up. If your cap is bad as the system builds pressure which sends coolant to the overflow tank. As it builds more pressure it keeps sending coolant to the overflow tank then the tank itself overflows. That's when you smell the coolant. Most likely coming through the AC vents as the intake is at the base of the windshield. The system builds up a air bubble, it tries to draw in coolant but the cap sucks down on the radiator neck with the vacuum created and it prevents the fluid from flowing from the overflow to the radiator/cooling system.

Your t-stat is working because your hose is collapsing. The system cannot draw the additional coolant from the overflow. I had brand new caps that were bad. Another thing that could of happened is the shop could of misplaced your cap and grabbed a bad one or one going bad or yours was gradually going bad and finally crapped out or they grabbed one off another Ford. They all look alike.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'm leaning to radiator cap.

If you look under your radiator cap it has a spring and a tip with a metal plug surrounded by a rubber skirt.

Your cooling system warms up. If your cap is bad as the system builds pressure which sends coolant to the overflow tank. As it builds more pressure it keeps sending coolant to the overflow tank then the tank itself overflows. That's when you smell the coolant. Most likely coming through the AC vents as the intake is at the base of the windshield. The system builds up a air bubble, it tries to draw in coolant but the cap sucks down on the radiator neck with the vacuum created and it prevents the fluid from flowing from the overflow to the radiator/cooling system.

Your t-stat is working because your hose is collapsing. The system cannot draw the additional coolant from the overflow. I had brand new caps that were bad. Another thing that could of happened is the shop could of misplaced your cap and grabbed a bad one or one going bad or yours was gradually going bad and finally crapped out or they grabbed one off another Ford. They all look alike.
That's what I'm thinking too, I just switched it out. It's a 14 year old truck, the cap may have gone bad. I guess the only way to find out is to drive it and see. Since I don't drive far I won't get too stranded.

Thanks for the help everyone

Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking too, I just switched it out. It's a 14 year old truck, the cap may have gone bad. I guess the only way to find out is to drive it and see. Since I don't drive far I won't get too stranded.

Thanks for the help everyone
Yeah eventually the spring or the rubber wears out.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
4.0 L Engine. Looks like bleeding the system is pretty damned easy, I may switch out the cap and do as the link instructs.

Hoses were replaced last fall. I was all set to flush the system, then noticed I had original hoses from '04. Rather than flush, then have all the new antifreeze dumped when the hoses were replaced I decided to suspend the flush and pay to have both hoses replaced. The smell started occurring immediately after this. But the truck never showed any signs of overheating or losing fluid until the temp gauge went straight up yesterday, then immediately down.
Dave, would this thread help?

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post46730478
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive