Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Most male teens around here drive F-150s or Silverados, usually with aftermarket exhausts, lift kits, and big wheels. I haven't really noticed anyone trying to race them though.

At least the "Carolina squat" fad finally seems to be dying down, thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I tend to remember that the 90's were the time for people to be driving/ modding pickups.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 AM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
It's a vast mixture where I live. The only real commonality here on the road is stupidity and the dangers that go along with it.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
Usually when an idiot floors the acceleration on a raised truck from stop sign, I cannot help but think about that person's single digit IQ...

If one wants to be "fast/furious" last thing they should want, it is a heavy vehicle with high distance from the ground that will tip over at curves and cannot stop in a decent safe distance.
I think it depends on the area but I have to laugh at this statement.

A truck with a properly set up suspension is no more dangerous in a curve than your lowered car. Trucks also come equipped with much larger brakes to be able to stop in shorter distances. If you're actually setting a truck up for racing that will have been addressed and brakes upgraded as well.

I do see folks racing diesel trucks more often in my area than the ricers nowadays though.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Put the biggest brakes on that you want. It still comes down to 4 little tire patches trying to stop all that momentum with friction. A tricked out F-150 Raptor is still going to brake much more slowly than a stock Corolla.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
The tuner crowd now gravitates more towards cars like the WRX, instead of cars like the Civic/Eclipse of the 90's. Young guys have had Trucks then and now, but they are not so much the F&F crowd, although they also always liked modifying their trucks.

As for street competition, I have seen young dudes in 100 HP Saturn compacts try to race folks. I think that is just ubiquitous with young hormonal guys.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Put the biggest brakes on that you want. It still comes down to 4 little tire patches trying to stop all that momentum with friction. A tricked out F-150 Raptor is still going to brake much more slowly than a stock Corolla.

Oh ok then. Let's use a real world comparison since most kids don't drive around in a tricked out Raptor.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2...ce-tested.html

2015 Ford F150 braking distance (bone stock) - (60-0) - 129 ft

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corol...st-specs1.html
2014 Toyota Corolla braking distance (bone stock - (60-0) - 130 ft

Brake kits don't stop a truck any shorter, they just eliminate or reduce brake fade from friction. So the truck will still stop in roughly the same distance (ABS plays into this) but can do so with added weight and multiple times since the bigger brakes remove heat much quicker.

I think a lot of local people like to "race" a diesel truck because they can pull insane amounts of torque and HP out of a diesel engine much cheaper than a gas burning car.

Anyhow I digress. I love how people claim trucks are always subpar to a car.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I tend to remember that the 90's were the time for people to be driving/ modding pickups.
You're remembering the Mini-Truck movement. OP is probably referring to the raised ford/ram trucks of today.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,373 times
It's true how some kids have changed their tune and are getting into turbocharged vehicles and modding those out. I live in the desert and near snow so trucks are also a good thing to have. Lots of full size trucks with young kids/middle age and older folks out where I live. We have our fair share of lifted , 6 inch diesel exhaust tips, loud whistling turbo diesels and parking lot queen trucks.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Here it's mostly older fat guys wearing backwards baseball hats driving an over-boosted turbo diesel truck.

Some of them have modified them with hot rod roms and even added vertical smoke stacks so they can blow coal black smoke and pretend that they are driving an 18 wheeler. They also frequently leave the beast idling whenever they park.

I think it's compensation for the feelings of inadequacy do to their having small "hands".
I imagine that a few women drive the same trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive