Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I personally would look at new vehicles if you are having to spend over 20 anyway. Then you can shop for a lower, longer payments, with a full coverage new car warranty.

We own a Kia Sorrento. I am not sure if this would be large enough for three car seats, but the warranty was terrific. I would look at whatever model fits your immediate needs with room to grow. In other words don't shop by price so much as you might getter a new/newer vehicle for the same monthly payment as some of the used prices that you've listed.

Here is just one link that features a Consumer Reports article on the top family Vans/Suvs Best Minivans and SUVs for Hauling the Family - Consumer Reports

I also did a ton of research back when we were shopping for an SUV. That was 2011. Honda Pilot at that time was among the highest rated, but we are oldsters, with no small children so we did not need that much SUV.

We bought a KIA because of the warranty, and because KIA had at that time out performed the Honda smaller SUV according to the Car and Driver magazine...I like their road test comparisons on cars and check them as well as Consumer Reports, and of course word of mouth from friends etc.

I hope that you find exactly what you want.

Car Reviews - New Cars for 2016 and 2017 at Car and Driver

Best Minivans and SUVs for Hauling the Family - Consumer Reports This article has some actual owner reviews of a few that you mentioned.
We looked at every SUV (almost) and it just doesn't fit our needs. With 2 or 3 car seats in the second row, there is no access to the 3rd row and the second row becomes CRAMPED. With the 3rd row up, we lose all cargo space in the back, and double strollers and all the other baby gear take up a lot of space. Once we sat in a mini van, we knew it was the way to go.

I bought my Hyundai Elantra back in 2010 for the exact same reason - the warranty. Never had to use it though. I've taken care of the car and it's given me zero problems. I was hoping that a 2016 Kia would yield similar results. That's why I'm debating. The only downside to the Sedona is that it gets an average of 19mpg while the Odyssey gets 22pmg. Not sure how big of a deal it is. We plan to do mostly city driving, with highway drives on longer road trips once or twice a year, so it might not be an issue for us as the city mpg on both Sedona and Odyssey is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:59 AM

364 posts, read 635,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Yeah that's the idea, but I'm trying to avoid it if I can. My parents will help, but I still want to be there when we do the sale. I'm 20 weeks pregnant, so I got about 8 weeks to go before I can't travel anymore. My parents offered to buy the car (with my paperwork) and drive it down - not sure how that would work...
You may be able to buy the vehicle from NJ dealer and have them ship it to you for less than buying one locally or try to get a more local dealer come close in price on a similar vehicle (maybe....).

Old 01-18-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
You may be able to buy the vehicle from NJ dealer and have them ship it to you for less than buying one locally or try to get a more local dealer come close in price on a similar vehicle (maybe....).
I thought about that too. Only problem with shipping is that I won't be able to look at it or have anyone else, like a mechanic to look at it. So it's a risk to take. I'm looking at Carvana and their prices are pretty good. Still a little more than I could get in NJ or FLA, but when you take out the travel or shipping costs and add in that they have a 7 day money back guarantee allowing me to take it to my mechanic, it might make sense.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Saw it on the lot Saturday. 30K miles, 2016 LX for $18,500.
Well, get it then. Honda and Toyota have a cult following that tends to whitewash every problem they have. Kias by all accounts are just as good if you don't care what logo is staring at you.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 AM

364 posts, read 635,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Well, get it then. Honda and Toyota have a cult following that tends to whitewash every problem they have. Kias by all accounts are just as good if you don't care what logo is staring at you.
Yeah I know a number of people that have bought cars online and I agree that would be my concern too. There may be an independent mechanic that you could arrange around there to inspect it first but you aren't familiar with them. Also, I don't know if it would be tough to schedule being in another state.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
I'll throw it out there. I saw quite a handful of brand new leftover 2016 Ody EX for sale in my neighborhood. They were advertised last weekend for 29 grand. Its possible to get them even less if you aren't too picky.

for 7 grand more than your budget, forget the 100k miles of Ody that is a few years old.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
Quote:
Yes, all models post 2007 have had the issue fixed. No longer a problem.
Problem was fixed with the 2005 models. In 2007, an entirely new trans system was installed, so some confusion enters in on the dates. Pull up the data and you will see a dramatic drop off in trans problems from the 2004 to 2005 model years.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:55 AM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Quote:
Yes, my parents live in NJ and the prices there are $3-4K lower on these Odyssey's. The problem where I am is a 2012 with 90K miles is running $22K. In NJ, I can find one with like 50K miles for $18K. But I am in NC and would then have to go to NJ to do the sale etc.
In my state, WA, we can transfer the title of vehicle for free to a family member, you should look into if your state has any similar laws, it might save you thousands and make it worth your folks taking a long drive down.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:57 AM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Though, a four grand savings, even without the free transfer would make it worth while in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Though, a four grand savings, even without the free transfer would make it worth while in my opinion.
Yes I agree. My concern is mainly that I would have to buy it over the phone, then show up and make sure it's not a piece of junk

That's why I started thinking KIA, we have many available locally at a good price with few miles. But, the reputation is what is worrying me. We will go test drive this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive