Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Preferably, yes! Those who drive out on soft sand beaches with 2WD usually have oversized rear tires (33x12.50's) without an agressive tread in which they can air down to 10 or so pounds. They will also have a limited slip or locker installed so both rear wheels will be driving. They are usually older pickups, and van's, or the occasional modified bug as a "dune buggy". Again that is soft sand as beaches in Daytona and some other places are famous for cars and regular 2WD vehicles.

It looks like you are in NY? Which I'm thinking those beaches are the soft sand variety such as those we have here on Delmarva and the outer banks. I have done a lot of sand driving and I wouldn't consider driving a regular 2WD vehicle on these beaches. The sand is very soft.

Assateque, a few miles from my house, has restrictions and one of them is that 2WD vehicles must have a wider tread width. I think 10 inches. If that is tread width they are requiring that means about a 33x12.50 or perhaps a 32x11.50. Even if they mean overall width it is still a 31x10.50 which will still probably require a full sized truck/SUV or 4WD jeep/mid sized truck/SUV to fit! These modern, large wheel with rubber band thin sidewalls are NOT for beach driving. You need a sidewall to to expand as you air down. 2 or 4WD!

4WD will make things a lot easier on you. And even though I like aggressive tread vehicles with oversized tires, a standard 4WD with regular street tires is all you need for the beach. You'll find that aggressive treads, not aired down will want to find China! So, in my case, I make it up with oversized tires. But I like having that tread in case I need to go out in a muddy corn field to set up stands or get a deer, so that wins out. Even though I can drive on the beach without airing down, it is so much better for my motor with it aired down.

It would be the same in standard tread 4X4's. Air down. I can't stress that enough. If their is a pump at the access (such as here at Assateque) I take it down to 12 or 15 or so. If on the outer banks in NC where there are only a few pumps I air down to 20 in which I can still drive on the road.

While I'm stressing airing down, one thing to think about is that if the 4WD guy's are airing down their tires, why would one consider a 2WD? Something to think about!

A couple other pointers as things are a bit stricter here on the east coast. Dune driving is a big NO NO. So is driving on beach grass (as that is what leads to dunes) Many do gooders who have never been out of their city high rises are trying to shut the beaches down for all but turtles and birds and any random picture of someone blasting on the dunes is used as fuel. It is usually stressed pretty good on the beach regs.

Another important thing is ignore the truck advertisements of people driving through the surf. Salt water and metal don't get along and if you make it through unstuck and un burried, you can count on a destroyed vehicle. Have you ever stood right in the surf. Wave comes up and all is good, wave goes out and you sink a bit as the water takes the sand around your feet with it. Now think of a truck in that position. S.T.U.C.K

Overall, beach driving here on the east coat is not that hard but take precautions and get 4X4. Wash it really good afterwards and follow the tracks. You'll see what I mean the first time out.

And keep some tools with you, required in many places.

A jack that can lift a tire up enough to get it out

A sturdy enough board (about 2x2 square) to set the jack on.

A shoval

A tow strap. and make sure you have a place to attach it to.

and a tire guage.

And if you start to spin, don't give it more gas or you'll be searhing for china as well untill the frame is sitting on the sand. Try backing up. Thats why I like traditional 4x4's with low range. that situation you can put it in low, put it in reverse and not even touch the gas and a lot of times the truck will just crawl out the same track it went in. Just don't let the tires spin as they will just dig in.

Have fun!
Hawaii. Thanks for the informative post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Preferably, yes! Those who drive out on soft sand beaches with 2WD usually have oversized rear tires (33x12.50's) without an agressive tread in which they can air down to 10 or so pounds. They will also have a limited slip or locker installed so both rear wheels will be driving. They are usually older pickups, and van's, or the occasional modified bug as a "dune buggy". Again that is soft sand as beaches in Daytona and some other places are famous for cars and regular 2WD vehicles.

It looks like you are in NY? Which I'm thinking those beaches are the soft sand variety such as those we have here on Delmarva and the outer banks. I have done a lot of sand driving and I wouldn't consider driving a regular 2WD vehicle on these beaches. The sand is very soft.

Assateque, a few miles from my house, has restrictions and one of them is that 2WD vehicles must have a wider tread width. I think 10 inches. If that is tread width they are requiring that means about a 33x12.50 or perhaps a 32x11.50. Even if they mean overall width it is still a 31x10.50 which will still probably require a full sized truck/SUV or 4WD jeep/mid sized truck/SUV to fit! These modern, large wheel with rubber band thin sidewalls are NOT for beach driving. You need a sidewall to to expand as you air down. 2 or 4WD!

4WD will make things a lot easier on you. And even though I like aggressive tread vehicles with oversized tires, a standard 4WD with regular street tires is all you need for the beach. You'll find that aggressive treads, not aired down will want to find China! So, in my case, I make it up with oversized tires. But I like having that tread in case I need to go out in a muddy corn field to set up stands or get a deer, so that wins out. Even though I can drive on the beach without airing down, it is so much better for my motor with it aired down.

It would be the same in standard tread 4X4's. Air down. I can't stress that enough. If their is a pump at the access (such as here at Assateque) I take it down to 12 or 15 or so. If on the outer banks in NC where there are only a few pumps I air down to 20 in which I can still drive on the road.

While I'm stressing airing down, one thing to think about is that if the 4WD guy's are airing down their tires, why would one consider a 2WD? Something to think about!

A couple other pointers as things are a bit stricter here on the east coast. Dune driving is a big NO NO. So is driving on beach grass (as that is what leads to dunes) Many do gooders who have never been out of their city high rises are trying to shut the beaches down for all but turtles and birds and any random picture of someone blasting on the dunes is used as fuel. It is usually stressed pretty good on the beach regs.

Another important thing is ignore the truck advertisements of people driving through the surf. Salt water and metal don't get along and if you make it through unstuck and un burried, you can count on a destroyed vehicle. Have you ever stood right in the surf. Wave comes up and all is good, wave goes out and you sink a bit as the water takes the sand around your feet with it. Now think of a truck in that position. S.T.U.C.K

Overall, beach driving here on the east coat is not that hard but take precautions and get 4X4. Wash it really good afterwards and follow the tracks. You'll see what I mean the first time out.

And keep some tools with you, required in many places.

A jack that can lift a tire up enough to get it out

A sturdy enough board (about 2x2 square) to set the jack on.

A shoval

A tow strap. and make sure you have a place to attach it to.

and a tire guage.

And if you start to spin, don't give it more gas or you'll be searhing for china as well untill the frame is sitting on the sand. Try backing up. Thats why I like traditional 4x4's with low range. that situation you can put it in low, put it in reverse and not even touch the gas and a lot of times the truck will just crawl out the same track it went in. Just don't let the tires spin as they will just dig in.

Have fun!
This is fantastic advice

We can't take 2WD on Long Island beaches. We always air down. And those dolts who drive along the surf line? Every year there's an idiot who thinks he or she can do it. FAIL.

The idiot in this video got very lucky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4d3WJxA-M

The person in this picture did not:

Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Hawaii. Thanks for the informative post.
Your lat/long coordinates are a wee bit off.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times
I dug a 4x4 Tacoma out of the beach at Daytona a few years ago. Soft sand is closer soft snow, so tires matter.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Depends on the beach. I've driven on beaches in Martha's Vineyard, and you do need 4WD (or a good AWD) and good tires. You also need to deflate the tires down to 10-15psi to get decent traction when driving on the beach.

It's a light fluffy sand, with dunes around.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
in case something happens.
What are you afraid might happen??

Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,784 times
As others have mentioned, it really depends on the beach. I would recommend 4wd, some shovels, a tow rope and some online reading about driving on sand.

Daytona beach is really hard packed sand. On a vacation as a child we drove our rental 80's lebaron convertible on the beach with no trouble.
Flagler beach, a little north of Daytona is a completely different sand. Driving isn't permitted, but even if it was it's so loose that a 2wd would struggle at best.
Jacksonville beach, about an hour north of Flagler, is like powder. I don't think you can drive on the beach there either, but if you do I'm certain 4wd would be required.

When i Lived in North Carolina I took my truck on the beach a couple times. Even aired down in 4wd I managed to sink up to the frame. Spent about 30 minutes to self extract, but that was the last time I took my truck on a beach.
I want to keep my truck nice for at least another 10 years. Salt water eats metal and sand gets in everything. The only way I'm going on the beach is with a 4wd that I don't care about in the long term, just like when i used to 'wheel in Arizona. I'd never buy something someone else took on the beach unless it was a screaming deal.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,784 times
Quote:

Have fun!
All great advice in his entire post, but I snipped this bit. When he says the tires start to spin, he means a 1/2 rotation, not smokey car commercial burn out. When i sunk on the beach I felt the rear drop about 6 inches while slowing to park. I immediately knew I was shoveling!

The board for the jack is a great Idea, but on my last trip I wish I had some short lengths of 2x8 as well. I was able to dig a trench to drive in, but struggled to get my silverado back up on the traveled sand. I think 2 or 4 boards would have helped get back on top of the soft sand.

I had BFG Long Trails on my truck, not a tire suited for any use, honestly. Certainly didn't help me in the sand.

here's a pic from that day, you can see my channels in the sand. the distance to the water is a little deceptive, it's downhill from where I parked. I spent 2 hours under the truck with the hose and STILL find sand and sea shells when I need to fix something.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,783 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the simple unspoken rule of being easy on the gas and maintaining momentum. Even on a slightly cushy beach your average FWD can get by just fine if the driver is slow to start and consistent with the gas. If you happen to get stuck, some cheapo tire ties can be of assistance.

There's no comparison to 4WD or something like a Jeep, but I don't think that's the question being posed.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 PM

227 posts, read 391,025 times
As others have said, depends on the beach. Where we go here in St. Augustine, FL, it's sugary and deep. Not only do we need 4WD, we turn the traction control off as we're approaching the entrance. On hard packed sand I'd drive my car with no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive