Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM

696 posts, read 905,206 times

Advertisements

I want to replace my low beam headlights with LED's, we have no streetlights here and lots of deer. What is the brightest LED I can get? Also is there a way to tell how many lumens it has, since alot of headlights I have seen for sale don't list it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM

505 posts, read 847,835 times
If you currently have reflector lenses, I hope you're doing a proper retrofit with projectors -- for the sake of other drivers on the road.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
If you currently have reflector lenses, I hope you're doing a proper retrofit with projectors -- for the sake of other drivers on the road.
Ya I will, what's the best kind of lights to get though?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
LEDs in low beams even in projectors don't work too well. The beam pattern just isn't right. For now anyway you are still better off with an HID retrofit.

FYI - The sellers of LED lowbeams are awash in false lumen ratings too.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I agree with the others. Stick to HIDs.

If you really want LED headlights, then trade for a car that comes with them.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
I went through:
1. Phillips HID like halogens from Autozone, $55, best they had
2. 2 different HIDS
3. 3 different LEDs
for my 07 Camry. I have tinted windshield, so .... commuting in complete darkness on wavy backroads required good lighting
This is best set I am happy with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As in - I am happy.
But I do have projectors in that car.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
LED headlamps are still a fledgling technology. Most manufacturers dabbling in them are sticking them in higher end models, and the assemblies are pricey.

Also, LED lights are designed to be direct projected, and not reflected. You'll notice all LED head and taillamps are not using a reflector, but using multiple LEDs to direct project, so sticking an LED bulb in a housing is not going to work the same.

Finally, most aftermarket headlamp setups are cheap Chinese crap.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I went through:
1. Phillips HID like halogens from Autozone, $55, best they had
2. 2 different HIDS
3. 3 different LEDs
for my 07 Camry. I have tinted windshield, so .... commuting in complete darkness on wavy backroads required good lighting
This is best set I am happy with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As in - I am happy.
But I do have projectors in that car.
Have you tried the OPT7 LED's? How does it compare?

Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
LED headlamps are still a fledgling technology. Most manufacturers dabbling in them are sticking them in higher end models, and the assemblies are pricey.

Also, LED lights are designed to be direct projected, and not reflected. You'll notice all LED head and taillamps are not using a reflector, but using multiple LEDs to direct project, so sticking an LED bulb in a housing is not going to work the same.

Finally, most aftermarket headlamp setups are cheap Chinese crap.
Caveat: I'm not an expert on lighting for cars, it is an interesting subject. But this reminds me of doing it "right" vs. some garage hack-job for $150. I've done enough of the latter in my younger days to know the difference.

I went through a similar thought process about a year ago for my '07 Tacoma (PU). The stock units are OK, old-school halogen, but I tired of going through bulbs and the housings were looking a bit tired. The brighter, whiter halogen bulbs work great awhile, then self-destruct. To be expected, no one promised they'd last longer. Quite the opposite, actually, and BTW I'm not knocking those Philips bulbs since they're performing as-advertised.

I then looked at eBay whole lighting and housing units. They do *not* have the best reputation for water tightness and general durability, to say the least. More than a few guys on the Tacoma forums make money by tearing down and sealing up such units properly. I find it ridiculous that such a market even exists to seal an existing, new product. Some of the installs end up with dissatisfied owners after a short while; the rest go silent on the subject either from embarrassment or...hey, maybe they're happy.

This brought me to well-built retrofits. There are guys in Seattle (shops) who do this for a living, with solid reviews on forums, Yelp, and etc. I thoroughly researched one such shop, then brought the situation to them with some concepts.

End of the day, it was Bi-Xenon (aka HID) retrofits, with LED halos, after all using known-quality parts (Morimoto projectors, Morimoto LED Halos (aka angel eyes)). I had additional work done for aesthetics purposes, to the turn signals, running lights, and fogs. They built all of to my spec, with some tweaks that are rather interesting, if you like angel eyes plus your own bespoke look on the retrofitted stock housings. My housings are now black, for example.

You really can't use stock housings for HIDs, as others indicate, nor for LED projectors/bulbs. Not properly, anyway.

Like the quoted person indicates, LED for the projector/bulb is pretty new tech and was a bit more expensive and exploratory than I wanted to go. Today, I'd think it over if the prices are comparable. For retrofits, I don't really know if anyone would want to do that with today's tech vs. bi-xenon.

So end of the day, I did retrofits *correctly designed* for long-term durability and usefulness. I've had that Tacoma 10 years, bought with zero miles, and assume I'll have it another 10 since it's so useful and bulletproof. Some vehicles are worth the investment. I have carefully-adjusted, squared off blueish HIDS that look great and project well. I went with hotter color temp (6K) for white-blue light, though frankly as I understand it the 4.3K HIDs project a more-visible cone of illumination for the human eye. I knew that going in, and went with the 6K for style vs. substance.

If you're DIY, there are entire retrofit stores online that will help you spec out exactly what is needed, down to the last part. That would have halved the cost of my project, or more, frankly, and there are online installation sources for many vehicles. If I had more time than money, that would be the way to go IMHO.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
There are LED bulbs you can buy, to replace an h series bulb, but they don't have great spread, which is why you see new cars with multiple LED setups for better spread, like GM and Acura.
https://www.google.com/search?q=led+...btnG=&safe=off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive