Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times

Advertisements

According to my research, your engine produces peak torque at 3600 RPM, and peak HP at 5200 RPM. Therefore, your powerband is from 3600-5200.

When RPMS drop to around 3600 or 3700, this is when you should downshift. When you are in the correct gear, you will be able to accelerate going up the grade, but hold the truck at a steady speed with the engine RPMs at or near peak HP. And of course, watch your temperature gauge. If it gets hot, shut off the AC, roll the windows down and turn the heater on full blast.

Since you have an automatic, you may wish to consider having the transmission serviced prior to this move, and perhaps the differential as well. Climbing hills can cause transmission fluid and differential fluid temperatures to heat up considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:15 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
This time of year you shouldn't have trouble with the transmission overheating, but the reason for keeping the RPMs up is to push more transmission fluid through the radiator. You may want to do a drain and fill on the transmission fluid after you get to your destination. If your truck still has a radiator dipstick, you can check transmission fluid color with a white paper towel. Compare it with fresh fluid, and if it is discolored, change it.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:02 AM

4,862 posts, read 2,673,519 times
I wouldn't even turn off the overdrive unless in the mountains..put in drive and go..it's an automatic, it'll downshift by itself if if it needs to..

Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Pay attention to whether it shifts all the time. If it's shifting between overdrive and drive then lock it out. Older vehicle. Lock it out of overdrive and keep the oil flowing.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
According to my research, your engine produces peak torque at 3600 RPM, and peak HP at 5200 RPM. Therefore, your powerband is from 3600-5200.

When RPMS drop to around 3600 or 3700, this is when you should downshift. When you are in the correct gear, you will be able to accelerate going up the grade, but hold the truck at a steady speed with the engine RPMs at or near peak HP. And of course, watch your temperature gauge. If it gets hot, shut off the AC, roll the windows down and turn the heater on full blast.

Since you have an automatic, you may wish to consider having the transmission serviced prior to this move, and perhaps the differential as well. Climbing hills can cause transmission fluid and differential fluid temperatures to heat up considerably.
I don't have A/C yet - bought an aftermarket kit, but haven't installed it yet. It's one of the heavy things I need to haul LOL. Funny thing there, I asked my renter's insurance provider if the A/C kit would be covered if it was to get stolen while making this move, and she said yes, since it's not part of the vehicle yet - yay on that! The A/C kit is worth as much as the truck nearly lol.

Okay, so it sounds like just slow and steady wins the race, and that even if it's revving a little high, as long as it's not overheating that's good.

Most of the trip will not be strenuous on the truck. But, that pass by Mt. Shasta is a climb of around 4,000 feet, I think. The large semis often drive really slowly on the shoulder which they actually use as a lane. So, it's not like I'd hinder traffic if I just took it super slow.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Pay attention to whether it shifts all the time. If it's shifting between overdrive and drive then lock it out. Older vehicle. Lock it out of overdrive and keep the oil flowing.
Okay, thanks. I did notice when I drove this same trip with an empty truck, that the truck wanted to shift a lot over that pass. Like it couldn't figure out what gear to be in. I wasn't sure if I should take it out of overdrive or what, so I just let the truck do it's thing. Gas mileage was normal, and it never overheated (this was about a month ago), so I just let the truck figure out what it wanted to do.

I like the convenience of automatic transmissions now that I'm older and have joint issues, etc. But, I find them harder to figure out. It's just weird not to be in control, I guess. I always wonder if I should be helping it out somehow.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I wouldn't even turn off the overdrive unless in the mountains..put in drive and go..it's an automatic, it'll downshift by itself if if it needs to..
Quote:
Okay, what your posts together tell me is that if it's shifting a lot, I could turn off the overdrive and see if it helps. If not, might as well put it back in OD and let it do it's thing.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, thanks. I did notice when I drove this same trip with an empty truck, that the truck wanted to shift a lot over that pass. Like it couldn't figure out what gear to be in. I wasn't sure if I should take it out of overdrive or what, so I just let the truck do it's thing. Gas mileage was normal, and it never overheated (this was about a month ago), so I just let the truck figure out what it wanted to do.

I like the convenience of automatic transmissions now that I'm older and have joint issues, etc. But, I find them harder to figure out. It's just weird not to be in control, I guess. I always wonder if I should be helping it out somehow.
You would be okay to lock it it out.
Quote:
Okay, what your posts together tell me is that if it's shifting a lot, I could turn off the overdrive and see if it helps. If not, might as well put it back in OD and let it do it's thing.
Leave it here it out of overdrive if there's any doubt.

Overdrive has the output of the transmission spinning faster than the speed of the engine. The gears are the leverage that move the pickup and trailer down the road.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
You would be okay to lock it it out.

Leave it here it out of overdrive if there's any doubt.

Overdrive has the output of the transmission spinning faster than the speed of the engine. The gears are the leverage that move the pickup and trailer down the road.
I don't understand all of what you said. But, what I surmised is that if I just take it out of overdrive, it will be better. Do I have this right? Taking it out of OD won't hurt anything, right?

And if I turn off OD, do I need to adjust anything? Drive slower, etc.?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Oh you guys are all so awesome! Yes, I can turn off overdrive with just a button.
You all are giving me the confidence to do this. Thank you so much.
Quote:
I don't understand all of what you said. But, what I surmised is that if I just take it out of overdrive, it will be better. Do I have this right? Taking it out of OD won't hurt anything, right?

And if I turn off OD, do I need to adjust anything? Drive slower, etc.?
I would stay out of OD if you have a load + towing a load. Can probably safely drive 60 mph w/ OD, you will just use more fuel (as you will anyway).

OD makes heat and puts too much stress on the internals of tranny (low mechanical advantage, like picking up a rock / sledge hammer with your arm extended).

I do recommend a tranny cooler ($100) gauge ($30) if it is gonna be over 70-F temp (and why I often drive mtns at night).

Your truck will be happier if you down shift BEFORE you get too steep / too slow of engine speed, If you have a tach (RPM) practice a few hard accelerations and see what RPM it shifts UP, then down shift about 500 RPM slower that it likes to shift UP.

Are you sure you don't want to drive south on 101? (not sure where your destination is).
I did that last yr (north bound) with a trailer, only cuz I wanted French Toast at Samoa Cookhouse (and Siskyou Summit was snowed in). Coast was freezing fog, so that plan backfired (but I still got my French Toast)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive