Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

While driving down a one way street in a dark night a pedestrian wearing a black hood crossing the street without ever looking just kept walking slowly across the street. Had I not noticed him, he's a goner.

How many times has that happened? I can't count but a few times already and I was driving below 30 on a road some people zip through at 40+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:56 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
While driving down a one way street in a dark night a pedestrian wearing a black hood crossing the street without ever looking just kept walking slowly across the street. Had I not noticed him, he's a goner.

How many times has that happened? I can't count but a few times already and I was driving below 30 on a road some people zip through at 40+
Just part of the new "America". Pedestrians have the right of way. All cars should stop as soon as a foot leaves a curb or sidewalk.

How much sense does that make...... a person vs an automobile... duh! Guess who loses every time in that encounter. I would much rather resort to the good old days of "look both ways before stepping off a curb".
Safety first if I'm walking.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:11 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I saw this every day when we lived in San Francisco, especailly among young people & Asians, they just walk right out, it is downright scary.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
I see it every time I go to the grocery store. People pushing a cart or carrying bags step off the curb, not only don't they turn their head to look, they don't even stop walking. Just straight ahead with blinders across traffic and then walk in the middle of the parking isle. In their own little world.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Just part of the new "America". Pedestrians have the right of way. All cars should stop as soon as a foot leaves a curb or sidewalk.

How much sense does that make...... a person vs an automobile... duh! Guess who loses every time in that encounter. I would much rather resort to the good old days of "look both ways before stepping off a curb".
Safety first if I'm walking.
I don't know about right of way when I couldn't see or anticipate a pedestrian in the middle of a dark quiet road.

Then there's a few cases where 2 teenagers intentionally walked into front of my car and made me hit the brakes hard. I can't believe they did it because they are gambling with their lives. That's ok, one day they'll get it and they won't live with today's cars that are over 4000lbs.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
Incidents like this are why I consider getting a dash cam sometimes. Some pedestrians are just idiots but others could be insurance scammers.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
These IDIOTS are surviving in spite of their STUPIDITY.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:13 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I see this often and consider it a sign of arrogance.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:43 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
I had a close call with someone who crossed in a very risky way near the merge point from the ramp going from Baltimore Avenue (north bound) onto Fort Meade Road (east bound). There is a marked crosswalk near the beginning of the ramp. I approached the ramp and did like I normally do, first checked the crosswalk (there was no one in it or about to enter it), and then turned my head to look for approaching vehicles on Ft. Meade Rd (no merge area from this ramp!). When I turned back, I saw someone dashing across very near the actual merge point, completely ignoring the location of the crosswalk...not only did I slam the brakes but my heart almost jumped out! Sorry, but geez, if we have to check for every possible jaywalking maneuver plus normal vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic, a lot of these intersections would be virtually impossible to drive through. I don't have eyes on every side of my head, and there WILL be some moment in time when I have to turn my head to the side...please folks don't dash in front of cars like this!

Last edited by ncole1; 01-26-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Incidents like this are why I consider getting a dash cam sometimes. Some pedestrians are just idiots but others could be insurance scammers.
I have a dash cam and I did film the guy in the dark hood jacket walking in front of me. But like I said it was so dark the camera only showed a blur of him. He's lucky to be alive that I wasn't in a rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive