Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,420 times

Advertisements

Saw this yesterday ...

2018 Buick Regal TourX Is America's Station Wagon With SUV Dreams - The Drive

and am impressed by what I see. My trusty Explorer died last year and I was in the market for a smaller SUV or crossover, but just couldn't pull the trigger on one due to, of all things, a lack of storage space. I really liked driving the Escape but there's no way my dog could fit in the back, all the storage space was vertical. I wound up buying a Taurus that can carry a whole family, including the dog, in the trunk.

This new Buick has much more WORKABLE storage space than what I saw in the Escape, plus it's a car, not a neutered truck. In my younger days I had a small wagon when my family was starting out and loved that little thing. I'm intrigued by this one, how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Recently got rid of my VW Jetta wagon. I have a C-Max which is considered a wagon, (yeah, not really a wagon, wagon). I've had many wagons over the years. Loved my 95 Caprice wagon. For me the wagon never went away.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
I think it's a great looking car, but to answer your question, no the station wagon will not make a comeback in the US. I actually work for GM as an industry analyst, and can tell you that there aren't really any new wagons in the works from competitors. It will remain a niche segment of the market for the foreseeable future. Even with this vehicle we are marketing it as more of a crossover.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I think it's a great looking car, but to answer your question, no the station wagon will not make a comeback in the US. I actually work for GM as an industry analyst, and can tell you that there aren't really any new wagons in the works from competitors. It will remain a niche segment of the market for the foreseeable future. Even with this vehicle we are marketing it as more of a crossover.
Nothing personal but I don't think industry ananlysist really have a very good grasp on what people want. My daughter plays bass guitar and we had a hard time finding something that would carry it in the back. This Buick would have been of interest if available. For years the industry said people wouldn't buy Hybrids also. They did.

For years the industry refused to offer a small diesel pickup. They finally have but only in one loaded down with options. Yes, there is a market for a small diesel pickup. Europe sells cars in large numbers that manufacturers refuse to bring here. I'd love to get hold of one of the small diesel mini campers available in Europe.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nothing personal but I don't think industry ananlysist really have a very good grasp on what people want. My daughter plays bass guitar and we had a hard time finding something that would carry it in the back. This Buick would have been of interest if available. For years the industry said people wouldn't buy Hybrids also. They did.

For years the industry refused to offer a small diesel pickup. They finally have but only in one loaded down with options. Yes, there is a market for a small diesel pickup. Europe sells cars in large numbers that manufacturers refuse to bring here. I'd love to get hold of one of the small diesel mini campers available in Europe.
No offense taken. My job actually entails forecasting sales at the model level. As part of this I do look at a lot of market research data. A lot of smaller crossovers are essentially wagons and that is what sells today. Build a wagon, raise it a few inches, add some body cladding, call it a crossover and it will sell.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
These are on the higher end of the spectrum, but they are already here, or will be very soon.
Hell Yes The Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo Is Coming To America
2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S Wagon Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver
Hoping RS6 Avant makes it...

Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
No offense taken. My job actually entails forecasting sales at the model level. As part of this I do look at a lot of market research data. A lot of smaller crossovers are essentially wagons and that is what sells today. Build a wagon, raise it a few inches, add some body cladding, call it a crossover and it will sell.
This guy is right. The market for wagons is tiny - sales reps like me love them. But crossovers and plastic clad wagons are what sells.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Do you ever feel like it's a little bit of self-fulfilling prophecy, though?

I went to a Lexus dealership when my wife was looking for a small SUV. They had two packages of RX. Meaning that they had two ways they equipped their RXs. So every car on the lot was either equipped one way or the other way.

When I asked why they did that, they said that pretty much every dealership in the area (tri-state) did the same thing with the RX. And that those were the two highest selling configurations of RX.

And I was like, "Well, if that is how all the cars on the lots of every dealership are, then of course that is what most people will have."

Not to mention people like to follow the herd, and if there are sparse offerings of what people think are a little bit strange, they're less likely to buy it even though they may really want it.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do you ever feel like it's a little bit of self-fulfilling prophecy, though?

I went to a Lexus dealership when my wife was looking for a small SUV. They had two packages of RX. Meaning that they had two ways they equipped their RXs. So every car on the lot was either equipped one way or the other way.

When I asked why they did that, they said that pretty much every dealership in the area (tri-state) did the same thing with the RX. And that those were the two highest selling configurations of RX.

And I was like, "Well, if that is how all the cars on the lots of every dealership are, then of course that is what most people will have."

Not to mention people like to follow the herd, and if there are sparse offerings of what people think are a little bit strange, they're less likely to buy it even though they may really want it.
No I don't think it is a self fulfilling prophecy. Research data clearly shows that more people prefer the higher ride height of a crossover to the lower height of a wagon or sedan.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:58 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Wagons are unpopular (like minivans) with the soccer mom set. While they aren't seen as cool, lift them and put a fancy badge on them and suddenly that snazzy SUV becomes the ultimate kid hauler/starbucks cruiser!

Much like pickups that never haul anything but home depot mulch twice a year, 4X4's that never go offroad or sportscars that never see a racetrack much of the car selling is based on image. Nobody dreams of piloting a wagon or minivan and looking good doing it.

Old men like wagons (so they can brag about hauling full sheets of plywood) or taking Jr and all his friends to college in the big wagon while getting 33 mpg! Wagons are practical but I wouldn't buy one.

I think the Jetta wagon 6 speed had a "best of both worlds" vibe. The diesel version was impressive when it got over 45 mpg but I have zero use for a small wagon. If you need a people hauler (minivan/wagon) is fine, but I would rather take two cars instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive