Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
What if there were 10 9/11 scale terrorist attacks every year? People would be protesting in the streets for the government to stop the carnage. That's about what the highway death toll is annually in the US.

Because the deaths are spread out over the year and geographically, people don't perceive auto accidents to be a significant threat to their well being. Driving drunk, drugged, or distracted by texting or video screens is all too common and the consequences deadly.

The real problem with autonomous driving is the illusion of lack of control. We fear what we don't understand. How much control do you actually have on the streets today over a being a victim of impaired or distracted drivers?
exactly.
i wish people paid attention when they drive but most people don't. most people are stupid on top of that.
we can't pretend we live in some fantasy land where everyone is a great and attentive driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Anyone who wants to ban human driving is just as bad as terrorists. Given up freedoms in the name of safety is beyond disgusting and the path towards a 1984 dystopic society.

Driving is a freedom and a special privilege and self driving cars scream SKYNET!!!
yes clearly anyone who wants driving to be a lot safer with a lot less innocent people dying is exactly the same as someone actively going around killing innocent people blowing up buildings etc. great logic there. you're a perfect example of why we need self driving cars.

i'm pretty anti gov't and think you should be allowed to do what you want as long as you don't infringe on others. the problem is bad drivers (which most people are) kill others at a pretty alarming pace.
it's one thing when we can't do any better as a society to have this go on, it's another thing entirely once there's a better way.

driving may be a freedom which is not a special privilege at all.pass a test at 16 and you're basically allowed to drive for life no matter how terrible of a driver you are. some special privilege that is.

should we also take all of the technology out of airplanes that have literally eliminated domestic plane crashes while we're at it? maybe let pilots have more control like in the good old days when we had plane crashes on a regular basis.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Anyone who wants to ban human driving is just as bad as terrorists. Given up freedoms in the name of safety is beyond disgusting and the path towards a 1984 dystopic society.

Driving is a freedom and a special privilege and self driving cars scream SKYNET!!!
I somewhat agree, but for the most part, many people are totally fine with giving up freedoms if they think its going to be safer.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
It's funny to see so many people with their head in the sand regarding self driving cars.. I guess they are not current with the advances in artificial intelligence AI and how fast the field is developing

Self driving cars are coming faster than people think because with AI the algorithms train themselves to handle all sort of situations.. AI is now able to handle imperfect information to design a strategy to solve a problem.
I do not think they realize how much R&D, and time has went into this self drive technology. All the big auto manufacturers know this is the future and have been partnering with companies like Google.

If you look back when the first motorized car came out and the period when cars began to replace the horse and buggy, the exact same thing happened as what we see today, people cannot accept whats happening, its happening too fast, its too dangerous, etc.

Manual driving will be the butt of many jokes when my grandkids reach adulthood! The 'old days' when people actually had to drive their cars and all the problems that caused, they will wonder why we did this for so long.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
When people get into accidents with self driving, the lawyers will be having a field day. They are salivating waiting for it to happen.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Against it, to the max.

Next up: Prohibitions on self-bicycling, self-swimming, self-boating, self-walking, self-THINKING.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I've often wondered if there is any data on how self driving vehicles react to inclement driving conditions like blizzard conditions, sand storms, clouds of insects and other wind blown particulate that may mask the sensors and create a false reality of what's in front of a vehicle.
I'm thinking that they would just stop with the belief that it's a stopped object ahead.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Manual driving will be the butt of many jokes when my grandkids reach adulthood! The 'old days' when people actually had to drive their cars and all the problems that caused, they will wonder why we did this for so long.
And what a sad boring existence they will have. They won’t know how to do anything but open the door and just sit there, and become even more lazy than people are today. Might as well make giant infant seats for the back, because that’s what they’ll be like, big babies.

I don’t know about you, but I have been driving for 22 years, and driving has never caused me a “problem”, in fact I like doing it.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
I can only say that AI-driven vehicles are a trial lawyer's dream come true.

If you think the Takada airbag recall/lawsuit was bad, you ain't seen nothin yet.

There are some bumps in the Road To Perfection.

Human drivers make errors. Many errors. Computers, OTOH, crash.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
15 or 20 years...no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive